Reminder Secure

Depression and Life.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
20 January 2013 15:56
Marty_W
Photographer

I'm reading a book called Chimp Paradox. Its written by some Dr. I was given it by my
uncle as he could see my world spiralling out of control.
Its about controlling your emotions 'the chimp' part of your brain, everyone has a chimp, some
control it better than others.
You may laugh reading this or think what the hell! But its quite good, I'm reading it and
The examples are me to a T.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2013 17:11
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Hi

This site may be of interest.

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk

The services are geared to Scotland.  However the advice can be used by all.

David
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Moi is off-line
20 January 2013 18:19
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

As most people have said your GP is your best route, they should be able to offer you a number of different ways forward not just medication, although medication can be a good first step

Be honest with your doctor and dont just say yes to things you dont think are appropriate for you

Good luck
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Anthonygh is off-line
21 January 2013 05:30
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Cognitive Therapy is the way to go......it is about having positive thoughts.

Obviously it is a bit more involved than that.....but in essence it is about learning how to develop a positive attitude and focusing on it...and how to push negative thoughts aside and not dwell on them. But a bit more than that as well....it involves how to deconstruct your thoughts and being less emotional about them.

It is also about problem solving. Looking at what the root of the problem is and resolving it rather than living and coping with it. There might be several issues that feed on one another...so learning to separate them out is another technique.

The whole process is something we all do at times to deal with life (and some people are predisposed to do it naturally...we are called optimists!!)...a cognitive therapist is just more expert in training people with deeper issues to deal with them....and will largely see some form of mental training as the answer

Mao Zhu Photography is off-line
21 January 2013 05:36
MaoZhu
Photographer

Wiltshire
Warminster

Quote from add_barkaway
thanks for the responses everyone, bipolar had crossed my mind before but my doctor didnt think it is, im currently on citilapram which i have been on for a while. cutting down on th ecarbs maybe worth a go as i do eat alot of pasta.
my energy levels are all over the place so i struggle with the gym but am trying more now.

my work just scares me so much, this new photography job is my dream but i just cant seem to get things working the way i want it too.
its mad i bought a house just over a year ago but yet i dont feel proud im a home owner if anything it just scares me more.

Not wanting to argue with your GP but bipolar is something that needs to be assessed by a psychiatrist. The problem with bipolar is that your GP will only see you when you attend with depression, they very rarely see you when you are in mania because you are feeling good, in fact to good. If you have the suspicion that you are bipolar start to keep a mood diary fill it out every day also try to recall your mood history when you felt high when you felt low. Once you have all of that info then go and see your GP and ask for an assessment by an appropriate person. Also go on the web and find some bipolar web sites and go through them. I hope that you are not bipolar as it is not a very nice condition, but if you are it needs dealing with properly and if you are and it is dealt with properly life can become normalised.

21 January 2013 06:14
jadestiff1991
Model

I believe counseling works best... It doesn't mean ur mad it just means u want some1 to talk to where the information goes no further, u get advisement also feel some1 is listening, doesn't work for every1 but was the best thing I did... Maybe q form if charity work? Do something to make u feel good and make new friends outside your normal world? Just some ideas that avoid anti depressants

Best of luck anyway! It's not nice feeling that way x
If you cant change the direction of the wind - adjust your sails.

diipii is off-line
26 January 2013 11:49
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

You don't have to be in a relationship to be happy.
You don't have to be thin to be happy, healthy, yes, happy, no.
You don't have to be rich to be happy.
You don't have to look like George Clooney with a willy the size of the Humber Estuary to be happy.
Happiness is a state of mind not circumstances.
Daft little things can make you happy.
Not taking yourself or things too seriously can make you happy.
Not setting impossible goals makes you happy.
Not listening to fools definitely makes you happy.
Mentally calling me a pretentious old fart can make you happy...be my guest.

It only happens all the time.

Liz Pawley is off-line
27 January 2013 17:57
Lizzie_P
Photographer
Lizzie_P
North Yorkshire
Yarm/Middlesbrough

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

" Hibby " is off-line
27 January 2013 18:37
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from diipii
You don't have to be in a relationship to be happy.
You don't have to be thin to be happy, healthy, yes, happy, no.
You don't have to be rich to be happy.
You don't have to look like George Clooney with a willy the size of the Humber Estuary to be happy.
Happiness is a state of mind not circumstances.
Daft little things can make you happy.
Not taking yourself or things too seriously can make you happy.
Not setting impossible goals makes you happy.
Not listening to fools definitely makes you happy.
Mentally calling me a pretentious old fart can make you happy...be my guest.

Fair enough BUT clinical depression is completely different from not feeling happy.

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Chebella91 Stephieb27
Blancho cliffc davojj djb1 frank4 GerryS2 iestyn marcblackie rscott360