Reminder Secure

Merged: Warning for sending cameras by Royal Mail & Li-Ion Batteries

Matthew G is off-line
18 January 2013 14:50
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

This is just a warning to stop others from experiencing what I'm experiencing at the moment, On Monday I sent my camera that I sold to Sweden using Royal Mail International SIgned for. The post office didn;t ask what was in the package and on my way out they handed me a leaflet. The leaflet is extremely confusing but basically says you cant send lithium batteries through international post now unless they are inside of teh device. This obviously means that you can''t send spares either. 

I called Royal Mail on Tuesday and asked them about it and they were very vague. Yesterday I called them again and was told that my parcel was probably being held at Heathrow and would probably be returned to me. This obviously causes me and the buyer of it huge problems It is insured but I can;t put a loss clain in for a month! The estimated delivery time was 4 days!! 

Aparantly the post office were supposed to ask me what I was sending and then they would inform me of the regulations and ask specific questions but their computer system was down so they couldn't!! 

So the short of it is DON'T SEND CAMERAS BY ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONALY 

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/terms-and-conditions/compensation-and-delivery#danger1

CSD Images is off-line
18 January 2013 15:02
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

That pretty much screws up everyone sending that type of parcels abroad since courier services generally require you to have a business account these days.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

HowardJ is off-line
18 January 2013 16:44
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

The leaflet says you CAN send them if they're connected to a device such as a phone or camera, so I guess put the battery in the camera OR put the spare in a suitable package to eliminate the risk of crushing or short circuit.

Royal Mail leaflet is at http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/International-prohibitions-and-restrictions-leaflet-consumers.pdf

The leaflet says the electronic device is prohibited if its sent with a lithium battery that's not connected to it too.

There is a separate note in the leaflet saying you can still send the lithium batteries if they're protected from short circuit, so presumably the terminals covered and in rigid packaging with a limit of 4 cells or 2 batteries per package.

Wacky rules.

HowardJ is off-line
18 January 2013 17:14
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I wonder if connecting one battery to the battery charger is also ok. That should protect the battery from short circuit and crushing, so that would allow you to send at least two batteries.

Matthew G is off-line
18 January 2013 18:16
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from HowardJ
, so I guess put the battery in the camera OR put the spare in a suitable package to eliminate the risk of crushing or short circuit.......................................There is a separate note in the leaflet saying you can still send the lithium batteries if they're protected from short circuit, so presumably the terminals covered and in rigid packaging with a limit of 4 cells or 2 batteries per package. Wacky rules.

Can you point me to this leaflet that says you can send lithium batteries internationaly? I put in my first post that according to Royal Mail they have to be connected to the device. The battery was placed in its plastic front container that it was shipped in from Canon. It was then placed in a plastic bag ( that it came in) The battery was then placed in the cardboard box inside another cardboard box. It was then wrapped in bubble wrap and finally had an external plastic postal bag on it. Thats five or six layers of protection.... And apparantly it is still 'dangerous goods' 

The rules are ridiculous and wrong as that is the way that Canon send them from Japan to the UK. This entire rule change was brought on by an air crash in 2010 near Dubai when a UPS 747 crashed due to what they believe may have been caused by an explosion of a number of Lithium batteries that were packed together and short circuited. 

Ironically i have had several computer and phone Lithium batteries expand to close to double the size. It always has happened when they are connected to the device and the batteries drain when the device is switched off. There is a risk with Lithium batteries but generally more risk when connected than when unconected and shielded against short circuit.

Aegean is off-line
18 January 2013 18:36
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

It seems that Boeing, with all their millions of dollars, can't get lithium batteries to be safe even wheb built into the Dreamliner. What chance do we have?

I can see the headine "Camera battery posted by MG downs airline. All souls lost. Boeing deny all liability because of MG's negligence in posting a single AAA lithium battery without it being packed in a 100kg firesafe."

As usual the Royal Mail continue to prove dsily that they could run the business efficiently so long as no one posts anything.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

HowardJ is off-line
18 January 2013 18:42
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from MG
Can you point me to this leaflet that says you can send lithium batteries internationaly?

Sure, it's says you can in the large box (entitled "the following items are allowed in the international mail") at the bottom of page 2 of the PDF I provided the link to in my post. Provided they're in the camera you can send them internationally. Just put the battery in the camera before you pack it and you've complied with their regulations and its no longer considered dangerous. Attach a spare to the battery charger and I guess you can argue that's also protecting it from short circuit and crushing.

Presumably they view the circuitry of the camera and the protection of its casing to be sufficient to allow them to be shipped in the device.

HowardJ is off-line
18 January 2013 18:54
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I guess if you were shipping a battery grip you put the two batteries in it before shipping and thus be compliant.

Digital cameras are given as a specific example, so I don't see how they can argue

Matthew G is off-line
18 January 2013 19:34
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

the problem is you can't guess Howard. I used common sense and my camera is in timbuck two right now and I have no idea when or if I'll get it back. Of course I suggested that if it was deemed dangerous why didn't they just open the box and put the battery in the camera and send it on it's way... Especially as it was the post offices fault for not making me aware as their computer system was down... Royal mail say the post office has nothing to do with them...

And around in circles we go! I used to think people that say the world has gone mad were a bit mad themselves but I truly think that the world has gone mad!

Profile Pictures is off-line
18 January 2013 19:47
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

A slight aside, I lost a hard drive a while back through royal mail international signed for. When the non recipient let me know there was no parcel his end I called royal mail who said they weren't able to prove the times whereabouts after it left uk?

Dhl, smarmy, expensive but reliable.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE Carliegomez24 DareMeDD ElleLaura numberonelozza RoxyMendez Terrym2010
ad360photo Andrewmoon bbphotos cliffc davejohn diphoto eyecandiphotography gazzer59 gerry99111 hylander Jph1954 Millzy82 paulgooddy philippahh pmeswani redbaron shootsyou sigmasd14 sinimiphotography stevegosh Swyftie tazr2 thestarglider