Need a car!

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
16 January 2013 17:05
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

I've been modelling for what, 6 months now?
I've enjoyed it a lot, obviously now that I'm at college I limit myself to a shoot or 2 a week..
It's come to my attention that I really need a car to get to shoots and back- I mean whilst public transport is okay, it's very specific on times... there are delays and it's pretty expensive.
It seems all my friends are getting cars from parents etc apart from me, I literally have no help from them whatsoever (not that I'm expecting to, I mean I'm 19 now, I should really be paying for my own stuff)
Any other models/photographers in/have been in the same boat?
Just frustrates me when my friends are getting cars and the most they need to travel is 5 minutes to college.

Jenelle_James is off-line
16 January 2013 17:10
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

and it doesnt get any better, im 28 and still have no car, ive lived away from home(from the eggs nest) since i was 17, ive had to pretty much do everythin on my own to support myself simply because my family is broke, stone cold broke, just gettin by themselves, and not on luxeries just living, food, heat and thats about it, i understand the frustration everyone i know has a car but me, its at the point now though getting the car even a second hand one isnt the problem, the insurance is the problem now, totally ridiculous.

16 January 2013 17:17
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from Jenelle_James
and it doesnt get any better, im 28 and still have no car, ive lived away from home(from the eggs nest) since i was 17, ive had to pretty much do everythin on my own to support myself simply because my family is broke, stone cold broke, just gettin by themselves, and not on luxeries just living, food, heat and thats about it, i understand the frustration everyone i know has a car but me, its at the point now though getting the car even a second hand one isnt the problem, the insurance is the problem now, totally ridiculous.

Same. I think it does really help having 'well off' parents. With a lot of things- it's just luck whether you are born into one or not.
Whilst I think having to push yourself further in order to subdue yourself from the irritation of never being able to 'have' things as a child (holidays, nice clothes, weekends away, pets, anything thats a luxury basically) it is frustrating especially when a few of your friends are intentionally jobless and just sponging off their folks. One of them had the nerve to say
'I feel really superior when driving past pedestrians'
I almost wanted to scream saying
'Did you pay for your car or the billion other expenses that go with it? No. So you are not superior in any way shape or form.'

16 January 2013 17:26
Webbo2
Photographer

I'm 23 so it's not too long since I was in college. I really really wanted a car when I was at college, and just like you I was frustrated by those who had brand new cars bought for them. As a student, working part time it just wasn't going to happen, I couldn't afford it and had to go without. Eventually finished college and started working full time, passed my test at 20, spent £1k on a car and in the last 3 years I've spent somewhere between £2.5k and £4k a year running my car.

A car is so great, love having access to one, but I don't see it being plausible as a student without help from parents.
EYUP!

Jenelle_James is off-line
16 January 2013 17:35
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

i guess the only good that comes out of a situation like that(having nothing, no holidays, no decent clothes growing up etc as u say) is the appreciation that comes later in life or as u become an adult, things are treasured more like certain relationships with people, when the time comes to have a first holiday(my first is due this year) it will mean so much more to someone less privaliged than to someone who has been going on holiday every year or so since childhood. because to them its the norm, sure they will be generally excited about getting some sun but overall its a different experience to someone who has basically had nothing. I also know some people who think others are beneath them and i dont have time for people who look down their noses at others(some people not all) and therefor they are not relavent in my life. I have a 6 yr old boy, and the first thing that comes to mind as far as he is concerned is ensuring he has an upbringing nothing like mine and i stick my neck out as far as the end of the galaxy to make sure he gets a good time or nice things(within reason and when relevant) and when the time comes for him to drive i want to be in a possition to at least give him a start when it comes to saving for a car or sorting out the lessons/driving license etc its nice to give something but not everything or else the end result is a snobbish person

Quote from angelique110
Same. I think it does really help having 'well off' parents. With a lot of things- it's just luck whether you are born into one or not. Whilst I think having to push yourself further in order to subdue yourself from the irritation of never being able to 'have' things as a child (holidays, nice clothes, weekends away, pets, anything thats a luxury basically) it is frustrating especially when a few of your friends are intentionally jobless and just sponging off their folks. One of them had the nerve to say 'I feel really superior when driving past pedestrians' I almost wanted to scream saying 'Did you pay for your car or the billion other expenses that go with it? No. So you are not superior in any way shape or form.'

SINderella Rockafella is off-line
16 January 2013 17:36
SINderellaRockafella
Model
SINderellaRockafella
Lancashire
Wigan

I'm 22, I've saved my ass off and have paid upfront for all my driving lessons, brought a car, got it taxed and MOT'd and have it insured under my Husband's insurance (Only £600 instead of £1600), I've booked my driving test and have till the 30th Jan to get up to test standard. It's rubbish but the only way is to save. I spent September, October and November working seven days a week to get the spare cash to pay off bills plus save. Lots and lots of luck sweet, you'll do it one way or another SRx
"T'aint no SIN to take off your skin and dance around in your bones."

16 January 2013 17:53
tomwhipp
Photographer

just out of interest have you considered a moped/scooter? you can get one new for £5-600 and the insurance would be a fraction of that for a car.

it may be completely impractical for you (and certainly more chilly in this weather) but it would give you options other than public transport.

16 January 2013 18:44
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from tomwhipp
just out of interest have you considered a moped/scooter? you can get one new for £5-600 and the insurance would be a fraction of that for a car.

it may be completely impractical for you (and certainly more chilly in this weather) but it would give you options other than public transport.

I have yeah But I've heard you're not allowed to drive them on motorways and they can be very dangerous.
Plus don't they give you the 'windswept' look?

16 January 2013 18:49
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from SINderellaRockafella
I'm 22, I've saved my ass off and have paid upfront for all my driving lessons, brought a car, got it taxed and MOT'd and have it insured under my Husband's insurance (Only £600 instead of £1600), I've booked my driving test and have till the 30th Jan to get up to test standard. It's rubbish but the only way is to save. I spent September, October and November working seven days a week to get the spare cash to pay off bills plus save. Lots and lots of luck sweet, you'll do it one way or another SRx

Yeah that's what I'm planning to do, can't wait

16 January 2013 18:54
tomwhipp
Photographer

if you have a motorbike license then they are legal on motorways
i don't know the stats on safety but there certainly is more exposure

personally i probably would only get one if you where doing short trips without much dual carriageway stuff involved. but just thought it's throw it in as an option because it could become 60 quid a month including the loan, insurance and fuel at which point it may be cheaper than your public transport.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Caz0054 Charlotte90 Chebella91 scarlettfoxett
63jian AndiCallen andrewmoon antoinewynn antonart Auctioneer bob clarmike cps david1500 Einstein eosfan geoffmarchant Jph1954 Ladiesman Lanedor Look_Sharp Mikeoj modjo30 Moodie nemesis normant ozzie photo3 RCBB xposed
photo3