Reminder Secure

The English county with the longest coastline is....???

Razoir is off-line
23 January 2013 13:58
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

For the purposes of determining coastline length, surely the only way to define 'coastline' when considering estuaries would be to take the limit of ingress of salt water. If the river outflow is quite heavy then the sea is unable to encroach into the river by very much. If you look at the Amazon (yes, I know it is not in Cornwall!) the out-thrust is so strong that you can see a clear delineation between the sea water and the fresh water (due to sediment in the sea water) some miles out to sea. So that makes the decision even more complicated.

Incidentally, Devon and Cornwall Constabulary definitely have more miles of coastline than any other police service but did you know that they also have more miles of roads than any other police service and TWO huge parks, Bodmin and Dartmoor. (Exmoor, of course, is in Somerset). The Metropolitan Police District fits almost exactly into Dartmoor!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

diipii is off-line
26 January 2013 11:34
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

It amuses me enormously that people actually need this information.
It only happens all the time.

Anthonygh is off-line
01 February 2013 12:49
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from SuzyMonty
Why do you want to know? Are you planning a Charity Coastal walk...so the more mileage, the more money goes to charity?

•  

I am considering undertaking a bit of a project later this year...photographing all of the longest and shortest English coastline.

If Kent or Essex are longest then not a great problem location wise......Cornwall would be more of a challenge as I would have to find accommodation for a few weeks probably...unless I can persuade my cousin to loan me his yacht...a long shot I suspect!!surprise

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2013 16:10
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from anthonyh
I am considering undertaking a bit of a project later this year...photographing all of the longest and shortest English coastline.

If Kent or Essex are longest then not a great problem location wise......Cornwall would be more of a challenge as I would have to find accommodation for a few weeks probably...unless I can persuade my cousin to loan me his yacht...a long shot I suspect!!surprise

Good luck with the project. A few years ago I set myself the target of photographing the Dorset coast from Highcliffe to Lyme Regis, had some fantastic days out getting to those places which a car can't meaning a lot of peace and quiet and beautiful scenery.
It was broken when I got here

EdT is off-line
02 February 2013 05:55
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from JeromeRazoir

Incidentally, Devon and Cornwall Constabulary definitely have more miles of coastline than any other police service but did you know that they also have more miles of roads than any other police service and TWO huge parks, Bodmin and Dartmoor. (Exmoor, of course, is in Somerset).

Should that be TWO POINT TWO NINE huge parks? Almost 1/3 of Exmoor is in Devon.

Suzy Monty is off-line
02 February 2013 11:13
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from EdT
Should that be TWO POINT TWO NINE huge parks? Almost 1/3 of Exmoor is in Devon.

When is a park not a park, when it's a 'moor' frownI love Exmoor and Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor...wonderful walking...

AnthonyH is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2013 17:49
anthonyh
Photographer

Essex

Ignore Member

Quote from SuzyMonty
Why do you want to know? Are you planning a Charity Coastal walk...so the more mileage, the more money goes to charity?

•  

A friend of ours did the whole South West coastal footpath walk with just his dog for company - so OP you are in for a treat.frownGood luck with your project,

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura heather94 Kayleigh94 Littlemiss01 lynnesel Michelledefeo1
Blancho cliffc Creativedge digitizer djb1 eosfan freddie Ianmcculloch ImageStyle kinofist LGI MIB mike0048 mrdl nige_nw panda49 Photogenic2 redbaron Robinsky Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 supaglam Willy_O Zuiko