mega plane phobia, think i need a plane buddy

Jenelle_James is off-line
11 January 2013 12:59
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

So im due my first big trip this year the the US, ive only ever been on a plane between here and Dublin. I tend to have a form of panic attack on take off and its happened everytime, im no sooner up in the air before we're getting ready to come back down again as the trip is so short to Dublin but i imagine once im up im fairly ok. although i hate what happens to me on take off and i dont especially like the idea of being in the air for 9 hours it hasnt put me off going where i want to go but i am soooooooooo petrified, worst thing is im not due to fly with anyone on this trip and im not sure if its wise i go on my own, does anyone here with plane phobia still take long flights and on their own? im trying to find someone to take the pane trip with but so far having no luck, for some reason in my head if someone was coming with me that would make me a little more at ease, the thought of going it alone terrifies me so i dont know what to do, do i just suck it up and get on with it, in that case would i be any worse on the plane and for the duration of the flight or am i best doin everything i can to find someone to go with, even though im running out of people to ask

:S

Dr Deej is off-line
11 January 2013 13:03
richie4tfp
Photographer
richie4tfp
Northamptonshire
Daventry

Have you thought of asking your doctor for some diazepam to make you relaxed over the flight?
I wouldn't mind going but I'm skint!!

beauvoir is off-line
11 January 2013 13:09
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

Yeah, I was gonna say ask your doctor for some valium. But I was also going to add on that you should send that valium over to me.

lol, jk.

Beta blockers are a decent, short term way of helping minimise the physical effects of a panic attack.

x

Dave Beasley is off-line
11 January 2013 13:09
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi Jenelle,

Firstly good for you in having the courage to go ahead and arrange the trip. I'm not over keen on flying but treat it simply as a means of getting somewhere I otherwise wouldn't be able to.
I've flown to Los Angeles 25 times in the last 22 years and still don't enjoy it any more than I first did.

I would suggest you tell the airline staff at check-in and again when you get on the plane, I'm sure they will do something so that someone can be with or at least near you.

You could also consider one of the half day "Nervous flyers" (or whatever they call them) sessions, run by one or two airlines (not sure on this as I've never researched).

When the time comes, you could even mention to the person next to you, I've held a few people's hands in my time for the reasons you give.

Above all, do it and enjoy the resultant trip to the US

Dave

CGW is off-line
11 January 2013 13:10
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

You may want to consider something like this:

http://www.flyingwithoutfear.co.uk/

11 January 2013 13:13
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

yeah if only i had a spare £255 floating about lol was looking good til i saw that, dam it!

Quote from cgwebster
You may want to consider something like this: http://www.flyingwithoutfear.co.uk/

Gary Newton is off-line
11 January 2013 13:19
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

As someone said earlier explain this to your GP and he should prescribe you a mild diazapan, the doctor will be quite use to this request and as long as you have no other medication.

Gary Newton is off-line
11 January 2013 13:24
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I work with in mental health so I have a fair idea what I'm talking about, phobia's are underestimated and not appreciated how much they control people's lives

11 January 2013 13:33
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

yeah phobias suck big time, pain in the backside, what does diazapam do exactly, i have heard of it, i dont tend to feel ill on planes i think im ok with that side, first thing i notice before take off(probably because im worryin so much) is my hands and fingers go tingly then on take off it feels like someone is pushin my head to the floor, i gather the speed and the angle of going up is making my head feel a ton weight, so because of these things combined together along with a rapid heartbeat i overall go into a tizz

andyh is off-line
11 January 2013 13:40
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

I once had a feeling about a flight I was due to take, completely out of the blue I felt as if I couldnt get on the plane because something was about to happen. It did, but not to me (BA Flight 38 happened the same day I was flying)

I had zopiclone, which worked quite nicely.
www.andyh.info/blog.php

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Baileysandcream Brightonblonde chosin
chasJ duncanjames Jobe kai_kul kizer Kjoservices mrdl nemesis pcmphotography photoman50 skinz skymouse Snooper911 stevegosh swalsh58 visions11