This thread is being watched by 1 person
natalieamanda is off-line
09 January 2013 08:51
natalieamanda
Model
natalieamanda
County Durham
darlington

Does anybody else get increasingly frustrated with having to keep explaining to people who don't model why you're happy to work on tfp/cd basis. It just seems that everytime i do a tfp shoot someones there having ago saying well you should be getting paid , why you getting your bits and bobs out fo nothing, or  the photographers only doing it for a perve! Sometimes it's like trying to talk to a brick wall the amount of times i've repeated because i enjoy it and when i shoot it gives me time to myself to do something i enjoy   , i want to learn and get better. Alot of people just don't seem to understand i know alot of girls and some male family members seem to think that somone snaps a camera and you should get paid, i even put up a joint casting the other month for a girl who didn't have a portfolio and was looking to join here who then let me down when it wasn't paid. Also was trying to do a charity calender and had girls saying they want paid even though its for charity i'm sorry but isn't the whole point of doing something for charity is that it's only the charity that benifits.   Was wondering if anybody had a way of dealing with this kind of negative attidude or any good responses that won't get me a smack in the mouth .

09 January 2013 09:03
1919_Images
Photographer

Unfortunately we live in a world where some people only see £££ signs with everything, if they dont understand its just a hobby you enjoy doing it's their problem really.

Philip Hartley is off-line
09 January 2013 09:04
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

I think in general people outside the industry just don't understand it at all and unfortunately they never will.
Best thing I could suggest is to look at it from the other side of the coin and tell them that you are getting images in exchange for your time instead of having to pay a photographer to take them.

Too many young people see some of the celebrity "models" etc. and this seems to make them think that modelling will give them access to a huge pot of money, we know different of course.

The other answer of course it not to tell them anything, after all it's not their business really.
Say what you Mean and Mean what you Say

09 January 2013 09:05
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Same reason they can't believe a) I'm not trying to Socialdisaster is a naughty person every model I meet and b) that my g/f "lets" me do this.

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Peter Hague is off-line
09 January 2013 09:14
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

It's understandable that people will see your desire to strip naked and cavort for middle-aged men for nothing more than enjoyment is both something that is sexual for you, and something that only money would persuade them to do. Equally, men taking pictures of young naked girls for enjoyment will also be seen as having a sexual (or pervy) element about it.

You probably draw the line somewhere, and have an 'only for money' or 'no money would get me to do that' for some things other people enjoy doing for free.

All you can do is tell people the truth, and either they accept it, and you, or they don't. You're not going to change peoples opinions most of the time.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

tomhl is off-line
09 January 2013 09:20
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
Ayrshire
Dumfries,Ayr,Carlisle,Glasgow,Manchester

Great to read you are doing modelling because you enjoy it and have a passion for it, and it's not about the money.

My imagination wants to see the vivid colours of reality .

Razoir is off-line
09 January 2013 09:24
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Because thick they are.

Because a nice person you are regarding work that for charity is and mean buggers is them some of.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Spike is off-line
09 January 2013 11:11
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Even though photography is my only source of income I will use TF shoots to experiment<try new ideas & just because I enjoy it - sometimes to the bafflement of my wife.

As for the charittee aspect, I do work for free for a couple of charitees I actively support, sometimes its photography other times standing around with a collection bucket.

It should however be remembered that charitees are a form of business who in some cases employ well paid marketing assistants & when these expecty me to work for free I politely decline.

See http://shouldiworkforfree.com/
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
09 January 2013 11:13
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Tell them it's art, and therefore they wouldn't understand.

Works for me.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Dave Beasley is off-line
09 January 2013 11:29
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from tomhl
Great to read you are doing modelling because you enjoy it and have a passion for it, and it's not about the money.

+1

Dave

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Craigchesham Gothic_Kitty sarahjane1
act1on Dalesdesigns Dave@studio99 digimarx digitalheavens djb1 kimsandman2 laurencejpower lukaszmarcinkowski nickdandalos Roundhouse rscott360 tonycsm whitehammerclarke