Reminder Secure

time off for family funeral...advice please

Moorlane is off-line
07 January 2013 07:45
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful comments.I agree-best not to rock the boat and as some of you have said there has probably been abuse in the past .Its just a shame that they didn't use a bit of discretion and goodwill ( goodness knows my son shows them a lot of that! ) I don't think my son has had more than 2 days off in 5 years so he is hardly a malingerer.Perhaps he should be a little harder with them himself as in..' I understand that you would appreciate me staying and helping with this but but I have finished work for the day now' but that would probably just be cut/nose/spite/face etc

Thanks everyone .Have a great 2013!

Anthonygh is off-line
07 January 2013 07:54
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

EU employment law gives a minimum 28 days paid annual leave to f/t employees.....all of which is detailed on the UK Govt website. As are the regulations regarding sick pay and time off for health reasons.

In the case of the funeral, he would have to see what his contract of employment stipulates...which by law, an employer has to provide within 11 weeks of the employee starting work.

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2013 07:56
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Alan_Jay
From the OP "He works and he gets paid for the work he does.  If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.  He enjoys working there .  Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker."

Well that seems fair to me!  Many companies do not pay sick pay and workers have to rely on Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Quote from Alan_Jay
There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible."

Nothing wrong with that so long as they stick to the rules!  If you get sacked unfairly that is a different matter of course.

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

redgauntlet is off-lineSilver Member
07 January 2013 09:02
redgauntlet
Photographer
redgauntlet
Essex
Loughton

As a Railwayman of nearly 40 years its the way of the world.
When my mum went 3 days Dad 5days as I had the funeral etc to deal with...
Grandparents and other extended family wouldn't get anything....
Compassion  none.
Sorry for your loss my condolences
Red G

HowardJ is off-line
09 January 2013 15:52
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

When my grandmother died a few years ago I was fortunate enough to be allowed time off as compassionate leave but my employer didn't have to do it. It was just the one day though.

Ella-mae is off-lineSilver Member
10 January 2013 09:04
Ellamae10
Model
Ellamae10
West Sussex
Worthing - But will travel WORLDWIDE!

Does he have a contract at all? If so, does it say anything about this in there? I have to say though that this isn't uncommon at all, my mum works for Tesco and you can only have bereavement leave there if it's your parents or your child... 

If i were him i would try talking to them to attempt to appeal to their nicer side, if you don't get anywhere, take it as holiday, and then either don't be so keen to cover for them and help them out in the future, or even better look for another job! 

On the flip side, i own a small business, and i know that if our staff wanted time off for this it would cripple us to pay them during their absence, but then i also know that we work on product margins etc for profit, car garages/mechanics - where time is also money - can be very lucrative if managed correctly

Sorry for your loss..

kiss
A neat little space to write something profound and thought provoking...

Laurence Power is off-line
10 January 2013 14:15
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

It may well be that having taken it as holiday the company will allow it as compassionate. There's nothing like sticking regidly to the rules to sort out those who are merely trying it on.
Laurence J. Power

diipii is off-line
13 January 2013 10:39
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Just take a "sickie".
It only happens all the time.

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cody Welshrose2009
chicimages crupilad djb1 dorrian gazzer59 gerry99111 grahamsphotography keltica Lpphotografix MIB peteb Robinsky Thunder_Photos wildcard