Reminder Secure

time off for family funeral...advice please

Moorlane is off-line
06 January 2013 22:24
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

My son is attending his grandmothers funeral this Friday but his workplace have told him that he will have to take the time off as a holiday as it is not 'close family'..their words.
I find this astonishing.Heres some background
He works in a large garage as a mechanic.he did his work experience at the place 6 years ago and they kept him on because they recognised that he is a good worker.He went to college and is now qualified.
He works and he gets paid for the work he does.If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.He enjoys working there .Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker.
The place seem to follow their own version of employment law as a general rule.There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible.
He works hard ,he is popular and he is flexible when they want him to work extra hours ( which he is paid for).He pays his Tax and NI and gets a pay slip every month.Can I ask for your thoughts please? Thanks

Frank Sinnott is off-line
06 January 2013 23:09
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

A harsh as it might seem if that's their stand what can he do. Sorry for you loss btw.

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2013 03:19
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

As above I'm afraid
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
07 January 2013 03:42
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

It's up to the employer. Even those that give compassionate leave often won't class grandparents as close-enough family to qualify.

I'm sorry for your loss. Given that your son has the family death to deal with, probably best to lay off him with respect to what his employer should/should not do.

Allan Marshall is off-line
07 January 2013 04:14
raven60
Photographer
raven60
Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Try contacting CAB, they have employment law help.
It seems though, if you rock the boat there.
They fire you.
So i guess, as your son likes working there.
Best to go with them.
And just take the time off.

Hope you all are feeling o/k.

Allan

Alan Johnson is off-line
07 January 2013 04:36
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

At such times as this,  sometimes things seem worse than they may ordinarily.
As far as time off on Friday is concerned,  it isn't as unusal as we might imagine for grandparents to be considered not close enough for compasionate leave.  I know quite alot of people in the same position.  Employers have to draw a line somewhere and it's quite normal for that to be for immediate family.

As to the other issues,  as Raven60 said,  probably best for your son to contact the CAB.  Employment law isn't the most clear cut and it's unlikely that anyone on these forums has a great deal of expertise in the matter.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Harvey Gordon is off-line
07 January 2013 05:00
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
London

What goes around comes around. Take it on the chin with a smile and don't let it eat at you or him... life's too short. Work hard and become indispensible or better still an employable asset in any garage ... don't focus on what you may think is an injustice, think about the chance they gave him for a solid future.

Employers have become hardened by the less than honest employees that take advantage of their kindness using all sorts of excuses, grandma's funeral being a favorite, so they tend to just take the easy route..'you want time off, fine, but I am not paying for it'. After all, and I know this sounds hard, it's your berievment , not theirs.

I am sorry for your loss

Rupert Rudd is off-line
07 January 2013 05:12
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Hes' got a paid job that he enjoys and occasionally recocognises extra effort. Not a boat to rock.

Am suprised at no sick pay. However the employer may have had paid sick lesve abused in the past by guys taking a "sicky".
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2013 05:17
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Alan_Jay

As to the other issues,  as Raven60 said,  probably best for your son to contact the CAB.  Employment law isn't the most clear cut and it's unlikely that anyone on these forums has a great deal of expertise in the matter.

What other issues?

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Alan Johnson is off-line
07 January 2013 07:44
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Quote from mph
What other issues?

From the OP "He works and he gets paid for the work he does.If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.He enjoys working there .Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker.
The place seem to follow their own version of employment law as a general rule.There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible."
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
clarmike jonnywoo
Charlottealom