This thread is being watched by 1 person
Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
06 January 2013 14:17
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

I've thought about this before, and if I were photographing people for art I'd mostly prefer men.

But, like many, I'm not.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

06 January 2013 17:28
Tansy_Blue
Model

Apart from the obvious that many photographers are straight men and - for most people - sexual interest influences aesthetic interest, I think the whole no-demand-for-men thing reinforces itself. People see great photographs of women, and strive to emulate them, using female models, there are more great pictures of women, people try to emulate them with further female models, and so on, and so on.

I personally would like to see more male art nudes out there. People tend to dismiss men for art nude, but when I've occasionally see art nudes of men they work just as well as female ones, and lots of the poses that look good on females also look good on males.

I'm not sure what this "looking gay" thing means. I didn't know it was possible to divine someone's sexuality by looking at them.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Gerry is off-line
06 January 2013 18:14
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Most of us havn't got enough time, or spare cash or both to shoot the things we really want to - why would we start shooting other things.

The things I really like shooting are as my portfolio states [art nude, some glamour and some fashion and some beauty] with female models 20 to 35 size 6 to 12 plus mountain landscapes & scenery. That is a hell of a lot of choice for me and I can achieve a lot more with that. I would probably also say that less than 1% of female models would be considered by me as even a possibility for a shoot, even if they offered to pay me. I also don't shoot newbies any more.

I would also really like to shoot far more wild life and would do that probably before anything else if I had more time.

If I wasn't working flat out 5 days a week, I'd happily shoot far more and then I would be receptive to shooting lots more variety - and that could include males, females who dont meet my criteria above, aircraft, motor racing, sport, etc.

Unfortunately, if I wasn't working flat out - most of my work would have to be TFP.

My circumstances will change as I develop and then my shooting priorities may change - but I am pretty comfortable with my choices to date and don't feel in need of any guidance on that matter or any wrestling with my concience.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
06 January 2013 21:27
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

In the three and a half years (and countless shoots) my fella and I have been shooting models together, only nine of them were males, purely because they're so hard to come by. There were a few I attempted to book who were awful at communicating to the point where arrangements went nowhere, there were a few more who kinda gave me the creeps (one wanted what he called a 'personal photographer' that had to be female and the same age as him) and then there are the few we shot who were really nice. Some were better than others but we were happy for the opportunity; male model shots are something both my partner and I would really like to do more of but they're just so few and far between, especially ones that aren't just messing about and don't really care about the images/behaving appropriately/showing up at all.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
07 January 2013 02:34
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

The market for male models is less than female models.

However the ones that make it are really good.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

misspixie is off-line
15 January 2013 17:40
misspixie
Model
misspixie
South Glamorgan
Cardiff

Quote from orsoncarter
This guy (James) is usually fairly busy: 

http://www.purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=jamesTM

I worked with him last year and he was bl**dy brilliant to work with - and a really lovely bloke. Very, very highly recommended.  

Have to agree with the Orson Carter. James is awesome!

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
16 January 2013 02:43
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

I have been told by two excellent models (Joceline & Katy Cee) that Joel Hicks is excellent.

He does look brilliant.

http://www.purestorm.com/JoelHicks

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

RubyRosetta is off-line
16 January 2013 11:29
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
I have been told by two excellent models (Joceline & Katy Cee) that Joel Hicks is excellent.

He does look brilliant.

http://www.purestorm.com/JoelHicks

Joel Hicks is exceptionally toned, very attractive, and by the looks of his profile notes a very nice and intelligent man too. I do think that people have higher standrads of what they'll take seriously in a male model. There are plenty of successful female internet models who aren't exceptionally atheletic or classically perfect facially. As modelling is more commonly associated with women, I guess a male model has more work to do to prove he isn't a vain wanabee.

I think Tansy makes her good point in considering that the bulk of inspiration for many photographers will be images of women. If you think of the sterotypical 'artist and muse relationship', the muse would still usually be assumed to be female. I think it is hard for people to break out of this dynamic.

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
NicolaWilks90
csk_photography FirstLifePhotography Fluffypup George99 photofrank Pictureimage redtail