RIP Gerry Anderson

jaejay is off-lineSilver Member
27 December 2012 15:55
jaejay
Photographer
jaejay
West Midlands
Birmingham

Every one seems to forget about the two shows he did before "Four Feather Falls". That was "Twizzle" and "Torchy the Battery Boy"

Fast Eddie is off-lineSilver Member
28 December 2012 08:43
FastEddie
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
FastEddie
West Midlands
Birmingham

I remember all of his work and Twizzle, Torchy and Four Feather Falls were some of the first programes I watched before the sci fi element appeared and I was always a big fan of all his work. I even bought TV 21st Century comic every week. Wish I still had them as they're collectors items now.
We must have been made of much tougher stuff as kids in those days though as anyone who sees clips of Torchy find the characters to be rather scary and grotesque. Can't say I ever noticed in those days though.  I couldn't see any programe maker supporting and idea where a lonely old man makes his own little boy these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0P3VnwAOXDQ

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
29 December 2012 08:03
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Twizzle (I still have the book) and Torchy were oft-repeated in the early to mid sixties before the Supermarionation series took off. Torchy was even repeated in the 1970's.

Some of the themes that Gerry Anderson incorporated into his more famous series were well ahead of their time, even though all of the series (except Joe 90 set in 2012) are still even now set in the future - he touched on deforestation, genetic modifications, exploitation of resources, misuse of nuclear power whilst the Americans were still having wet dreams about Commies in all their Sci-Fi programmes.
It was broken when I got here

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
amber6 Astramore fashion29 SuzyMonty tanyacox
63jian Add_barkaway chicimages dby47 diphoto djb1 fannmore firststudiouk frankpht Impulse_Images jackw johndt Ladiesman peteb philcarpenter61 russelanthroof SteveMFT STUDIOMERLIN xcellent
Charlottealom