Hugh is off-lineGold Member
28 December 2012 09:33
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from Pixel_Sensation

Emails had to be converted as my outlook version was old, took a while as i have quite a few emails but its all done now.

I never managed to import my emails from Outlook Express into another program with 100% accuracy - but I did have about 3 GB of them. Had to set up an XP Virtual Machine.

It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

29 December 2012 18:55
emmwood
Model

I upgraded straight from XP to 8, went perfectly smoothly for me. I backed up my files and made a note of software I wanted, taking the installers over with me where possible. I then installed 8 and put my files, settings and software back on and lost nothing and runs like a dream after upgrading memory and graphics card

Allan Marshall is off-line
30 December 2012 15:36
raven60
Photographer
raven60
Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Oh dear, i nearly made the same mistake. While running windows XP. In the end, got a new PC from PC specialst with windows7pro version.
Am very happy with this and the new PC with all up to date motherboards and graphic boards. Plus lots of ram.

Please correct me if i am wrong. Is Windows8 desgined for a touch screen pc?

Wish you all a great new year.

Allan ~~

KHV is online
30 December 2012 15:50
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I'm afraid StreetModel is correct, no backups and remember your version of XP was based on a model altered by the computer manufacturer (I'm assuming you bought this model off the shelf).

I know it is in hindsight but it would not be something I would recommend even to a MCP but your upgrade would give you at least one tech support call (although it has been many years since I worked for M'Soft) but you could have checked the box.

CSD Images is off-line
30 December 2012 15:52
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Quote from raven60 Please correct me if i am wrong. Is Windows8 desgined for a touch screen pc?

Yes and no, yes it's optimised for touch but no in that it's optimised to be device agnostic. In plain English unless you running RT Windows 8 will do everything fine on a normal deesktop. The modern UI part is the true agnostic part whereas the desktop is the legacy/business side.

That's an extremely simplified  viewpoint but you get the idea.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Millzy82 is off-line
31 December 2012 05:20
Millzy82
Photographer
Millzy82
Hertfordshire

Quote from CSD_Images Yes and no, yes it's optimised for touch but no in that it's optimised to be device agnostic. In plain English unless you running RT Windows 8 will do everything fine on a normal deesktop. The modern UI part is the true agnostic part whereas the desktop is the legacy/business side.

That's an extremely simplified viewpoint but you get the idea.

Perhaps too simplified as being device agnostic means the content, interface or application can run on any device e.g. cloud applications, which run on almost any device with internet access and a modern web browser. Windows 8's UI is compatible with any device capable of running Windows 8 whether it's a laptop or desktop with or without a touchscreen display but that's not the same as being device agnostic.

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bustybrooke9 charlotte90 Chebella91 chloejade25 Cutesick Jamie32E roxsanniebel
Antz Auctioneer ChrisD david1500 dhuntuk donaldmac gazzer59 James65 keltica Kjoservices LGI mamamiya Manchestertog1 markeos50d Martin2016 MIB modelboutique moritz78 Mph panda49 photomart riddell rscott360 siclews stephenmuddell Thechriss timbham Willjamieson