XP to Windows 8 - dont do it!

Pixel Sensation is off-line
23 December 2012 18:26
Pixel_Sensation
Photographer
Pixel_Sensation
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham/Grantham

So, i took advantage of windows 8 being only £25. I ran diagnostics, all was fine apart from a couple of programes which i was fine with.
I downloaded and installed to find all my programmes gone, all my emails, settings the bloody lot!!!
Im now installing programmes again.
The biggest problem is my emails that have gone, and my video/sound drivers have gone.
I run 2 monitors, not anymore as they have defaulted to 1 monitor with the same basic screen size - not what it actually is or was.
to say im pi$$ed off is an understatement.

Plus there was no warning this would happen...

Going to be a long few days.
So if your planning on upgrading, DONT.
It also looks the most confussing operating system yet. Half trying to be a tablet, half windows XP/7 etc. But its not made its mind up yet.

Should have stayed with my MAC - they just work...

Neil Anderson is off-line
23 December 2012 18:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It depends what you mean by warning, it seems pretty clear to me that it says you can't 'upgrade' from Xp, you have to do an install. If you are using an imap mail server it will still be on the server, you just need to re-connect to it. If you read the wizard that gives you the £25 deal I can't see how you could have expected anything else. Microsoft seem to be trying to catch up with apple by making the w7 -> w8 like a mac upgrade, but XP is just too old.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Street Model is off-line
23 December 2012 23:24
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Firstly, who in their right mind does any kind of upgrade of an OS without backing up important documents (like emails etc) before they begin? Even the most simple upgrade *can* fail and if the worst happens, at least you have the backups that you take regularly to fall back on...?

Secondly, a machine running XP is likely to be anything from 5-10 years old and is probably unlikely to run Windows 7 or 8 with any speed without upgrades to RAM and even CPU - XP will work in 256Mb (I have seen it on a machine with 128Mb and work, but it was mighty slow). Windows 8 likes 2Gb for the OS alone!

Thirdly, you take a 5-10 year old Mac and try to put the latest iteration of MacOs 10 on it and see how far you get!

I have built several Windows 8 machines and upgraded a few to 8 as well, and apart from a few apps needing 'compatibility mode' and having to show people where the 'shut-down' option is, I have had no issues whatsoever.
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Anthonygh is off-line
24 December 2012 00:53
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Since Macs now work on Intel chips software written for the earlier powermacs obviously won't work...in most instances anyway.

It is a real pity Macs are silly expensive compared to PCs...because if they were of a similar price there would be such an exodus of users from PCs to Macs....

CSD Images is off-line
24 December 2012 02:37
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Put it another way, businesses wouldn't touch Apple with a barge pole due to their policy of forced obsolescence. They also don't have any Domain wide management tools akin to Active Directory. In fact there's nothing that at all in any eco-system hence why MS will dominate in business. Home entertainment is going to shift more towards media entertainment/game systems. Next year is going to be the first that we will see a major shift away from traditional systems. As to XP -> Win 8. Back up and do a clean install, it's that simple there is no direct upgrade path to Win 8. Same with Vista it's only a partial in place upgrade. The best 'upgrade' experience comes from Win 7->8 as both are a generation apart. You will need new drivers for your OS as it's got a new driver model. You will need to re-learn how to use Windows. Windows 8 does support dual monitors as I'm doing it here. Whilst Modern UI doesn't, desktop certainly does. Remember Modern UI was designed as a start menu replacement and also for single screen environments. To put it bluntly you jumped before looking, doing some research would have shown you there would be problems and you should have come up with a simple migration plan. All the information above you found issues with can be found on sites such as ArsTechnica or WinSuperSite. The fact you don't have a back up solution means you'll have to do that now. You don't want to be caught out twice? OS X is going down this route as well, it'll be interesting to see how they merge iOS and OS X. Both Apple and Microsoft have the same strategy, the merging of desktop and mobile. They just have gone separate paths to get there.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
24 December 2012 03:10
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from StreetModel
Firstly, who in their right mind does any kind of upgrade of an OS without backing up important documents (like emails etc) before they begin?

Who in their right mind does not have at least all but the most recent documents backed up?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Pixel Sensation is off-line
24 December 2012 05:06
Pixel_Sensation
Photographer
Pixel_Sensation
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham/Grantham

thanks for your support!
It was more a warning to others and a 'don't do what i did'.
Yes i did BACK everything up... in 2 locations.
Yes i ran the diagnostics tool.
The problem was it gave a couple of warnings of compatibility and then 'buy here'.
I installed, as there was no indication it would delete stuff and it would not work. the pain is having to go and reinstall everything and find compatible drivers.
I do again have it backed up but its a pain.
and my machine is powerful and less than 5 years old, i just didn't like vista.
but thanks again for your 'advice', merry Christmas and all that

PSN is off-line
24 December 2012 05:14
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Everyone's suddenly an expert eh...typical Purestorn forum responses....

Maddawg is off-line
24 December 2012 05:42
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
London

Quote from CSD_Images
Put it another way, businesses wouldn't touch Apple with a barge pole due to their policy of forced obsolescence.

Gosh. How little you know of the Media business environment. I have worked in a few environments where Macs are king. There is a tool called Casper that looks after the management of Macs, and yes, Macs can authenticate against Active Directory. Have a look at http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite/. Am I a fan of the Macs? No. I prefer to use a PC where I can, but I do have a Mac Laptop which is more reliable than any of my previous Windows Laptops have ever been.

Street Model is off-line
24 December 2012 06:51
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Quote from psn
Everyone's suddenly an expert eh...typical Purestorn forum responses....

Well, I don't know about the others, but I am a certified Microsoft engineer with 28 MCP exams and more computer certifications than I can remember.
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

43 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray fashion29 Jessicaliu1993 Lusciousabi29 RISelene rob452 Roose speed84
android_man antoinewynn boss1968 cliffc copperbronze cygnet david1500 djb1 Don_Dark donaldmac eosfan flawless_photo glamorphotos gshocker30 Impulse_Images JPV just_lez Kjoservices MauricesImagery MIB michaelangelo mlp modelboutique natkins noggy1930 philsmg Photojames43 redbaron Richard99 rscott360 sirspread stevegosh steveh32 westend_portfolios
Charlottealom