Reminder Secure

Stroke experiences

10 December 2012 11:49
River
Model

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience from either having had, or knowing someone who has had a stroke?
I'm due to start my first student nurse placement in January and have been allocated to a stroke ward. I haven't had any experience with stroke patients before and would be very grateful if anyone could come forward and let me know about their experiences.
What things did the nurses/other staff do which really made a difference? Or if you were a patient/have known a patient, what things would have made your/their experiences of being in the hospital better?
Or if anyone is or was a doctor/nurse/other health care professional, I would love to hear any advice you could offer to me! I've already met most of the team I will be working with and have had a tour round the unit, everyone is really nice, but secretly Im still nervous!
Thanks,

River
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Suzy Monty is off-line
10 December 2012 11:52
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Very important work River.

My mother AND my mother-in-law both died of strokes. (My mother died a few days before Christmas one year...she was warned not to smoke, after major surgery...but couldn't give up the habit, thus her arteries were not in the best condition...)

Admire your work vocation.
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

10 December 2012 12:39
pammie
Model

Why don't you ask to do a shadow shift or contact the people in charge of volunteers in that hospital .. The variance of the effects of a stroke are extensive anything from showing minimal signs like a droop in the face to total loss of use of one side of the body, you can also suffer with partial to full speech loss ( very frustrating as you can imagine ) to locked in syndrome where the person is fully active in the brain but may only be able to blink an eye ( read the book " in the blink of an eye" it is insightful .)
I work on intensive care and my advise would be go in with an open mind...and be patient especially if their having communication issues, Their is nothing to be worried about as you won't be asked to do anything your unsure off you will be constantly supervised and everything should be explained in full infact students are very hands off these days ( make sure they don't try and treat you as a health care assistant your their to learn )
Try not to worry to much remember they will know this is ur first placement and they have all been their, don't be afraid to ask questions and carry a note pad with you to make notes of medicines ( why we take them contraindications) and to note down procedures etc you will find it handy when you qualify ( I have one and I have it alphabetical order to make it easier for when I start my training )
Hope this is of some help good luck
Pam

10 December 2012 14:53
River
Model

Thank you both and thankyou to the people who have sent me PM's
The idea about carrying a note pad with me is brilliant- I will definately be doing that. I've also made a pledge to myself to never forget or ignore patient's primary needs, as basic things such as helping people get to the toilet is often forgotten and has been subject to scrutiny from the media recently.
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2012 15:33
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Here in NZ I am building a rehab centre attached to a hospital call St john of God. They deal with brain injury and stroke victims. All I can say is the nurses help not only in the everyday nurseing needs but the support and encouragement they give the victims is great. The people here are going to go back to they homes after a lot of treatment, care and love.

10 December 2012 15:45
pammie
Model

Am lucky working on itu basically because its 1-1 nursing the wards are so much harder more staff is what we need more health care assistants back to basics all the way..
Good luck am sure u will be fab and love it
Pam x

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
brunswickci dave@studio99 Images1854 rscott360