Reminder Secure

invoicing a charity

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Carol-Ann Bavage is off-line
09 December 2012 15:11
CBavage
Make-up Artist

Victoria

Trying to gauge if im about to do the right thing... some advice from other MUAs (especially the ones who do this as a full time job or regularly paid) would be very much appreciated.

Im a BTEC qualified MUA - but its not my full time job. I was asked by a former employer (a large charity) to do a make up job for them very last minute. I agreed and was able to agree time off from my day job to do it. I was then asked to repeat this last week and again managed to agree this with my boss. When I arrived I was told they were happy to pay my expenses etc and i should give them an invoice.

I have now been asked to do a third shoot - again short notice (tomorrow) and have again agreed some time off work to do it.

As its a charity i was initially happy to do it for the experience - but covering my expenses would be hugely helpful. I also dont want to charge stupid amounts and do myself out of future work because its very high profile. My day job is temp work - so all the time away is unpaid - theres no annual leave i can use up - but my boss is really flexible and lets me make up the hours.

Am i wrong to consider just charging a one day travel card plus £5 or £10 for make up per session?

Is there a protocol or best practice for invoicing charities etc? I'd really appreciate some advice or opinions. I dont want to sell myself short, its been hard, and interesting work. But dont want to be taking the mickey.

Claire Shipman is off-line
09 December 2012 15:25
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Charity or not theres only so much you can do for free at a high cost to yourself in travel and supplies, generally I feel they are taking advantage of you and will continue to do so whilst they can get people for free.

I would politely give them a call and suggest you were promised expenses and as you have not yet received them you just simply cant afford to do the job in this current climate but if they could arrange expenses and a contribution towards your work you would be happy to continue, say that you undertook the job out of the kindness of your heart and for the experience of working with a wonderful charity but you can no longer justify the travelling etc.

On the otherhand you could just invoice what you feel you are owed and wait for them to either kick up a stink or just pay it.

You suggest they are a large charity, large charities pay there staff large ammounts of money and give little to the charity they support, im positive the person that probably books you is on a wage, so why shouldnt you be?

I really hope this is not to harsh, I do a fair bit of my own charity work but I recently worked with a huge charity and I was paid very well for this so on some occasions its only fair.

Good luck

09 December 2012 15:27
paule
Photographer

Many charities are very worthy, and I like to think most are decent... however, just remember not all are scraping the barrel..

Many execs are on top ££, are they working for expenses being covered... no, so why should you?

3rd time is starting to take the whatever...  I think its about time you were paid, not just having expenses covered... 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/apr/24/top-1000-charities-donations-britain

as for invoice, google invoice templates or create one yourself: name, address, client details, description of work & your bank account details for money to be paid, use the date of the job as a reference and as them to use that when making payment.

09 December 2012 15:27
Tansy_Blue
Model

If they agreed to pay your expenses, they should pay your expenses. I wouldn't hesitate to invoice for expenses (travel and kit?), particularly as it's all been so short notice and you've had to take time off your actual job.

Yes, they're a charity, and that's why they're not paying you a full fee, but it sounds like you don't have loads of spare cash sloshing around; there's no reason you should make a loss on the day.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Mike Naylor is off-line
09 December 2012 16:04
MikeNaylor
Photographer
MikeNaylor
Nottinghamshire

Quote from CBavage
I also dont want to charge stupid amounts and do myself out of future work because its very high profile. .

To put things into perspective, obviously you didnt mention a specific charity but here are a few figures from a very high profile charity:

BARNARDO'S

Number of staff: 7,085

Total spent on wages: £115,873,000.00

Average staff pay: £16,354.69

So don't feel obliged to work for free 7,085 people certainly don't!

A strange but true story is that I know the person who shoots cheque presentations to the YMCA, these cheques usually amount to a few hundred pounds, the YMCA pays him £125 to take photos of the presentation!!!

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 December 2012 16:22
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I have to be honest here, I've been involved in a number of charities and none of them have been "skint".
The paid employees earned above average for their roles and the volunteers were the ones doing all the work.
If you do it time and time again for them then they expect it for free, they will have some sort of budget for you but if they are getting it much lower then ofcourse they will happily take it especially if its a bigger organisation.

One of the charities I first volunteered for were a small charity but they have more money coming in than one would think from various funds - poor they were not. The "passion" felt by the top dogs was nothing more than them making sure their lack of work for good pay would continue but they would have no qualms about making others feel guilty for not working for the cause.

Carol-Ann Bavage is off-line
09 December 2012 16:30
CBavage
Make-up Artist

Victoria

Thanks for the advice everyone, it all rings true, and is a healthy reminder of whats reasonable. Iv'e put together an invoice I am happy with, will submit it in the morning and see what happens I suppose. Worst that happens is they disagree with what i ask for (which is a completely sensible amount i think)

(The charity isn't Barnados or YMCA )

Mike Naylor is off-line
09 December 2012 16:32
MikeNaylor
Photographer
MikeNaylor
Nottinghamshire

Quote from CBavage
 (The charity isn't Barnados or YMCA )

I wasn't sugesting they were and I wouldn't want you to name names lol, your invoice should be paid no problem.

Razoir is off-line
09 December 2012 16:45
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

I bet they pay their electricity bill and their stationery bill etc. Do not be black-mailed into working for free. Why should you?
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Laurence Power is off-line
10 December 2012 03:59
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Finally, a thought, if you charged them the correct rate for the job, you could then donate the money back to them and claim "gift aid" thus they would benefit from the tax in addition.
Laurence J. Power

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
aprilscherz3 azurphotos casell Cliff Dphphotography eclipsephoto FirstLifePhotography FlashHarold redbaron redtail