Reminder Secure

Is this a professional attitude? [ Chaperones, Again]

This thread is currently locked
03 December 2012 14:48
chris075
Photographer

While browsing through the site I ended up on another photographers website and thought I'd see what the competition was offering potential models and I noticed this statement 'I don't work with chaperones* ...'. Is this really a professional attitude, especially considering this photographer is actively looking for first time models!

PS I will not name this photographer, but this person is a member of Purestorm.

* Selective quote which effectively identified a local competitor deleted by moderators.

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 December 2012 14:52
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

yup its fairly common, a bit Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ty if they are specifically aiming to shoot new models.
Didn't you know photographers are much more vulnerable than 18 year old girls.
Each to their own I guess. I never took chaperones with me when I started out but I probably wouldn't have worked with somebody who point blank refused or made a statement about it.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
03 December 2012 14:57
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from chris075
While browsing through the site I ended up on another photographers website and thought I'd see what the competition was offering potential models and I noticed this statement 'I don't work with chaperones ...'. Is this really a professional attitude, especially considering this photographer is actively looking for first time models! PS I will not name this photographer, but this person is a member of Purestorm.

He is only a semi professional, rather than a professional, so I wouldn't worry about it.

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Gerry is off-line
03 December 2012 15:00
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

We havnt had a chaperone thread for a while - anyway, people are at liberty to put what they want - being blunt may put off models who were not intending to take one anyway so their honesty may cost them the odd booking which is their cross to bear.

You can come up with any reason why a chaperone may not be wanted - for example, I have heard of photographers being robbed or ganged up on. Or the jealous boyfriend leering and making fun of his girlfriend is hardly conducive to a relaxed and decent shoot.

Anyway - what is a chaperone?
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Peter Hague is off-line
03 December 2012 15:00
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

I make a statement about it on my website, the model may as well decide after the first email she doesn't want to work with me due to her requirement of a bodyguard, than after days of email tennis, discussing everything required, only to discover the shoot breaks down on the entourage point.

Get it out of the way up front.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Gerry is off-line
03 December 2012 15:03
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I also seem to recall this may have come up once before about 10 months ago - I think this is the link:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=146778
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 December 2012 15:05
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Gerry99111
I also seem to recall this may have come up once before about 10 months ago - I think this is the link:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=146778

surprise

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
03 December 2012 15:06
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

I see that your local competition also says...

Quote which revealed identity removed by Moderators.

Seems quite clear and reasonable to me.

By the way, I'm not sure if you intended to identify him, but when you quote exactly from a website, it's easy to find it just by putting the quote into Google...
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
03 December 2012 15:07
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

This is what I say, by the way...

"Chaperones:

Never had one when shooting nudes in deserted places round the world. Not going to start now.
Have a look at my references here, and the Tags on my MM portfolio ( http://www.modelmayhem.com/367780 ). Talk to a couple of people who've shot with me."
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

03 December 2012 15:11
1919_Images
Photographer

Yes it all sounds professional to me especially when you add in the bit you missed that Hugh has quoted, model knows the terms up front and is free to decide whether to work with photographer or not.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura wrenstar
Antz FirstLifePhotography grisey jonwhowson Lotusdream martinchristie photofrank Spiritofwales stevegosh Tp11