Reminder Secure

Car insurance

Simon Chan is off-line
02 December 2012 06:58
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I'm not that much into cars and my last one lasted 19.5 years, older than some models on here
Insurance for that one, a Micra 1.3 has risen to £330 last May. Anyway I had it replaced with a Civic 1.6 at Group 6 and the quote was £546 with Hastings Direct, same with Direct Line. The cheapest was Admiral at £496.
However a Civic Type R 2.0 with a massive jump in performance at Group 17 is barely £100 more at £600 with Admiral. Never realise the cost to insure was so close I would have expected a lot more for the Type R and a lot less for the ordinary 1.6.
I'm now seriously consider geting the Type R.

Anthonygh is off-line
02 December 2012 07:50
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

here is a new anthonyh is a naughty person to watch out for......

I received a renewal notice a few days back......just over £150 for my SAAB.

The renewal notice warned that it was based on all the info on it being correct....if not, I had to correct it on-line.

On checking I found my recorded NC period and period I held a driving license was too short....so I corrected it.

My renewal quote then jumped by nearly £100!

I obviously phoned the company as I naturally thought there was a glitch, but no. The rates were determined at the time of my 'new application'...and that was my new premium....even though the 'advisor' admitted that if I hadn't corrected their mistake it would have been renewed at exactly the same time for the £150....but it couldn't be changed now.

Needless to say, they immediately lost a customer.

Simon Chan is off-line
02 December 2012 09:13
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Men and women should get equal motor insurance from 21st December so if guys are thinking of renewing that is the time to do it.

Paul Hodson is off-line
02 December 2012 11:14
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Chandos
Men and women should get equal motor insurance from 21st December so if guys are thinking of renewing that is the time to do it.

In practice it is women who should be thinking of renewing before that time!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Les Higgins is off-lineSilver Member
02 December 2012 11:38
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Tyne and Wear

I had a 58 plate Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sport and paid £480 per year fully comp class 2 business use but decided to let the car go to save money. I then got a 03 plate Honda Civiv vtec which i gave 1200 quid for and changed the insurance .....the difference ? £650 more!!!!!!!! Unbelievable. But if i want to cancel (Swinton) and take out a new policy for 700 quid I have to pay a 50 quid cancellation fee....total rip off. I have no points no accidents and 30 years of driving experience, its a joke.

Oliver Cook is off-line
02 December 2012 12:48
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

I was with Admiral until recently. I was doing two jobs (one self-employed and one part-time night shifts). Anyway, I quite being self-employed because I was losing money so I couldn't see the point. So I phone up Admiral to update my details. I explained that I didn't need the car to be insured for business use any longer - just going to one place of work a few days a week (up until this point it had been insured for business use and one place of employment). They promptly increased my premium by £240 per year!!! This is even though I would be using the car less and it would spend more time sitting safely on the driveway.

So, I told them where to stick it, sold the car and now I'm moving away to a sunny island in the Med where I won't need a car. Its really beyond time to tell insurance companies (and all the idiots who make stupid claims because of those annoying adverts - thus ever driving up premiums) to take a hike. Abandon playing their game. Opt out.

Anthonygh is off-line
02 December 2012 13:01
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I am still considering whether to start a formal complaint process....I see no justification (in my case above) of upping my premium merely because I advised them that I was a better 'risk' than they thought!

I still don't know how the error on the renewal notice occurred in the first place....maybe I am being cynical but I am now wondering whether an error isn't deliberately introduced so that when a customer bothers to correct it they have an excuse for hiking the premium.

As it happens, I found a cheaper renewal quote online...with the AA.....but that won't stop me making the complaint....particularly as the price comparison site I used came up with a quote from the same company but was much lower than my 'new' premium.

02 December 2012 13:14
ScottishGeek
Photographer

Insurance is something I've never understood. Many years ago I had an old car I paid £100 for and had it on third party only insurance. When I bought a brand new car one insurance group higher my premium dropped over 15% for fully comp!

More recently I moved from a 30 month old Honda hybrid to a 3.9L Mustang and my insurance dropped from £650 to £530! Simply doesn't make sense.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

Dirk Glassly is off-line
02 December 2012 13:29
dirk_99
Photographer
dirk_99
Norfolk

Quote from Chandos

I'm now seriously consider geting the Type R.

I'd advise a test drive over typical uk potholed roads - I had a Type-R and had to sell it after two months at a loss - and my back needed 6 trips to osteopaths and chiropractors to sort out. Great car on smooth roads....

02 December 2012 13:46
Maloby
Photographer

My mother did not shop around for years and her renewal quote had risen to £1000. On a comparison website there were over 12 choices under £200 and one for £150 all fully comp. Reducing mileage and adding a partner can help reduce a quote.

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 Michelledefeo1
antoinewynn bob cliffc Einstein eosfan guitarman kinofist MIB Nelson1983 redbaron simont skinz stevegosh Steveh32