Reminder Secure

A topic for the girlies only :)

28 November 2012 17:36
allegra
Model

Warning: this may come across as a litle TMI; I don't intend it to be at all  And to all the men who choose to read this thinking it might be something interesting to you, trust me, you might want to stop reading right about now 

I just thought I'd post here after the events of the last couple of months...I'm sure not many of you are as daft as me but ladies, you need to be having your cervical screening (smear) tests! I have never requested one (or even really thought about it to be honest) but thankfully was offered one during a visit to my clinic. The results from that and a follow up test have shown consistent cell abnormalities, which, hopefully, are nothing to be concerned about. However, further tests are being carried out to be sure and I'm quietly confident it will all be fine.

The reason for me posting this here is that the whole experience has really opened my eyes to how important these things are and had I not been offered one, I probably wouldn't have thought to get it done. I think they are available to everyone in the UK over the age of 25 (though in some cases I'm sure they're available at an earlier age). If you haven't had one, go do it!

Allegra no

Chrissie Red is off-line
28 November 2012 17:42
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Great post,

I hope the results come back as nothing to worry about.
I've had 3 in my adult life, thankfully nothing has come back from them.
Like you my sister went for one and they found abnormal cells and sent her up to the hospital that evening.
Its uncomfortable but a necessity - which reminds me I should sort out my next smear!

beauvoir is off-line
29 November 2012 06:17
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

Good on you, girl.

xxx

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
29 November 2012 07:09
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Just had my last smear - all clear, thank goodness.

It's the last one the surgery will actually offer me because of my age. IF I wanted anymore in another 5 years, then would have to make a special request, as will be over 65.

Smears always remind me of being made love to by a Cyberman  I told the nurse this...she laughed like mad...laugh(Thankfully after the procedure!)

But yes, girlies...always go for your cervical screening (smear) tests...AND breast screening tests ....VERY important to...

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Razoir is off-line
29 November 2012 10:00
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

I have to disagree with the OP on this not being of any interest to the male members. Woops, sorry for the pun!
Most men have a wife or girlfriend and all have, or have had, mothers. Many of us have daughters and female friends. All of us blokes have prostate glands.

Cancer, which is what we are talking about here, can strike either sex, at ANY age and should be taken seriously. The screening in this country is based on careful analysis of statistics. So the age range etc. that is offered screening is the appropriate one for the particular target.

Men are incredibly silly about female plumbing and our society would be a lot more balanced if the childish dweebs would grow up and think sensibly about issues like menstruation and breast-feeding.

EVERYONE should react to screening requests by going along and accepting the service offered.

MOST of us will get negatives but whatever your results, the earlier things are detected, the better the treatment will be.

So well said the OP.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Razoir is off-line
29 November 2012 10:01
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

PS. WTF does TMI mean?

Mad Mod is off-line
29 November 2012 10:05
MadMod
Make-up Artist
MadMod
West Sussex

Quote from JeromeRazoir
PS. WTF does TMI mean?

Too Much Information

29 November 2012 10:40
River
Model

Allegra- The exact same thing has happened (and is happening) to me.

My doctor reffered me to the hospital after having unusual bleeding, so I had a smear, which came back with 'abnormal' results. I then went for a Colposcopy (which was a weird experience...the doctor was a middle-aged man and spent the whole procedure talking to me about skiing...I guess it sort of helped lol!). After the treatment the results from the biopsy were better, so he was happy for me to carry on as normal and have regular smears to make sure nothing creeps up again. I've just recieved a letter saying 'it's that time again!'

"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Razoir is off-line
29 November 2012 14:02
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from MadMod
Too Much Information

Thyat was exactly the right amount of information.
Thank you.

Claire Shipman is off-line
09 December 2012 16:33
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from River
Allegra- The exact same thing has happened (and is happening) to me. My doctor reffered me to the hospital after having unusual bleeding, so I had a smear, which came back with 'abnormal' results. I then went for a Colposcopy (which was a weird experience...the doctor was a middle-aged man and spent the whole procedure talking to me about skiing...I guess it sort of helped lol!). After the treatment the results from the biopsy were better, so he was happy for me to carry on as normal and have regular smears to make sure nothing creeps up again. I've just recieved a letter saying 'it's that time again!'

I recently had the same experience, my middle aged Doctor was talking about a film he watched the night before lol, its the strangest thing! The whole experience its terrifying and very unpleasant (I wont lie) to say the least, but in most cases the colposcopy clears the abnormal cells up and you have regular check ups again at 6 months then onto a year if your clear then eventually back to 3 years.

My 6 monthly check up thankfully came back clear after the treatment.

After talking to a few friends I realised this treatment is a lot more common than you think its just no one likes to talk about it.

x

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
clarmike jonnywoo
Charlottealom