Missie is off-line
17 November 2012 20:23
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

Two questions

Firstly, What is the etiquette for cancelling on short notice due to issues with children? My son had to go to hospital last week, And it didn't clash with any shoots, But it got me thinking yesterday, If it had, What would the polite thing to do be? I've seen comments about models cancelling at short notice and how the excuse is always some tragedy ending in a hospital trip, Well, What when it's genuine? Provide some sort of proof to avoid negative feedback? Offer to re book at your own expense? Obviously i try to avoid A&E trips but i wouldn't want to end up being thought of as someone who makes up those sort of stories.

Secondly, Girls with extensions - My son thinks they are brilliant fun to pull at and it is winding me up. How on earth do i avoid this? Is it ok to tie it back? Will this not damage them?

Thanks in advance
"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

17 November 2012 20:39
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Generally you telephone the other party, explain the situation, and re-arrange once things are back to normal. Tis simple really.

Can't help with your other question.

Chrissie Red is off-line
17 November 2012 21:25
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Thankfully I've only ever had to cancel a couple of shoots - one photographer was lovely about it the other was an a$$.
Things happen which are out with our control, we are humans and family and heath comes first.
Yes there are models who just can't be bothered turning up for shoots, I do photography and I've had a few complete no shows from both models and photographers in the past. I'm fairly chilled about it though, I had a last minute shoot booked about a month ago and the last message was "whats the address and what time do you want me over?" - it was a local shoot. I even went out and bought lingerie.. Anyway never heard from him again, and he has ignored my message with questions and my follow up message which said "given that you have not been in touch I presume the shoot is now not happening" so I made sure to confirm it was cancelled just incase he was expecting me.

If you don't feel mentally or physically fit then just be honest with people as soon as you possibly can, some may take it badly but I think most people are nice enough to let it slide especially if your communication up to that point had been going smoothly. I don't really understand what the "proof" part could be, I mean if I had a medical condition Its quite personal and I wouldn't want to hand my private details out to photographers to prove I was telling the truth - I'm an adult and have plenty of positive references on this site and elsewhere to show I'm not in the habit of being ill or flaking on people.

x

Chrissie Red is off-line
17 November 2012 21:27
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Hair extensions.. no idea, my nieces used to play with a necklace which was around my neck?

Missie is off-line
17 November 2012 21:42
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

Chrissie - I don't know, I overthink a bit and it just popped into my head because i'd read comments about people making excuses up about trips to hospital etc, So i wondered if their was some sort of etiquette i didn't know about in genuine cases lol! I hate people to think i'm making excuses up or anything.

My kids are pretty good in general. My little girl is profoundly deaf and uses cochlear implants, But her Dad deals with most of the medical side of that (I am crap with hospitals, I'm the classic hysterical mother when i get inside one, So it's better he deals with it), So i only get the last minute A&E dashes. Fortunately it rarely happens - 3 times between two children in 3 and a half years, only one of them my own stupid fault, so not too bad!

"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

Kali  Chaos is off-line
17 November 2012 22:28
KayzModeling
Model
KayzModeling
Devon
Plymouth

Photographers - I would contact them as soon as possible and explain your situation. Offer to reschedule, if it was paid possibly lower the price a little (just as a nice gesture, of course not everyone will agree with this, and I don't expect them to).

Hair extensions - They should be ok to tie back, not too often though. Try to only do it when really necessary. Also don't tie them back too tightly, just enough to keep them out of reach. To be honest, them being yanked and pulled around is probably going to do a lot more damage then just tying them back.

Kayz
I've got my war face on, now to enter the forums.

18 November 2012 04:28
TMG
Photographer

I would tend to believe a model who said her child was ill, and it would be one occasion where I accepted that cancelling, even at very short notice or maybe even no notice, was acceptable. I can't believe a mother would lie about her child being sick to get out of a shoot.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
18 November 2012 06:24
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Luckily you can solve both problems with the same solution...................SELL YOUR CHILDREN.  cheeky

Unfortunately Christmas time is an expensive time when you have children, so it's a buyers market at the moment.  

Children with housekeeping skills tend to fetch a little more than those without. (microwave cooking and dishwashing skills are generally regarded as basic skills)

Children with chimney sweeping skills still gain best prices in countryside and rural areas. 

Non smoking and drinking children are rare, and fetch good prices. cheeky

Best to check online auction sites for current pricing. 

Ensure that buyers won't return the children when they find faults, by offering a sold as seen guarantee.  smiley

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Spike is off-line
18 November 2012 12:31
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Put something in your notes about having children & in the unlikely event one is ill/let down by child minder you may need to cancel postpone shoots, include the fact that it has only happens on average once a year
Then the photographer can make an informed decision when they initially book you.

In the unlikely event you do have to postpone the shoot, phone the photographer - if you can't talk to them leave voicmail & answer your phone if the photographer phones you back.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

alexkidd is off-line
18 November 2012 12:41
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

i think honesty is the best policy all round and if you can make the details of the reason as open as possible that's better as well imho

note any issues that may arise before hand and if there's an issue as above be open, a normal job wouldn't accept a vague reason usually so i don't really see why some hiring should have to either
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk fashion29 onyx_gem
ad360photo fannmore FlyingShot GerryS2 GH46 Ladiesman MIB moorlane oz_4 pafriend pc9 Peter_d_photography peterh philippahh rembrandt siclews