HowardJ is off-line
17 November 2012 15:17
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I appear to have acquired the role of TV advisor to old people, so:

- What's the best technology for HD TVs (LED, LCD, etc. )?
- What's the best HD TV you can get for around £300?

Thanks

andyh is off-line
17 November 2012 15:53
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

I'm in the market for a bedroom telly at the moment. I've found the best of the walk in shops to be the Richer Sounds sales, if you have one near you have a look, they've got some good deals on at the moment
www.andyh.info/blog.php

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 November 2012 17:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from HowardJ

Thanks

What size ? Do you need any other connectivity (than a freeview tuner)
Note that most HD tvs don't have freeview HD tuners included.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

17 November 2012 18:35
K_Studios
Studio

"Note that most HD tvs don't have freeview HD tuners included"

I think since the switch-over you would find it very difficult to find a TV that does not have a freeview tuner built in - though there are fewer with HD Freeview on board.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
17 November 2012 18:45
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from andy_h
I'm in the market for a bedroom telly at the moment. I've found the best of the walk in shops to be the Richer Sounds sales, if you have one near you have a look, they've got some good deals on at the moment

I'll second Richer Sounds.  Don't worry about some of the unfamiliar brand names, Richer Sounds are choosy about the products they stock and sell.

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Peter Hague is off-line
17 November 2012 18:48
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Thirded for Richer Sounds. If the people looking for a TV aren't looking for specific features, then there seems to be a decent 32in full HD set on their site for £269.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 November 2012 19:05
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from K_Studios
"Note that most HD tvs don't have freeview HD tuners included"

I think since the switch-over you would find it very difficult to find a TV that does not have a freeview tuner built in - though there are fewer with HD Freeview on board.

The HD is my point- it is easy to assume that a tv that says full-hd would have a hd tuner but this is often not the case.
If you are just watching freeview and you don't have an hd tuner, there isn't much point in having a full hd tv.
For old people (in particular) the quality of the user interface and epg is especially important.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Byron is off-lineSilver Member
17 November 2012 20:14
Byron
Photographer

Merseyside

Yeah, another for Richer sounds, good place. Mine is an LCD LG 42", 1920 x 1080 full HD, with HDMI inputs, a USB slot and inputs from computer broadband, etc. Great picture, loads of adjustments; cinema to bright and garish! ;-) Anything bigger and I'd be in the garden trying to fit it all in. ;-) Suits me fine.

Alan.
Never try to impress a woman, because if you do she'll expect you to keep up the standard for the rest of your life. (W.C.Fields)

Graham is onlineSilver Member
17 November 2012 21:27
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphotography
West Sussex
Chichester

Bought my LG 32" HDTV over 2 years ago because it had built in HD Freeview and USB and connection to the internet built in all for under £300, it has been brilliant and has the best picture I have seen for under £700 and I have worked with Pro tv monitors for over half my life.

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
18 November 2012 00:45
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Quote from HowardJ

Thanks

For that price bracket it will be either LCD or Plasma.
LED is not as commonly available yet. Some will say that they are LED when in fact they are still LCD.
True LED (known as OLED) is VERY expansive at the moment and in the 1,000's bracket rather than the 100's.

The very thin TV's (like the one i have) are side lit LCD's and a lot suffer with clouding of the screens (uneven blacks), so it is rather difficult to find one that doesnt.
The slightly thicker TV's are backlit and dont suffer as much from this.

As for the LCD v Plasma debate, the jury is still out, but i personally think that LCD is slightly ahead.

Go to AVForums for better information on TV's http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

I too like Richer Sounds.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 infinitelizzy poppylapilule tanyacox
ad360photo andy_howard andygstudios frankpht GlasgowPhotographer grahamsphotography HarishPadalia keltica Kjoservices lenspoynter manchestertog1 ownimage paletesdeluz philippahh redbaron rscott360 Snooper911 somers stevegosh Steveharratt swalsh58