Edgy - I shoot edgy nudes, but what do models understand by the term 'Edgy'

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Paul Ottey is off-lineSilver Member
17 November 2012 10:33
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
Staffordshire

Careful you don't go to far and hit the bizzaro zone......
Video Shizzle https://vimeo.com/user2367653/videos

17 November 2012 14:31
AbiHillModel
Model

more ugly-pretty than pretty-pretty, if you get what I mean. Depends on what's being shot.

For fashion, i'd say its all about angles, shapes etc. A lot more harsh lines, bold styling, androgyny, slick, and so on. No flouncy ruffly pretty girly stuff - if an edgy editorial uses a pretty dress they usually clash it with ultra boyish styling, or a heavy sort of look (eg flirty short prom dress with leather jacket and biker boots)

For beauty (or anything not about selling clothes), it's more about finding a girl with a unique face. Killer bone structure, maybe not necessarily what is considered classically pretty.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

Kali  Chaos is off-line
17 November 2012 15:50
KayzModeling
Model
KayzModeling
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I know if I say it I mean a little gritty/raw and not the usual pretty nudes.

+1
I would consider 'edgy' images, especially nudes, to be something dark. Something that really pushes boundries.
For example, something like Chrissie's 'playing dead on a grave' to me that is relatively edgy.
Basically for me 'edgy' depicts something society doesn't agree with, something that really makes you wonder whether it's ok to shoot it or not.

I've got my war face on, now to enter the forums.

Darling is off-lineSilver Member
17 November 2012 17:52
Darling
Model
Darling
Greater Manchester
Bolton

Quote from Dazzle_Studios
I believe that when I post a casting call for 'Edgy Nude' models, both the models and I know exactly what we mean and work well together (check my portfolio if it helps). But what do YOU, as MODELS think the term 'Edgy' means? What does it mean to you? I'd really like to know for my new book. Thanks for helping! John

Have a look on my port. I have a few images which ive categorized as being Edgey!

raw and the cooked is off-line
27 November 2012 13:04
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

This word has no meaning. It should be banned!

28 November 2012 02:18
barone
Photographer

Edgy...is industry jargon...you should all know what it means within the context of your conversation/image...but as with all ideas, explanation will be required....
Next Model Day...23rd March 2014...http://purpleport.com/portfolio/angie...Interested?...Ask me for details.

28 November 2012 03:21
snapychapy
Photographer

what the hell is spiral?

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
03 December 2012 19:34
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

I think it just means something that is really unfamiliar with what we define as a normal image and has the viewer looking for it for a bit longer because of its eccentricity or weird factor.

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ad360photo boss1968 Cg123 cgr dave@studio99 doughnut GGDP_Photography Keithhendy LGI michael_cameraman Njsphotography roger forrester Rupert Simon_M