Reminder Secure

Is it best to be with an agency

06 November 2012 14:03
bethjayne
Model

I was wondering as im sure there is alot of freelance models out there.. Is it best to be with an agency. I am asking because i generally just want to hear peoples opinions.. Iv never tried for an agency and thinking of giving it ago as most photographers only work with agency represented models.

Darren Brade is off-line
06 November 2012 14:18
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
London
London

In general, yes.

From a photographer's perspective dealing with an agency represented model means they have been vetted and are more likely to be reliable. If the model turns out to be unreliable, the agency provides another.

Obviously there are reliable freelancers, this is just a generalisation.
www.darrenbrade.com

06 November 2012 14:25
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Unless they're listed here then it's unlikely the agency will be of much benefit to you:

http://whoistesting.com/blog_article.php?blogID=15

Gerry is off-line
06 November 2012 14:30
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Any photographer on here is able to book models themselves - so to remain competative, you need to be able to market youirself independant from the agency unless you want to take a cut in your income to keep your rate plus fees similar to what people are prepared to pay on here.

If you are getting so many work offers coming in that you need someone to filter them, then an agency may be of more use.

If most of your work is / can come via commercial organisations, you are then in a minority and an agency may well help.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 November 2012 15:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Most agency models are still freelance.
The agency merely offers/arranges work and takes a commission.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

raw and the cooked is off-line
09 November 2012 03:42
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

No, not really, for reasons stated above!

Phoenix is off-line
09 November 2012 06:21
ModelxCheryl
Model

Norfolk
Norwich

I have been freelance and signed and can honestly say the reason I went back to freelance is I get more work that way!! Agencies only get you work when your look suits the casting/job more than the other girls on their registers, so for this reason work is few and far between. If you work hard enough you can get tons more work freelance, AND you have to pay no one commission x

09 November 2012 14:22
AbiHillModel
Model

I was more than content with freelancing til I signed with my agency in Newcastle (Tyne Tees), then I realised how utterly stingy photographers can be. Since leaving my agency in London (i am hoping to sign with another one soon), i've dropped my rates again, but realistically if you have fashion stats, plus or straight size, an agency is probably the best way to earn if you find the right one for you.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

Freya is off-line
09 November 2012 15:08
ZombieCandy
Model
ZombieCandy
Gloucestershire

I find it much better for me to be freelance. I was with an agency for a bit but they never found me any decent work.

11 November 2012 16:47
catherine_s
Model

Both. I have agents for both Acting and Modelling but I source 90percent of my own work. It all depends what you want to do, agencies have access to castings you would never have access to on your own. If you get a lot of your paid work working with photographers on sites like this it is probably irrelevant. But if you want to get more work in publications, fittings and events etc its worth having an agent.

Good luck x

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
NicolaWilks90
csk_photography FirstLifePhotography garydfreeman George99 photofrank Pictureimage Willjamieson