05 November 2012 04:01
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

Quote from pompeytog
After watching the videos words absolutely fail me. In future I will do my very best to make sure I buy nothing of Chinese origin, difficult I know but I will do my best. Sometimes so called humanity makes me want to puke.

Nice to see a positive approach after reading some of the apathy ridden hypocrisy put forward by others.
Who once said that for evil to succeed it only needs the good to do nothing?
I am currently running my photosafari's in East Africa & it amazes me that people travel out here, spending large amounts of money to get close enough to take great photos (hopefully therefore being animal lovers?) & are then occasionally heard exclaiming how wonderful a lion/water buck/elephant head would look as a trophy back in their ranch-house.
Personally I would cheerfully feed that sort of person to the wildlife but no doubt some liberal minded muppets will spring to their defence spouting civil liberties, personal freedom etc. Thankfully none of my clients have ever said that within earshot, just a few Mitt Romney lookalikes!

05 November 2012 04:29
TMG
Photographer

Quote from pompeytog
After watching the videos words absolutely fail me. In future I will do my very best to make sure I buy nothing of Chinese origin, difficult I know but I will do my best. Sometimes so called humanity makes me want to puke.

Very difficult. I've been trying to avoid it for a while now. Try buying a fridge that isn't made in China. I ended up buying a second hand AEG made in Germany for about what a new cheap Chinese made model would cost. The plus side is the door closes "like a Golf" and it will outlast me, let alone the Chinese equivalent. 
We pretend to all sorts of ethical considerations as a species, but when it comes to making a fast buck, Devil take the hindmost.

polerface is off-line
05 November 2012 06:21
bethbordeaux12
Model

County Durham
Spennymoor

Most fake fur is dog or cat hair as its cheaper cost then synthetic sadly

Peter is off-line
05 November 2012 07:29
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Why boycott all of china for what 1 group are doing? might as well sell all your electricals since if the chips werent made in China some of the raw materials in them will almost certainly be from there.
People talk of terrible wages and poor working conditions as a reason not to buy from some 3rd world countries, but think on this... if we all stopped buying from these companies, their employees would be laid off and starve.... but thats ok because they arent being paid a crappy wage and working crazy hours anymore eh? Sh*ts never as simple as people like to make it. Also the consumer is largely to blame as we like to buy at as low a cost as possible (in some cases have no choice as we cant afford anything but the bargain range)... for it to be sold cheap, moneys got to be saved somewhere in the production.

Chrissie Red is off-line
05 November 2012 09:25
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from bethbordeaux12

No most fake fur is synthetic which is why they call it fake.

Mickey is off-line
05 November 2012 09:46
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

Quote from bethbordeaux12

Did you read this before posting?

If so I suggest you look up the definition of fake!

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
05 November 2012 09:56
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Ok, I have no problems with killing animals for food if it's done humanely, if fur or skin is a bi-product of this then well and good, why waste it.

I do have a huge problem with killing animals exclusively for their fur though, it's simply pointless and unnecessary in the modern age of synthetic materials.

I don't agree with the view that whether *you* or *I* boycott such products or not will make no difference.

It may not stop their production, but how can someone as an individual buy or wear a product if they are fundamentally opposed to how it is produced. I eat meat, but there are certain animal products I won't buy because I am opposed to the way it's produced, and whilst I may not actively try and stop what I disagree with, I care enough not to buy it, no matter how cheap.

I think the truth is that if an individual purchases the items described in the knowledge of how they are produced, then they simply don't care.

Surely not to care about such unspeakable cruelty or to condone it by supporting it financially by purchasing the product, is as bad as the original act itself?
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
05 November 2012 13:41
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from peterbuchanphoto
Why boycott all of china for what 1 group are doing? might as well sell all your electricals since if the chips werent made in China some of the raw materials in them will almost certainly be from there. People talk of terrible wages and poor working conditions as a reason not to buy from some 3rd world countries, but think on this... if we all stopped buying from these companies, their employees would be laid off and starve.... but thats ok because they arent being paid a crappy wage and working crazy hours anymore eh? Sh*ts never as simple as people like to make it. Also the consumer is largely to blame as we like to buy at as low a cost as possible (in some cases have no choice as we cant afford anything but the bargain range)... for it to be sold cheap, moneys got to be saved somewhere in the production.

Ah right, so do nothing then? 
As I said in my post, it will be difficult but I will do my best not to buy anything of Chinese origin. It would be really easy to just say, "poor fluffy animals" and carry on regardless.
That video sickened me to my very core and if the consumer decided not to buy Chinese goods because of the way they treat animals then they may eventually change their laws somewhat. I don't doubt for a minute that my stance will have any effect on the Chinese economy, but I have made my decision and I will do my utmost to stick to it.
You of course have a choice to do otherwise.
How hard can it be?

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment
aayaan adamjonesphotography antoinewynn bdj2454 bengie diphoto Edenbailey eosfan imageatthemill jccj1 jeffkeefe JohnDentonPhoto Ladiesman mike0048 mlp orca_photography Phiesta1 psn RupertRudd Steveh32 Thunder_Photos Twilightphotography xcellent