http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/road-tax-plan-motorways-roads-031320872.html 

Razoir is off-line
29 October 2012 16:28
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

My guess is that his will go the way of so many other bloody stupid ideas this government has come up with and then ditched. It sounds unworkable, in practice.

There is certainly a serious issue with the current unfairness. If you live in a big city you may well not need a car at all. If you live in the country, like me, it is impossible to do my job if I do not have a car. Public transport just does not exist that covers my hours of attendance.

PERHAPS, the way forward is to introduce tolls, like the French system. That would have the added advantage that foreign vehicles, who currently get away with paying nothing to use our roads, would have to pay their share. Like I do when I go to France.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

andyh is off-line
29 October 2012 16:52
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

Fine with that. Remove the duty on fuel and I'm in.
www.andyh.info/blog.php

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
29 October 2012 19:06
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Another pot brained idea that will not get off the ground. Remember a few years back they where going to fit a little black box to your car so that you could be tracked at all times and pay a higher tax at peak times, what ever happened to that. All pie in the sky.
Put road tax on the fuel say a penny a ltr then those who do very high mileage pay more simple.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 October 2012 03:41
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

At the very least they need to increase minimum road tax, it sickens me that just because someone has a so-called low emissions car they can use the roads for free (or next to nothing).

There's also the disparity with big cars as well. For a number of years now my cars (2.0-2.7L engines) have been at the top-end of the tax brackets which is (IMO) somewhat unfair when there's hundreds of far bigger/heavier gas-guzzling executive cars/4x4s clogging up the roads on my commute (I drive through Oxford so there's no end of wealth).

And overall driving is basically far too cheap IMO. It should always be more expensive than public transport due to the priviledge of having the freedom to drive, not the other way around. It was suggested that we follow something like Portugal's example and you pay your road tax upfront with the car (they charge ~100%, so for a €10,000 car you end up paying €20,000), although obviously the drawback is that our car production industries would probably collapse as people would stop buying new cars.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
30 October 2012 04:38
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from couchpotato
Another pot brained idea that will not get off the ground. Remember a few years back they where going to fit a little black box to your car so that you could be tracked at all times and pay a higher tax at peak times, what ever happened to that. .....

Telematics has been around for years it's currently in vogue for young drivers because the data can help drive down insurance premiums. GM cars have the technology fitted as standard (including Vauxhall), Peuegot have EDR and V W, Seat and Skoda offer equivalent technology as an option, Volvo has a system fitted to its lorries which can be adapted to cars. The technology exists but the political will to have 'big brother' watching your every driving move doesn't.  
It was broken when I got here

30 October 2012 04:58
TMG
Photographer

Difficult to avoid both motorways and A roads, surely - no matter where you live and what your commute. What would happen to those who avoid those roads throughout the year and then need to head off down the M5 or M4 to go on holiday? Or who need to collect someone from an airport?
I suspect the authors of the plan anticipate either few people taking up the low rate, or extra income from fines (or "upgrades") when they have an unavoidable need to use the main routes.

There does seem to be a real fetish for monitoring, measuring and controlling through punishment among our policy makers. I'm not au fait with this world, but do they have a corner of Fetlife to themselves?

Orson Carter is off-line
30 October 2012 05:05
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
Somerset
near Frome

Quote from RedChecker
...There's also the disparity with big cars as well. For a number of years now my cars (2.0-2.7L engines) have been at the top-end of the tax brackets which is (IMO) somewhat unfair when there's hundreds of far bigger/heavier gas-guzzling executive cars/4x4s clogging up the roads on my commute...

...It should always be more expensive than public transport due to the priviledge of having the freedom to drive...

The first of those points...  Agreed, but for a different reason. If someone can afford a big car and can afford to run it, the extra couple of hundred quid (or whatever it is) a year is going to make sod all difference to them. It's not going to deter them from running a large car.  (Must point out... That it not a swipe at owners of big cars. I've got an MPV.)

The second of those points... Fine if you live in an urban area, but crap if you live out in the sticks. In this village we do have a bus service, but it's just two each way per day. If anyone wanted to get to work in the nearest big city (Bath) by bus, you'd have to use two buses, your journey would take about two hours (for 15 miles), and you wouldn't be able to get there until about 9.30am!  Living in small country villages, driving is not a privilege. It's a necessity. 
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 October 2012 05:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from orsoncarter
The second of those points... Fine if you live in an urban area, but crap if you live out in the sticks. In this village we do have a bus service, but it's just two each way per day. If anyone wanted to get to work in the nearest big city (Bath) by bus, you'd have to use two buses, your journey would take about two hours (for 15 miles), and you wouldn't be able to get there until about 9.30am!  Living in small country villages, driving is not a privilege. It's a necessity. 

The thing is... I live in an urban area of sorts, or at least right next to a commuter station and it costs ~£6 per return ticket to pop into the local town (~2.5 miles) - my car really shouldn't cost less than that and if cars did get rediculously more expensive, good public transport would (hopefully) thrive again.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

DJ200 is off-line
30 October 2012 05:19
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Hertfordshire

Are you saying that you find it perfectly acceptable to pay £6 to travel just 5 miles?

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Livespirit pinklilly Winterlilly
AaronKent bengie guitarman Ladiesman MauricesImagery mlp panda49 Reynard Rhadamanthus