Windows 8 or windows 7 which way do I go

Ian Coyle is off-lineGold Member
24 October 2012 15:25
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Lothian
Livingston

Ok so Windows 8 launches on Friday and I just happen to need a new laptop (budget around £500) So do I wait till Friday and get the all new Windows OS or do I grab  a "Sale" bargain with a higher specified machine running windows 7.

I have windows 7 on my current Acer but the machine itself keeps crashing so Im intending to simply replace the machine.
Im not racist. I hate everyone!

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 15:27
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Ian Coyle is off-lineGold Member
24 October 2012 15:31
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Lothian
Livingston

Quote from gerryquiff
It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8

To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Im not racist. I hate everyone!

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 15:45
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from Mark_Time
To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Anytime, will you be wanting my horse and cart also?
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

andyh is off-line
24 October 2012 15:49
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

I cant really see a good use of Windows 8 on the desktop. I can understand it on tablets and phones, but it doesnt seem much cop on a standard keyboard and mouse set up.
www.andyh.info/blog.php

KHV is online
24 October 2012 15:59
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

You will still be able to purchase laptops with 7 for several months yet. There's a lot of stock about, and they will want to shift them, perhaps with a slight discount. You might find that Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to 8 when you buy a 7 laptop, just check out the various on-line stores.

I just had a look at Ebuyer, and they are doing a deal where you buy an Acer laptop 7 and for an extra £14 you get the upgrade to 8.

Carl Davis is off-line
24 October 2012 15:59
carldavis
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
carldavis
Shropshire
Telford

dont know too much about it but I believe you can switch off all that tablet/touch interface and get a more windows 7 experience with it. I have read that it is a faster operating system, more stable and will have more apps etc available for it.
www.carldavisphoto.co.uk www.photographybycarldavis.com www.modelmayhem.com/carldavis

24 October 2012 16:30
Astonscarff
Photographer

You couldn't turn off that blasted touch interface on the enterprise preview I've been using on and off since that was available.

I would go for Windows 7 - no point being an early adopter on any Windows release IMO
Aston, as in Martin and Villa

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 16:55
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Whats the difference?

Rupie is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 17:49
Rupie
Photographer

Worcestershire

Dont buy a new machine just because it crashes !!!!

It probably just needs sorting out, you must know someone who can do that for you.

8 is very different to 7, in many ways so if you want a machine that just works (and you insist on buying a new one !!!!!!!) go for 7.

Can I have your old machine ?

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
danixhale Natpenelope Winterlilly
AndiCallen ansonphotography Blancho casell chriscooze davejarvis david1500 dhuntuk djb1 dorrian Fluffypup FlyingShot gshocker30 KDP keltica MIB mikebee Phiesta1 philcarpenter61 Photojames43 PhotoSpyroS Pictureimage Platidonio rembrandt Rscott360 steveh32 ton viewphotographic