Windows 8 or windows 7 which way do I go

Ian Coyle is off-lineGold Member
24 October 2012 14:25
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Lothian
Livingston

Ok so Windows 8 launches on Friday and I just happen to need a new laptop (budget around £500) So do I wait till Friday and get the all new Windows OS or do I grab  a "Sale" bargain with a higher specified machine running windows 7.

I have windows 7 on my current Acer but the machine itself keeps crashing so Im intending to simply replace the machine.
Im not racist. I hate everyone!

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 14:27
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Ian Coyle is off-lineGold Member
24 October 2012 14:31
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Lothian
Livingston

Quote from gerryquiff
It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8

To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Im not racist. I hate everyone!

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 14:45
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from Mark_Time
To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Anytime, will you be wanting my horse and cart also?
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

andyh is off-line
24 October 2012 14:49
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

I cant really see a good use of Windows 8 on the desktop. I can understand it on tablets and phones, but it doesnt seem much cop on a standard keyboard and mouse set up.
www.andyh.info/blog.php

KHV is off-line
24 October 2012 14:59
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

You will still be able to purchase laptops with 7 for several months yet. There's a lot of stock about, and they will want to shift them, perhaps with a slight discount. You might find that Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to 8 when you buy a 7 laptop, just check out the various on-line stores.

I just had a look at Ebuyer, and they are doing a deal where you buy an Acer laptop 7 and for an extra £14 you get the upgrade to 8.

Carl Davis is off-line
24 October 2012 14:59
carldavis
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
carldavis
Shropshire
Telford

dont know too much about it but I believe you can switch off all that tablet/touch interface and get a more windows 7 experience with it. I have read that it is a faster operating system, more stable and will have more apps etc available for it.
www.carldavisphoto.co.uk www.photographybycarldavis.com www.modelmayhem.com/carldavis

24 October 2012 15:30
Astonscarff
Photographer

You couldn't turn off that blasted touch interface on the enterprise preview I've been using on and off since that was available.

I would go for Windows 7 - no point being an early adopter on any Windows release IMO
Aston, as in Martin and Villa

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 15:55
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Whats the difference?

Rupie is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2012 16:49
Rupie
Photographer

Worcestershire

Dont buy a new machine just because it crashes !!!!

It probably just needs sorting out, you must know someone who can do that for you.

8 is very different to 7, in many ways so if you want a machine that just works (and you insist on buying a new one !!!!!!!) go for 7.

Can I have your old machine ?

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Carliegomez24
anthonyh bobmac Canonman5D cheesy chippers10 cliffc diphoto eosfan headshots hodgen kai_kul kimsandman2 Les_Pearce mlp paulcase Picturemike PJAPhotography severndigital stevegosh Thunder_Photos