Reminder Secure

The majority of models simply dont deserve paid work....

This thread is being watched by 5 people
Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
20 October 2012 01:59
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

This is not a rant, just a general observation. I would say about 75% of models I encounter on the internet simply dont deserve work and I would rather give the money to charity.

Times are hard, if you want work you need to make an effort and make yourself stand out from the competition.

I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics.
The level of Professionalism is an absolute joke, combine that with the lack of work available and its easy to see why most models cannot get bookings.

1. Casting images, you need to have them available and up to date, showing your current look. 6 month old images are worse than useless.
2. You need to communicate properly and answer questions. If I dont get the info and pictures I need within a couple of mails, I'm not going to bother. Who has time for email tennis or trying to painfully extract pictures and information?

Why are some models always busy whatever the economy? Because they have the right attitude.

I dont know how others feel, but the right Professional attitude is the most important quality a model can have.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

20 October 2012 02:32
ChrisYPhotography
Photographer

Nail/head...

Am sure a few models would also add to this and say the same about some photographers but goes without saying that the serious people prevail in all cases.

20 October 2012 03:06
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Well said, and so true.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Henry is off-lineSilver Member
20 October 2012 03:11
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
Lancashire
Blackpool

As usual, you are completely correct Iain.

I really do struggle to find suitable models for my shoots (which explains why I work repeatedly with the same small group of models).

I realise that exercise is an anathema to many young women in this country but a toned figure is something I insist upon where models are concerned. And eyebrows. Liz Hurley, Kate Moss, Keira Knightley, Emma Watson, and hundreds of agency signed fashion models all manage to have eyebrows so why can't internet models have them too?

Oh, and good skin.
"Ah, but you can photoshop away blemishes and zits, etc."
"Umm.... no. I mainly shoot MF film. My end product is prints from said film images. No photoshopping here folks!"
I may as well do it. I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

20 October 2012 03:18
mgphotomedia
Photographer

The professional attitude of all the models I've worked with never ceases to amaze me.

KHV is off-line
20 October 2012 03:18
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I too am totally frustrated by the lack of comittment of those that say they are available for work then pussy foot around.  There are those that I have worked with and who are gems but on average for every six enquiries I send out I will be lucky to get one arranged shoot.

I have a client I also provide content for, and they are amazed at the UK's lack of professionalism and understand why so many photographers took the opportunity to move to Europe where people were actually prepared to work for the fee, were much better prepared for the work.

I can only put it down to idiots with cheap camera's prepared to indulge those that are totally inadequate for modelling (under 5ft 5in and only wants to do fashion), or the chancers that seem to prey on new models with tall tales, and shoddy technique both photographic and image editing.

Still I soldier on..........

Chris Dee is off-line
20 October 2012 03:25
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from IainT
I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics. 

You need to communicate properly and answer questions. 

+1

20 October 2012 03:27
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from Keltica
I have a client I also provide content for, and they are amazed at the UK's lack of professionalism and understand why so many photographers took the opportunity to move to Europe where people were actually prepared to work for the fee, were much better prepared for the work.

I don't necessarilly agree with this. East Europeans are generally prettier, in better shape and more suitable, but I often find them every bit as unprofessional as UK girls and more difficult to deal with. I would rather work with UK models any day, to be fair useless UK models are easily weeded out at the correspondence stage, usually once booked they tend to be fine, thats not necessarilly my experience with EE,s

20 October 2012 03:29
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from mgphotomedia
The professional attitude of all the models I've worked with never ceases to amaze me.

I'm usually fairly pleased with the attitude of models I actually work with, its the selection process which I find tiresome. In theory, it should be a simple process, in practice its made difficult by the models themselves.

20 October 2012 03:30
bartman11
Photographer

Quote from IainT
This is not a rant, just a general observation. I would say about 75% of models I encounter on the internet simply dont deserve work and I would rather give the money to charity. Times are hard, if you want work you need to make an effort and make yourself stand out from the competition. I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics. The level of Professionalism is an absolute joke, combine that with the lack of work available and its easy to see why most models cannot get bookings. 1. Casting images, you need to have them available and up to date, showing your current look. 6 month old images are worse than useless. 2. You need to communicate properly and answer questions. If I dont get the info and pictures I need within a couple of mails, I'm not going to bother. Who has time for email tennis or trying to painfully extract pictures and information? Why are some models always busy whatever the economy? Because they have the right attitude. I dont know how others feel, but the right Professional attitude is the most important quality a model can have.

+1

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE chosin Hann kacie lynnesel pinklilly RoxyMendez vellocet Vickey
ad360photo belmez2000 bradder david1500 DJ200 donaldmac gazzer59 geoffmarchant GGDP_Photography HarishPadalia Ladiesman markeos50d nickdandalos orca_photography rcbb stevegosh templeimaging TheChrisS Thunder_Photos TimatAwe TinDolls
Jonesy2107