Moi is off-line
19 October 2012 04:02
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from Chandos
........................................ We use to frequently have drunks messing about in our chippy and refuses to leave protesting their rights but we got them to leave without using a taser. If the law was need the police got them to go away again without taser. ....................

Lets hope they didnt leave with a battered sausage 
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

John VonGeezer is off-line
19 October 2012 04:42
GaryWallace
Photographer

Dorset
Bournemouth

Quote from AbiHillModel
This is absurd. Honestly makes me wonder who is keeping our streets safe! That said, I still support heavier arms for police officers, provided they have an exemplary record and pass some sort of proficiency test and psychological assessment before being let loose with a gun. Kids arming themselves more and more these days, it'll only be a matter of time before there's an incident (if the shooting of the two PCs in Manchester isn't a good enough example) where officers COULD have saved themselves had they been armed with a gun. In all seriousness, the safest i've ever felt was in New York, because I knew that for every citizen with a gun, there'd be a copper much better at shooting one.

Actually, whatever you have read in the Daily Mail the truth is gun crime is falling and has done so fairly consistently for the last 10 years. Its also worth noting that around half of all gun crime involves air weapons and some kind of criminal damage - kids shooting up windows etc rather than any kind of robbery or intimidation.

Its odd that as gun crime falls that there are those who want to see our Police become more heavily armed. Throughout the Northern Ireland Troubles when we faced a far more dangerous foe that any Islamic threat, our Police were almost universally unarmed and enjoyed far more respect than they seem to get these days.

Statistically your chances of being involved in any kind of gun related crime in the UK are almost negligible. We are lucky to enjoy one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world, behind Italy, France, Australia, Finland and Switzerland for a start. Outside of war zones the USA remains the most dangerous - so although you may feel safe in New York you are far safer just about anywhere in Europe.

Sadly our Police have never been so poorly regarded as they are now. The obsessive criminalisation of motorists and other easy targets, the heavy handed attitudes that result in events like the tasering of geriatrics, the lying and deceit at events like Hillsborough, the utter indifference to burglary and assault and the riots last summer have all contributed to a massive lessening of public regard.

I dont believe they need to be armed. I dont believe they need tasers but I do believe they need reminding that they are not an instrument of the State but a service for the benefit of the people of this country.

Simon Chan is off-line
19 October 2012 04:47
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from clearview_photography
Lets hope they didnt leave with a battered sausage 

Look more like roasted peanut

Joke aside, tasers were suppose to be used as an alternative to guns and used as a defence when police or someone else's lives are threatened without killing the assailant. When it was introduced in the UK that was the argument for arming the police with tasers. I don't remember tasers were meant to be used as cattle prod.

Paul Hodson is off-line
19 October 2012 05:26
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Chandos
Joke aside, tasers were suppose to be used as an alternative to guns and used as a defence when police or someone else's lives are threatened without killing the assailant. When it was introduced in the UK that was the argument for arming the police with tasers. I don't remember tasers were meant to be used as cattle prod.

+1

It is like CS spray - I remember a case of the police using this on an an elderly man sitting in his car because he was rude to them and uncooperative.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steve Guy is off-line
19 October 2012 05:43
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from Chandos

So you clearly understand whats happening?
What I see is this guy undress at an event creating a spectacle of himself and there are lot of people encouraging his behavour. There is a lot of people objecting the action of the police. He is neither violent or threatening anyone, he did not appear to offend anyone at least not on the video. Only people on that video who appears to be offended here are the police. Neither you or I knows exactly what is legal here because it is the USA, the land of ultimate contradiction, their First Ammendment and all that. The action of the police, well you can see how useless they are. They tasered him repeatedly. I know its not always easy against someone who not very co-operating but come on what did they do to someone like that before police had taser? He wasnt violent enough to merit batoning. TBH I would have though the next action was get him on arms lock and move him away, if more resistent wrestle him to the ground and carry him away.
We use to frequently have drunks messing about in our chippy and refuses to leave protesting their rights but we got them to leave without using a taser. If the law was need the police got them to go away again without taser. Simple tack and persuasion to show these people are not on is clearly not within the training of these poice who sees tasering someone as a easy option.

Do you ever see streakers invading football matches dodging ground keepers and police get tasered? No.

Again, you merely demonstrate your ignorance of what happened there. It is simply beyond belief that these police officers, who started out very laid back, were not enforcing some local legislation. Quite probably, given the number of officers there, they had attended as a result of a complaint. Also, this wasn't a running streaker who's prime objective was a bit of a laugh. And when did you see a streaker refusing to put his clothes on being left alone by the police to carry on? There is a good possibility that he was self medicating and/or mentally disturbed. Whether he was or not, the officers had to factor in this possibility. Nobody else appeared willing to remove their clothes and join him so it wasn't that sort of gathering. You might consider it was no big thing, but to make such a display of a body part remarkable only in it's deficiency might easily suggest mental issues.

So, they have to do something. Now you say it's not always easy against someone who is not cooperating. You are wrong. It's never easy. and you ignore the most important aspect of this confrontation. Those police officers are carrying guns. I don't have recent statistics, but in the 90s, one in five police officers who were shot were shot with their own firearm. When you are carrying a firearm you simply cannot afford to risk the grappling so often seen here. And don't forget, one of an obviously hostile crowd could quite possibly have decided it was a good opportunity to seize an officer's firearm. So again they cannot afford to get too tangled up wrestling with the idiot.

In the USA police officers also have to give great thought to civil issues. If departmental rules say that a suspect must be handcuffed before being transported from the immediate scene of an arrest and he is not handcuffed then, if something goes awry and he is injured then the officers may be personally liable. Unlike the UK, a police department sued over injury will first seek to prove the officer acted outside departmental guidelines. If they succeed then the officer becomes personally liable for the damages awarded. No vicarious liability for the department. The officer pays.

All in all, I think they did pretty good.

Steve Guy is off-line
19 October 2012 05:49
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from Chandos

You are mistaken. TASERs (Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle) stand at the same level as CS sprays and the like. Safer than tapping someone on the crust with a baton, and more effective than hitting them elsewhere. They are not an alternative to guns. US definition of an idiot? someone who takes a knife (or TASER) to a gun fight. you may have had that impression when TASERs were promoted as an alternative to arming the police, as arming the police is considered an undesireable concept that was being called for by many at the time.

Paul Hodson is off-line
19 October 2012 06:24
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Sdeve
I don't have recent statistics, but in the 90s, one in five police officers who were shot were shot with their own firearm.

Damn - that's reassuring. 

Quote from Sdeve
They are not an alternative to guns. You may have had that impression when TASERs were promoted as an alternative to arming the police, as arming the police is considered an undesirable concept that was being called for by many at the time.

Semantics. Of course they are not an alternative to guns where guns are called for and required. But they are an alternative to giving every bobby on the beat a gun, which some people have called for. In this regard they are very much an alternative. And given the heavy handed approach sometimes seen - thank God for that!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Moi is off-line
19 October 2012 06:42
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from Sdeve
................................You might consider it was no big thing, but to make such a display of a body part remarkable only in it's deficiency might easily suggest mental issues............................................

Are you suggesting a man might be silly

Based upon the size of his willy smiley
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Steve Guy is off-line
19 October 2012 06:54
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from mph
Damn - that's reassuring. 

That's mainly down to them being overpowered in a physical confrontation when they should have drawn their firearms much sooner but instead wanted to be 'nice'. I believe that percentage will have been significantly reduced since the 90s due to insistence of safety holsters and better traiing. That figure also includes those officers who chose to commit suicide with their service firearm. A disturbingly high number of suicides take place down to the stresses of the job. For whatever reasons, the inquest often decides that the officer was killed while cleaning his gun. Though, as one rather droll Georgia sheriff remarked to me, not many people lick the barrel of their guns clean.

Webby is off-lineSilver Member
19 October 2012 07:22
Webby962
Photographer
Webby962
Hertfordshire
Stotfold

Quote from Sdeve

That's mainly down to them being overpowered in a physical confrontation when they should have drawn their firearms much sooner but instead wanted to be 'nice'. I believe that percentage will have been significantly reduced since the 90s due to insistence of safety holsters and better traiing. That figure also includes those officers who chose to commit suicide with their service firearm. A disturbingly high number of suicides take place down to the stresses of the job. For whatever reasons, the inquest often decides that the officer was killed while cleaning his gun. Though, as one rather droll Georgia sheriff remarked to me, not many people lick the barrel of their guns clean.

That high number of ND's might also be due to the high number of Glock 17/19s that are used by the police over there... A safe action pistol that can only go bang when someone pulls the trigger!

After 25 years as an armourer in the army, I only ever saw 1 ND when the user had not pulled the trigger, and that was way back in the day on a L2A3 SMG!

A lot of police have been 'guilty' of drawing the glock from a safety holster (like a tac serpa for example) and the trigger finger which releases the pistol then wraps round the trigger. Result, 1 x extra hole in your shoe!

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mghphoto photostevo Pictureimage Steveh32