Blind Man with White Stick Tasered by Police

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
23 October 2012 04:32
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Quote from couchpotato

"The officer involved has yet to be suspended from carrying a Taser despite the fact that the officer involved would need to be investigated for both disciplinary proceedings and criminal assault on Mr Farmer. 

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blind-man-sues-police-over-taser-133517444.html 

Ah, i missed that bit.
The press wrote it so it must be true.

Makes you think that there is more to the story than what has been reported though doesnt it.

23 October 2012 16:16
AbiHillModel
Model

Quote from photoclassic
Bit too much of a jump in the assumption there I think.  Anyone untrained in combat who fears they are about to be attacked and is not in a position to run will freeze like a rabbit in the headlights.

Admittedly I used to box and was under the influence of alcohol, but when I was jumped walking home from a bar I did the complete opposite of freeze - I went into autopilot and kicked seven bells out of this guy with a high heel in one hand and cheesy chips in the other (and its a running joke that I saved my bacon, but also my cheesy chips and my high heels...)

Different people have different instinctive reactions based on their upbringing and what prior exposure they've had (if any) to a situation. Nowadays if I am confronted one on one with someone I waste no time in trading blows if I feel under threat. Call me a thug all you want, but that's what how I instinctively react.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

Moi is off-line
23 October 2012 16:29
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from AbiHillModel
Admittedly I used to box and was under the influence of alcohol, but when I was jumped walking home from a bar I did the complete opposite of freeze - I went into autopilot and kicked seven bells out of this guy with a high heel in one hand and cheesy chips in the other (and its a running joke that I saved my bacon, but also my cheesy chips and my high heels...) Different people have different instinctive reactions based on their upbringing and what prior exposure they've had (if any) to a situation. Nowadays if I am confronted one on one with someone I waste no time in trading blows if I feel under threat. Call me a thug all you want, but that's what how I instinctively react.

You're a THUG smiley

I can just see the Front Page of the Chronical, the Journal and the Northern Echo, oh not forgetting the New York Times

The face of Simply B admits she's a thug!
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
23 October 2012 16:55
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

really, a blind man getting tasered indeed!

the ONLY reasoning behind the tasering a blind
man with a white stick would be that the officer doing the tasering
was a mentally-retarded idiot, blind himself, or simply out to cause trouble,
unless his trigger finger "slipped"

i'm very pro guns, i love sport shooting (at inert targets), and my ideal
gun/weapon is a 357magnum or glock 9mm, i love shooting handguns,
but the more i hear about the kind of mistakes(?) being made on the street
the more i think how woefully inadequate training is the cause of mishaps.

the gun itself is just a piece of metal. the person in charge of it
is the danger. this applies to less-lethal solutions as much as it
does to anything else. gas grenade launchers to atomic weapons, they are
all totally safe - its the person the presses the button that's not.

my vote goes to a far stricter regime of armed officer selection,
and then a lot more training, both physical, psychological and practical.

shooting a weapon is a last resort end-of-the line action (even a less-lethal),
surely?

23 October 2012 17:20
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

The police in the UK get called to hundreds of firearms jobs EVERY day.
Its inevitable that they will get it wrong at some time or another, as they are human. That doesnt make it OK and acceptable though.
Its the same with the armed forces. There are plenty of stories of these getting it wrong too and not just in the battle field either.
Admittingly there are those who shouldnt use a pen never mind a gun (that goes for police and armed forces).

All due respect but shooting inert targets can not be compared to going to a job where you may actually be killed. There are a lot of things going through your mind, there is a lot of adrenalin and you become tunnel visioned. In fact you absolutely crap yourself with fear too.

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
23 October 2012 17:22
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Quote from pompeytog
(snip) ....can tell stories of shooting an enemy two or three times and they are still certainly capable of firing back at you.

this is especially the case when the 'enemy' is high on pcp etc.

you can pop them once twice three times, and they will still be coming at you
until you manage to sever an artery or cause massive trauma. they experience little
to no pain and will simply come at you until one of the conditions above is
fulfilled. very scary.

its possible to stop someone with a .22 round,
but you have to be a very very good marksman to engage and stop someone with
such a small round where pure accuracy is needed - something difficult to achieve
when you have a nutter firing a fully auto tactical machine gun or a tec or even
an ak or uzi. very scary. very difficult to stop them. stress and fear
can even cause all your shots to miss the target.

Moi is off-line
23 October 2012 17:29
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Ah the world of the video game, at one time I could only watch John Wayne win WW2 for the Americans, now I can BE him

Im brill with a plastic gun, and NEVER get afraid
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

23 October 2012 17:46
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Quote from alexcrawford

this is especially the case when the 'enemy' is high on pcp etc.

you can pop them once twice three times, and they will still be coming at you
until you manage to sever an artery or cause massive trauma. they experience little
to no pain and will simply come at you until one of the conditions above is
fulfilled. very scary.

its possible to stop someone with a .22 round,
but you have to be a very very good marksman to engage and stop someone with
such a small round where pure accuracy is needed - something difficult to achieve
when you have a nutter firing a fully auto tactical machine gun or a tec or even
an ak or uzi. very scary. very difficult to stop them. stress and fear
can even cause all your shots to miss the target.

Thats why (in the right hands) the taser is the best option.
If someone is high on certain drugs, hit them with a baton and they will keep coming. CS or pepper spray them and they will keep coming. Shoot them with a gun (providing you only wing them) they keep coming. Taser them and they WILL stop (for as long as the button is pressed) as it causes an involuntary movement on the muscles.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
23 October 2012 17:51
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from clearview_photography
at one time I could only watch John Wayne win WW2 for the Americans, now I can BE him

Why on Earth would you want to be a bow-legged, constipated John Wayne when you could be a hungover Robert Mitchum with an open bottle of Redeye just out of shot? Weird!
Bob

Moi is off-line
23 October 2012 18:32
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from Bob
Why on Earth would you want to be a bow-legged, constipated John Wayne when you could be a hungover Robert Mitchum with an open bottle of Redeye just out of shot? Weird!
Bob

Because I AM bow-legged and constipated, but on the other hand Im also a drunk

Play it again Sam, oops now Im Woody Allen

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 ElleLaura fizzy Marty2k10
bbphotos Brian2008 casell Djanimation eosfan forden_photo freddie geoffmarchant Gregory_Mason hodgen James7799 joolsy KDP Kjoservices lify mareeoosh Marleyman mauricesimagery mikehemmings Mikeoj moritz78 orkadia Phiesta1 piksmike rod_m99 rscott360 steveh32 togman