Reminder Secure

Anyone had a Hernia op?

16 October 2012 19:34
BaileyK
Model

Hi guys,

My pop pop is set to have his umbilical hernia sorted with surgery within the next 6 weeks...

Has anyone else had surgery and what are we to expect?
He is useless at asking questions...

How long were you off work etc?
xxx

JackR is off-line
16 October 2012 21:06
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
West Midlands
Burntwood

No lifting, no straining on the loo, off work for about 6 weeks. Simples.

Good luck to him.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
17 October 2012 03:59
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

A friend of mine had a hernia op and soon after came down with DVT. Due mainly to inactivity after the op probably . DVT can follow most operations so not by any means a forgone conclusion. It might be worth learning the exercises needed to curtail the chances of getting it.

Alan Wilson is off-line
17 October 2012 04:29
alanwilson
Photographer
alanwilson
Kent

As Jack said on the first two points, and work depends on what he does, dont make him laugh too much, and you have to buy him things and make him all his favourite foods and keep him well topped up with cups of tea.

Tell your dad the good news is he will have a more defined six pack, and instantaneously feel as he did in his twenties.

TJ is off-line
17 October 2012 04:56
Feff
Photographer
Feff
West Sussex
Worthing

Had mine done four years ago, you have to be careful no to strain yourself, especially in the first couple of weeks.I was only off work for a week, but then as a photographer I suppose it was easier for me, as there's no heavy lifting etc!

Biggest surprise was the energy I had back after the op! Didn't realise what a drain on my body having a hernia was!

RiverSideStudio is off-lineSilver Member
17 October 2012 05:19
Beemer2009
Photographer
Beemer2009
Kent
Maidstone

Hi ,

Had mine done 3 weeks today, had a double one, nothing to worry about.
Was sore for 3 days, driving in 4 days, but I was in discomfort , so let it another 2 days .

The only problem I had was when I helped wife with shopping and picked up a shopping bag,,,,,,,, 2 days of pain

So was advised yesterday, NO HEAVY LIFTING for 3 month. Just have a little discomfort every now and then.

85.000 people have this op a year.

Mark

17 October 2012 07:10
BaileyK
Model

Thanks guys much appreciated!

My dad has been exercising and I think he will struggle hugely not being about to cain it at the gym.
He wants to see what if anything he can do exercise wise...
He was told no work/driving for a month x

RiverSideStudio is off-lineSilver Member
17 October 2012 07:24
Beemer2009
Photographer
Beemer2009
Kent
Maidstone

Hi Again,

I was told I could drive as soon as I could stamp my feet on the floor hard . The only thing I was told was not to drive for 72 hours due to the drugs .
As for work, if he has a desk job I'd say a week, I was at the studio with in 3 days, but was very uncomfortable just sitting there , should have given a week .

Mark

Razoir is off-line
17 October 2012 09:47
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Most hernias are sorted out as day-cases, these days BUT I am not sure if umbilicals come in that category. ASSUMING that they use the same sort of technique for umbilical as for inguinal (the common one) hernias they sew a sheet of strong nylon mesh over the tear. The whole thing is pretty strong form the finish of the operation but will be sore for a while. Almost all exercise will involve some kind of abdominal muscle activity so he is probably better off ignoring the gym for a few weeks. He will probably be seen by a physiotherapist before discharge and she or he is the person to ask about return to the gym.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

diipii is off-line
22 October 2012 16:05
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Still got mine after 30+ years and am quite attached to it.
I guess it must be a "mild mannered one".
It only happens all the time.

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Samanthajane4
ChrisD grahamsphotography lester2705 Musicman Platidonio rembrandt westend_portfolios
Charlottealom