Reminder Secure

New website - Comments please :)

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
14 October 2012 09:28
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

If they are quality photos then yes there is a point, as this shows what you are capably of pulling off. They are still you afterall. They also confirm that you are signed and possibly more professional than your port at the minute, especially if you have different facial expressions.
You are correct however, that more up to date photos are better and should always be included as they show the real you as you look NOW.
You should be proud of your work past and present and show it off.
It may be your older stuff that gets you more hits and business. Photographers can look at your more recent stuff and read your notes to see if they want to shoot with you or not.

Your port and your photos are your CV dont forget.

14 October 2012 10:43
AbiHillModel
Model

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Internet modelling is very different to agency modelling, I wouldn't listen to a word of "advice" from an agency when it comes to marketing yourself as an internet model. Its not always "quality over quantity" -  even though it should be. Ofcourse I don't mean a model should upload 300 very similar crap images of herself but if she is claiming to be very experienced then she needs to show she actually is experienced. I could tell everybody whatever I want about my past but without images they wouldn't believe me because people - usually newer models talk crap to big themselves up but generally just make a complete fool of themselves in the process.

I have older images on my portfolio but I upload a new one every few weeks just so people know I still look the same and haven't grown a third arm or 2nd head. I have been told in the past my portfolio intimidated some newer photographers, I don't fully understand that BUT I changed my portfolio around and uploaded some images which may not be the best there are of me but they show what a photographer of a lesser ability can create with me without a team of people to help them, also with minimal retouching. It might not be a fantastic overall image but it shows what I can do at the most basic level which is model.

Some photographers actually book a model not only as a model but as somebody who can HELP them, show them the way - make sure they get a cracking shot. An experienced model who has worked with 100's of photographers in various settings and styles will be much more able to help out than a model who appears to only have had 10 shoots in a studio with top end photographers who hire retouchers. 

The difference I have noticed between average agency models and average internet models is that the agency girls seem to stand about waiting for instructions on what they need to do, they may work great under direction but lack that ability to just go with the moment - many cannot just throw makeup on, do their own hair or dress themselves because they are used to other people doing that for them. This is just my observations really so when a model says "agency signed" I'm never really that impressed.. What does impress me is a good portfolio with a variety of images teamed with a bunch of references saying she was awesome!

I have to be honest, I went onto the OP's website...  I think she should focus on getting a portfolio together to showcase. Nobody works on the frame of a picture before they work on the picture..

I want to agree with you, especially the first paragraph, but I have found the complete opposite to be true - since I slimmed my portfolio down and ditched most of the TF i've ever done i've booked a lot more work both agency and internet based. For photographers who want to see the older shots, I have them on my laptop and can send anything relevant to what their concept is, but the vast majority are happy to book me on the strength of my portfolio as it stands now - probably because it makes a refreshing change from sifting through hours of random TF shots dotted online like a badly rearranged jigsaw.

My look itself hasn't dramatically changed in the time i've been modelling, so I could still use some of my older work if it was relevant to a particular casting, but generally speaking I don't use it because my modelling ability has improved greatly since then and I don't want it in my book unless i'm at my very best. I add in some of my more commercial images for commercial castings and usually include HD screenshots of Ads and videos too.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

15 October 2012 04:12
Ashleyw
Photographer

My advice would be to buy your own domain name instead of using a free website.
Websites without their own domain name look cheap to me, it's not expensive to get your own domain and very easy to implement.

Although I am an avid photographer, I also run my own web design company and may be able to help you.
I won't use this forum to plug my business but, if you need help just mail me.

All views are my own!

15 October 2012 04:40
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Some photographers actually book a model not only as a model but as somebody who can HELP them, show them the way - make sure they get a cracking shot.

In all honesty I can't imagine there being many photographers that would be attracted by this prospect - most would be scared off I think. Photographers can be mighty insecure - especially novice ones.

Quote from Chrissie_Red
The difference I have noticed between average agency models and average internet models is that the agency girls seem to stand about waiting for instructions on what they need to do, they may work great under direction but lack that ability to just go with the moment - many cannot just throw makeup on, do their own hair or dress themselves because they are used to other people doing that for them.

But that's what sets the agency models apart. The average internet model can be a nightmare to work with precisely because they're too eager to do exactly what they've done before in precisely the same way as they've always done it. Try breaking an internet model out of her mould - she invariably crumbles (admittedly there are a few notable exceptions).

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I have to be honest, I went onto the OP's website...  I think she should focus on getting a portfolio together to showcase.

I do agree with that.

15 October 2012 14:52
Marty_W
Photographer

Quote from Ashleyw
My advice would be to buy your own domain name instead of using a free website.
Websites without their own domain name look cheap to me, it's not expensive to get your own domain and very easy to implement.

Agree, Your site functions, has all the relevant info, however
your background image is an eyesore. Keep it plain and simple.
Look into using word press. Its dead easy, I can use it and
When it comes to web design. My mate who I studied graphic design
With built my site, I can add what I want when I want.

Chrissie Red is off-line
15 October 2012 15:05
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from mgphotomedia
In all honesty I can't imagine there being many photographers that would be attracted by this prospect - most would be scared off I think. Photographers can be mighty insecure - especially novice ones.

But that's what sets the agency models apart. The average internet model can be a nightmare to work with precisely because they're too eager to do exactly what they've done before in precisely the same way as they've always done it. Try breaking an internet model out of her mould - she invariably crumbles (admittedly there are a few notable exceptions).

I do agree with that.

You might not imagine many would be attracted by that prospect but as somebody who has worked with 100s of photographers all over the country I can assure you there are plenty who would see that as a benefit and put their photography progression before their ego's.

Everybody likes different things, some like a puppet with a blank expression who cannot move unless instructed and others like a model who can interpret a brief and just go with it. Bodies do only go a certain amount of ways, as do faces and expressions - all models are going to run out eventually of "new things".. If they are able to pull off pose after pose within what the photographer has set out as his aims and perfecting it to suit what the photographer is after then I don't see that as a bad thing at all. 

16 October 2012 03:18
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer

Quote from AbiHillModel
Yeah, or you could use my own site as an example...

Or not. I loaded this site for a look, and for the first few seconds (which always feels much longer) was met with a totally blank page, which I'd usually have simply closed assuming the site was dead. Personally my preference is for simpler sites anyway, which present me with the information and navigation routes I'm looking for under my own control, rather than forcing me to sit through 'artistic' presentations that the author thinks I should be interested in. So by the time I've waited for it to load, I'd already got fed up.

This is just my personal view of course. But I know I'm not alone in this. So if nothing else it's a lesson in that you won't please everyone...

09 November 2012 14:55
BMetcalf
Photographer

agree with Jack Russell

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann
gordon