kitty is off-line
10 October 2012 13:41
unendingsleep
Model
unendingsleep
Gloucestershire
gloucester

Hi
Just trying to pick up tips on how you made the transition from doing modelling mainly tf to gain a good port and expirience to taking on mainly paid work and making it into a career?
Id like to try and branch out but uncertain of how to really
I know upgrading will help and being agency represented-i have been accepted by an agency just waiting on paperwork
I think part of me is worrying I wouldnt make it in paid aspect nervous people wouldnt book me paid!
But yes any tips or advice apreciated
I wouldnt make the transition until next year due to pregnancy when I feel me and baby are ready for me to start back
Thank you
All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege

zoepinknose  is off-lineSilver Member
10 October 2012 13:46
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

You don't need an agency Hun, I find the majority of my work myself
Make a name for yourself... Social media, twitter etc and work will start coming to you
Put out your own casting calls and do home shoots if you can
Work with amatuers and professionals

Hope this helps a little

Any questions just mail me xx
Never a dull moment

11 October 2012 05:47
AbiHillModel
Model

Work hard.
Self promote.
Know your niche.
99% of models will have another source of income in addition to what they earn as models so don't rely solely on it.
Personally, I wouldn't bother paying to be on sites like this. Might be different for you as we shoot different genres, but it wouldn't be worth my while as most of the offers I get on here for paid work I end up refusing as unsuitable/beyond my levels.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

Katie Soze is off-line
11 October 2012 06:07
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

Get a reputation for being reliable is good. I got a lot of work from saying - if you ever have a no show I can work at short notice.

Tf with the right people and the rest will want to pay you. It's all reputation

11 October 2012 07:39
Tansy_Blue
Model

WITH MAGIC.

No, seriously, when people who wouldn't benefit my portfolio started messaging me for shoots I replied with rates. Now most people who message me expect to pay me. I wouldn't call it a "career" though, more "part time student job".

You won't arbitrarily decide when you're going to start accepting paid work though; deciding you want paid work is not the same as actually getting it. Make sure your rates are competitive for your genres and look. And it's a good idea to keep doing the occasional trade shoot to try new genres, get creative, improve your skills, and in order to have strong portfolio updates on a regular basis.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

beauvoir is off-line
11 October 2012 08:45
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

I found that the more I was willing to take my clothes off, the more money people were willing to pay me.

Hope this helps!

11 October 2012 09:00
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Models tend to progress faster than photographers. So every photographer you TF with now is likely to be one that won't pay you in the future. And if they're all on your doorstep you'll have to look further afield for paid work.

It's almost as if the more TF you do the harder it becomes to make that break into paid work!

JackR is off-line
11 October 2012 09:44
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
West Midlands
Burntwood

Quote from mgphotomedia
It's almost as if the more TF you do the harder it becomes to make that break into paid work!

Sorry, I disagree... I think TF with the RIGHT photographers will get you paid work immediately.  (Just speaking from my experience)

11 October 2012 10:21
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from Jack_Russell
Sorry, I disagree... I think TF with the RIGHT photographers will get you paid work immediately.  (Just speaking from my experience)

My argument was regarding the VOLUME of TF. The point about the RIGHT photographer had already been made earlier in the thread and since I agree with it, at least in principle, felt no need to comment further about it.

However in practical terms the RIGHT photographer is hard to identify - particularly for new/relatively new models. Even harder for them to obtain a shoot with them due to lack of funds etc.

So, unless someone's prepared to say to a model I think so-and-so is the right photographer for you, it doesn't really help them very much. Added to that it's unlikely that even you and I would agree about who the RIGHT photographer is for a particular model let alone everyone else.

Kevin Wilson is off-line
11 October 2012 10:38
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from mgphotomedia
Models tend to progress faster than photographers. So every photographer you TF with now is likely to be one that won't pay you in the future. And if they're all on your doorstep you'll have to look further afield for paid work.

+1

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sarah75
fineartbysimon Glam2k Willjamieson