Reminder Secure

I spent £9.96 to book a doctors appointment!

djwilby is off-line
09 October 2012 12:08
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Essex
Dagenham

I have just got my mobile bill and noticed it was a little higher than I thought it should be, so I checked it out and found out my new doctors surgery number is a premium line costing 41p a minute - with a minimum charge of 1 minute.

While sat in the waiting room a couple of months ago I noticed a new number for appointments so I automatically put it in my mobile without giving it a second thought.

A couple of weeks ago I needed an appointment and rang them - the first 3 attempts to call I got a message saying the surgery was closed (that cost me £1.23).
My fourth attempt I was holding for about 9 minutes before I had to put the phone down and take another call.
My 5th attempt I managed to book an appointment after a lot of hassle (another story) and almost 13 minutes!

I have checked their web sites that shows their one and only contact number and nothing is stated about the premium rate.
I didn't fancy ringing them to complain, so I have written them a letter which I will drop off tomorrow, at the same time I'll see if the posters with their number mentions the fact that the number is premium rate.

I've just realised that it's going to cost me more - I wanted an urgent appointment so my wife also tried half dozen times to call them! 

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Andy is off-line
09 October 2012 12:17
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

that sums up this country at the momentand comes as no surprise at all, i'd be calling the local health board (on their premium number )to complain
lets get shootin

Andy is off-line
09 October 2012 12:19
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/health/gp-surgeries-are-still-using-premium-rate-dialling-codes-join-the-debate-1-3322581
lets get shootin

09 October 2012 12:21
River
Model

My phone bills have cost a bomb recently thanks to student finance. It costs a stupid amount per minute to ring them, and they normally keep me on hold for about 10 minutes! Silly thing is that its costing me money to be able to GET my money. Grrr.
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Peter Hague is off-line
09 October 2012 12:33
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

See if those pesky premium rate numbers show up in

http://www.saynoto0870.com

I found my doctors there, and now use the normal number the line diverts to. 
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
09 October 2012 12:39
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Is it a full cost nuber from a landline?

I notices that 0845 numbers that are local from your landline or 0800 which are free are about 40p from my mobile and can't be called within free minutes.

So check the number and what the surgery beleive it costs.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

09 October 2012 12:40
cathfazaxxx
Model

Now a days if I need to go to the doctors I just walk in and book an appointment quicker and hassle free.
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

djwilby is off-line
09 October 2012 13:01
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Essex
Dagenham

If I had used a land line it would have cost about 15p connection and 8p per minute - but I was out and at work and don't normally think about using the works phone for private calls. Also as I have a mobile package I very rarely use the home phone - I would probably have used the mobile even if I was at home.

Had a quick look about 0844 numbers and it looks like the owner of the number can get about 2-4p per minute back - so the doc got about £1 of my money! They might had to subscribe, but all they have to do is turn their phone off for a couple of minutes a day and they soon get the subscription paid.

Shouldn't the users of premium numbers state that using mobiles to call them are going to be expensive! I'm sure I've heard on the TV quizzes that "using a mobile will be considerably more"! 

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

djwilby is off-line
09 October 2012 13:04
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Essex
Dagenham

Quote from cathfazaxxx
Now a days if I need to go to the doctors I just walk in and book an appointment quicker and hassle free.

With the number of visits I've had recently I wish this would be an option. I live in Essex/East London and to get to my doctors it's a 10 minute drive and then due to parking it's normally a 5 minute walk on top. Same for the Chemist!

Andy Johnstone is off-line
09 October 2012 13:21
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
London
Bexleyheath

With many of these deals the surgery itself doesn't make that much money; instead a facilities company installs and maintains all the practice's internal communications, internet and IT infrastructure and in return gets the lion's share of the (considerable) revenue.  Not that that in any way makes the use of premium rate numbers justifiable.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777 danixhale fashion29 Krystald pinklilly Shannone Zadi
63jian android_man bradder carpe_diem Dandelion djb1 donaldmac doughnut dwhphotography JOOPninja keltica Kjoservices Lumen MIB mikebee mrdl nemesis Puremoods Rhadamanthus ronniefesta thelook Thunder_Photos