Reminder Secure

Dear Doctor Purestorm - Am I dehydrating ?

beauvoir is off-line
22 October 2012 16:41
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

I'm not wrong. Beer and milk aren't water. That was all I was saying.

I haven't been brainwashed, either. Alcohol and caffine dehydrate the body, and milk isn't water.

23 October 2012 06:12
paule
Photographer

It's not 'water' it's fluids... and yes, milk contains water.... "All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks."

Water water, everywhere & even some to drink

It's 2012... how can people not know this stuff??

As a slight aside... there is no more or less water on earth now, than there has ever been... wooow... as all life is made up of water, every one and thing that lived and died ( we're 70% water ) is now back in the water cycle: people, dinosaurs, plants, fish... even all the pee that has ever been passed... yep, we're drinking/eating it!

Same goes for all the minerals we're made of, how cool is that... recycletastic.

beauvoir is off-line
23 October 2012 08:41
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

Oops, my mistake!!

Jay Forrest is off-line
27 April 2013 15:55
Forrestphotography
Photographer

North Yorkshire
York

Quote from 1919_Images
The easiest way to tell if youre hydrated or not is the colour of your urine, it should be a pale straw colour, if its clear youre drinking too much water, (total horseForrestphotography is a naughty person )if its darker youre dehydrated.

Rather than drinking large quantities of water eat fruit (fructose is one of the worst sugars to consume) vegetables or drink juice/milk (use milk to rehydrate? This will just up your fat content and contains poor sugar)as they contain large percentages of water and are much more beneficial to your body(horseForrestphotography is a naughty person again, vodka contains mostly water, why not drink that?).

I know you are only trying to help but unless you are truly qualified I'd stay away from giving advice on nutrition and stick to taking photos something you are good at. The advice you have given is antiquated and plain wrong.

Jay Forrest is off-line
27 April 2013 15:57
Forrestphotography
Photographer

North Yorkshire
York

Quote from MichelleHush
does mixing it with ribena count (the low suger one) if it does then i definately get my water intake as im a right bena head i love it

Adding cordial or something else (x) to water will increase your ability to rehydrate as it will slow its transit whilst the other compound is split from the water and your body will have more chance to absorb it.

Jay Forrest is off-line
27 April 2013 16:08
Forrestphotography
Photographer

North Yorkshire
York

Quote from lpphotografix
Caffeinated drinks (coffee/tea/coke/red bull....) can "dehydrate" you. However the caffeine is actually a bladder irritant (total bolx, it acts on anti diuretic hormone that regulates water balance, however you need over 500mg a day), and thus (i love that you use the word thus, makes it all sciencey) makes you want to urinate. Those of us who regularly drink too much caffeine become accustomed to the caffeine (the word is tolerance, it's what the big boys and girls use at med school) in which case the "dehydrating" effect does not occur.

27 April 2013 16:59
JadedRed
Model

I have a modelling forum nutritional thread drinking game. Every time someone says some nonsensical urban myth or imaginary science i take a sip.

So yes i drink my 2 litres a day.

OldMaster is off-line
29 April 2013 06:44
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

It's the best drink in the world!! But if you drink coffee or tea..or any beverage, it's got mostly water in it and contrary to popular myth such drinks do not dehydrate you!

2 litres of water is a lot of water and probably the recommendation from the bottled water companies! It has also been clearly demonstrated that bottled water is a rip off! Use your last bottled water bottle and fill it with tap water..it's probably better for you anyway because of the minerals in it.

But it is common sense, you need to replace the water you use up and if you are not sweating in a gym or running miles you will probably find 2l is over kill..as others have said, you can judge by your urine colour to some extent..and lack of enough water is the most common cause of headaches..

Common sense finds the balance!

29 April 2013 06:49
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Cody maria_dyl SophieLouise1991 tim Zadi
antoinewynn chriscooze ChrisD cliffc david1500 duncanjames grahamsphotography James7799 Leztec MIB modelboutique modjo30 Npick1 rscott360 shinywear stevegosh w4pictures westend_portfolios will_i_am
tim