Reminder Secure

Thyroid

09 September 2012 18:36
alshepherd
Model

Ok, so my doctor is pretty sure I have a low thyroid. But I have to have a blood test, and for some reason my irrational fear of needles has escalated, I ended up throwing up before I went in for the blood test, then they couldn't find my veins do I freaked out and left.
I really need to sort it out, but I can't face going and having the blood test, is there any other way I could have a test? I've got all the symptoms, can't lose weight properly, sweat loads for no reason (even when its cold) and I'm pretty much always tired. I need it sorting because it effects a lot of things I do. help please
See my full portfolio at http://anniesnow.wix.com/official

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 September 2012 18:53
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

It might be better asking your doctor these questions...

09 September 2012 19:17
alshepherd
Model

Quote from Chrissie_Red
It might be better asking your doctor these questions...

I did, he was less than helpful, my doctors surgery is appalling x
See my full portfolio at http://anniesnow.wix.com/official

09 September 2012 19:18
BaileyK
Model

Change surgery then?

Razoir is off-line
09 September 2012 20:51
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

You probably have a drop in centre near. Try them. You can do that without the hassle of changing doctors.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Frank Sinnott is off-line
09 September 2012 23:04
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Try the NHS website. There maybe other ways to test but it may cost more money. Or you are looking for answers that aren't there. Your fear of needles as is my fear of spiders irrational. Yet I can get rid of spiders without killing them we need them to kill the flys. Though it has to be said spiders are more common than blood tests so I've able to build up the courage to use the glass and card. Perhaps some hypnotherapy is needed but who's going to pay for that. Cash starved NHS needle phobias doctors and nurses will think. Oh no so while you are off looking for an alternative. I would say if there is one you'd have got it. Urine tests or saliva are the only other tests I can think of.

Not trying to make you feel guilty but I know of a friend of mine with the same phobia. She needed an injection for pain relief before a certain procedure. Couldn't do and alas suffered the consequences. I hope you do find an alternative. You're probably thinking this guy's a right prick but that's all a needle is a little one. Or as it is called today a scratch. I can't see you saying I wish that little scratch would **** off.
I do hope things work out for the best. Damn phobias where do we get them from.

Moi is off-line
10 September 2012 04:03
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from frankpht
Try the NHS website. There maybe other ways to test but it may cost more money. Or you are looking for answers that aren't there. Your fear of needles as is my fear of spiders irrational. Yet I can get rid of spiders without killing them we need them to kill the flys. Though it has to be said spiders are more common than blood tests so I've able to build up the courage to use the glass and card. Perhaps some hypnotherapy is needed but who's going to pay for that. Cash starved NHS needle phobias doctors and nurses will think. Oh no so while you are off looking for an alternative. I would say if there is one you'd have got it. Urine tests or saliva are the only other tests I can think of. Not trying to make you feel guilty but I know of a friend of mine with the same phobia. She needed an injection for pain relief before a certain procedure. Couldn't do and alas suffered the consequences. I hope you do find an alternative. You're probably thinking this guy's a right prick but that's all a needle is a little one. Or as it is called today a scratch. I can't see you saying I wish that little scratch would **** off. I do hope things work out for the best. Damn phobias where do we get them from.

Well its difficult to disagree with that or understand it to be honest

Are urine tests just taking the peee??
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Hotfrog is off-line
10 September 2012 11:04
Hotfrog
Photographer
Hotfrog
London

Here's my two pennys worth. If you are suffering from an under active thyroid the least of your worries is needles ! My wife has an under active thyroid and by doing the blood tests they diagnosed the reasons behind that . I am not a doctor but if you are in a surgery that cannot take your blood then go to another. You wont know how well you will feel until they diagnose and put into place corrective actions.

Good luck and bite the bullet over the needles

12 September 2012 08:33
laurenlangley
Model

I had a fear of needles so bad I used to pass out before I had them.I found these two things really helped:
diazapam (from my doctor)-10mg, on an empty stomach 40 mins approx before the blood test

Do not look at the needle at all and ask to lie down while the blood is taken.I found as long as I don't look I don't freak out.My fear was pathological but this meant I could have needles like a regular person.
If your thyroid is under active (mine is) losing weight is very tough amongst other things.But it can be done.However you need medication and its a serious condition that will worsen if not treated.You HAVE to bite the bullet and have this test, seriously I can't stress this enough, get through it any way you can.If your doctor is not sympathetic to your phobia and won't prescribe something to calm you change your doctor!Its a common phobia and not your fault.x
I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your´╗┐ Internet-assembled philosophy

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
12 September 2012 09:15
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

I have been aichmophobic since childhood after a dental needle broke in my mouth and the dentist screwed up its removal. It is something difficult to explain to anyone who has not suffered from a serious phobia, but these days most in the medical profession have a better understanding.

In the run up to Gulf War One it was imperative that I had a cocktail of injections and when I told the sister who was administering them that I had a needle phobia she was incredulous that I would willingly head off into the unknown to face the then very real threat of Scud missiles but I couldn't deal with needles. Jokingly, she  said something along the lines of: "You're a big roughie tougie boy and these little things won't hurt you". Then she held up a few. I promptly blacked out and it took her and the doctor twenty minutes to bring me round and get my heart rate back to normal.

The silly thing is that I actually carry my own sterile syringes and needles in my survival medical kit when working in remote or inhospitable places and I could play darts with them without blinking, but just a nanosecond glimpse of one in a doctor's or nurse's hands is likely to, at best, send my heart rate through the roof. This is particularly aggravating as I have to have routine blood tests at least every other month. However, so long as I don't actually see the little sods and the doc or nurse just gets straight in and does the business it's usually not too much of a problem; especially now that I have trained my mind to conjure up the image of a scantily clad Catherine Zeta Jones on a haystack on a warm summer day whenever nursey approaches me for my jabs.

I don't suppose that specific mind-over-matter technique will work all that well for you, unless you substitute CZJ, but it may be worth a try.

Bob

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin fashion29 missminiskirt pinklilly Vickiej Winterlilly
Add_barkaway android_man claypaws cliffc Daddylonglense david1500 donaldmac dorrian duncanjames Essexjohn geoffmarchant iestyn James7799 JPV karlsheen markwalden mghphoto MIB Penfoldpc peteb philippahh Rhadamanthus Roger1954 Smooth_image star_shots Thunder_Photos westend_portfolios