This thread is being watched by 1 person
Neil Anderson is off-line
10 September 2012 08:30
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

The specific problem with proposing to share travel costs between photographers is that it is an unknown amount.
How many photographers ? What happens when one or more drop out. Do you expect the others to pay more than previously agreed.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Chrissie Red is off-line
10 September 2012 09:40
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Another negative is that photographers will always expect (and rightly so) that you find the cheapest option available.

I don't know about anybody else but the thought of a long bus journey actually makes me feel quite ill and thats just thinking about it, not actually doing it.
I often opt for slightly better but more convenient for the shoot location hotels which is not always the cheapest but it avoids me having to worry to much about having to take 16 buses the morning of a shoot to get somewhere. If somebody else was footing the bill I would feel guilty, another thing is - how do you work out how much % people pay? Say somebody books you for 2 hours and another person books you for 8? it wouldn't be very fair for the person who booked you for 2 hours to pay as much as one who booked you for 8. If you know there will be demand in a certain area then go for it.. If things don't work out as planned then put it down to experience and move on from it. Seriously though a couple of days paid bookings will cover your costs, if you don't manage to secure many more shoots or only come back with £20 profit then maybe it was a bad idea but you don't know until you try.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
10 September 2012 13:12
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Quote from Plymjack
Bit harsh    there are over 50 active photographers listed in Devon & Cornwall so all within 2 hours of Plymouth..... not many but...

Not looking for TF though!

11 September 2012 15:08
nicoleeee
Model

Thank you for all the responses! I will definitely rethink my travel costs. I have always charged travel as most of my shoots aren't local and (especially for shorter bookings) I would be at a loss or only just breaking even. I would love the opportunity to tour with other people but I don't have any friends that are freelance models!

Thanks again for your thoughts, you've definitely got me thinking!
looking for creative minds in the south west, message me if that sounds like you!

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs isobel111 zavego
ad360photo ansonphotography belmez2000 Blancho cygnet dorrian Essexjohn eyecandiphotography Gentleguy gwentman Jobe JohnDentonPhoto jonnywoo M1chae15 mlp nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos PHP_Photography Pictureimage rikspiks stephenmuddell stevegosh thelook tms