Reminder Secure

Advice on organising tours / mini tours

This thread is being watched by 1 person
09 September 2012 12:27
nicoleeee
Model

I am planning on doing a "mini tour"  in the next month or so. I have one photographer definitely interested and I have accommodation should I need it. I thought it would be really easy to find other photographers to work with in the area and my idea was for them all to share travel costs between them. I have found it quite difficult to arrange, although people are interested they seem to not reply after I mention sharing the costs.

Could anyone who has successfully done tours / mini tours please give me some advice. Perhaps I have left it too late to organise (I have been searching photographers for about a month now) or perhaps I should cut out the travel costs and just charge a bit more on my hourly rate?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
looking for creative minds in the south west, message me if that sounds like you!

Gerry is off-line
09 September 2012 12:57
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

From my limited experience, tours can be hard work as some people are just unreliable.

I have booked models from far afield and they have stayed with me over one or both nights with the aim that they find other bookings around that nearer the time. They have both had to reschedule which was no problem for me and even on the second time, they ended up being messed around by others so ended up just shooting with me - which was a hell of a lot of travelling they had to do just for one shoot.

I assume you are doing this to get some pretty solid bookings over a period of days which you would be less likley to achieve if you stayed at home. So not sure charging extra for travel is a wise move - isnt that your investment to get the several days of solid bookings?
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

09 September 2012 13:41
JadedRed
Model

My advice is don't bother. If you're going to be in the area anyway then it doesn't hurt to book shoots whilst you're there and nothing wrong with travelling for single shoots but tours are IMO not worth the effort.

09 September 2012 14:26
Tansy_Blue
Model

I haven't toured much, but when I have done so I've just accepted travel as a cost, charged my standard rate, and booked enough work to make the expense worth it.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 September 2012 14:41
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

As Tansy has mentioned its easier to just absorb the cost yourself. I wouldn't up my rates to cover the costs.

In the past I have travelled with other people to save money - I think it cost us about £130 roughly each for the 3 of us to travel from Edinburgh - Newcastle-Leeds-Liverpool-Preston and that includes all hotel bills and petrol costs. Look at it this way I was away on my trip for 6 days - I had a couple of TF shoots (so my portfolio benefitted) and 4 paid bookings which made me £660 in total - take away the £130 and I was still left with over £500 from my little trip away and it was like a mini holiday for us all - spending time with people I loved doing things I loved away from home.

Other times I have planned shoots around holidays, I went for a cheap and cheerful Mon-Fri in Blackpool with the other half - I had a couple of shoots before blackpool and made £400 from them, even taking away the nice hotel we opted for and the travelling I still made over £100 and I would have been paying for my travel anyway so it was a win win situation. Again when I was on my holiday I managed to collaborate with somebody close by and got some nice pictures for my portfolio.

I don't ever charge travelling money, its just easier to have one rate and stick to it no matter where I am or what I'm doing. If you think you will be able to book yourself out for a week on a mini tour then you WILL make money, work with new people and be part of making new pictures. I always say "as long as I don't loose money" then I'm happy

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
09 September 2012 15:10
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

I think I've only managed it a couple of times where two photographers would say, "Hey, come to London from Plymouth", I'd explain that travel was £50 return and would they be happy sharing the cost. It's awkward to do so now I just go somewhere for a long enough period of time to make it worthwhile. I probably spent £150-200 on travel on my recent tour to Manchester area/south Scotland, but I was away for 14 days, and it was definitely worth it as there are no photographers in Plymouth.

Joel Hicks is off-line
09 September 2012 16:34
JoelHicks
Model
JoelHicks
Leicestershire

I think it's probably difficult to tour unless you have an extensive bank of photographers who you know want to shoot you... Your best bet is to find a 'base' and work from there... I have a 13 acre private location and studio in Leicestershire, and when models come to the Midlands they often use it as a base and shoot here, as then both them and I can put out castings for one specific place... It cuts travel costs, the midlands photographers know where to go, and (for travelling models) I throw in private accomodation... In other instances, it's probably worth contacting studios in the area you're heading to, and trying advertise for work that way.

G Jack B is off-line
10 September 2012 02:24
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from JenSomerfield
 and it was definitely worth it as there are no photographers in Plymouth.

Bit harsh    there are over 50 active photographers listed in Devon & Cornwall so all within 2 hours of Plymouth..... not many but...
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Tiina  is off-line
10 September 2012 02:44
tiinak
Model
tiinak
California
San Diego

I usually charge travel but not for tours. I've just been touring in Birmingham and paid travel and hotel myself and for Finland tours (done 3 of them this year so far) I usually stay with someone and one photographer usually pays my flights to get there. I've got a list of photographers I know in Finland and always got enough work there when I go, I just let them all know I'm coming.
"live your dream, don't dream your life" x

Fizzy is off-line
10 September 2012 06:24
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

I tour a lot around the country and I've never asked photographers to split the travel costs for me to get to the initial location. I'm touring Kent next, so I'll pay for the initial trip from Newcastle to Kent and return myself and absorb the cost from the bookings I pick up in the area. I think most other touring models do the same, so it may be that the photographers are going quiet because they didn't expect the additional cost (not that it's an unreasonable thing to ask, it's just not the norm as far as I know).
Art nude model - £35ph

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Carliegomez24 Katieann1 kkoch missloulou
alanbassettphotography antoinewynn antonart ChrisNewton DJ200 Djanimation djb1 eyecandiphotography Gregory_Mason Jamesrichards JohnDentonPhoto keltica LGI lify modelboutique Nessie paulq Philski photon psn Puremoods riddell sniffer steevrosewood Stevew1 swalsh58 TinDolls warrickstudios