This thread is being watched by 1 person
Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
06 September 2012 14:08
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

If they become unfashionable when they're thirty-five, they'll be fashionable again by the time they're seventy - and that's when it's really important to be cool

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
06 September 2012 15:09
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

I think people are wrong when they say that those who dont like tattoos wouldnt have photographed you in any case.
I dont like them but would still photograph someone who had a nice one as it can be a nice thing to photograph.
In fact i already have...

However, the more people get the worse they look in my eyes. Its not too bad if they follow a theme and all match/mingle with a meaning, but some just look like a mishmash of drawings with no meanings at all.

I am 43 and years ago (in my late teens) people were getting hearts with daggers through them, anchors and roses tattood on them as it was fashionable. These now look rediculous and old fashioned. Ten years ago girls got celtic designs on their lower back. These are now starting to look dated and in a few years 'may' look chavvy too (ok, it doesnt mean those who have them are chavvy or that all of them will be chavvy).

Also, like it or not, but it 'could' affect your chances of getting a job. If you are going to represent a company they may choose someone with fewer tattoos than with a full sleeve of them. This is in no way a bearing on if you can actually do the job or not, but we do live in a country that is judgemental and discriminates unfortunatley. Hell, even the police force want to know what tattoos you have.

Tattoos are certainly more acceptable and the 'norm' now, but not having them holds fewer restrictions than having them in this world i believe.

As for people not wanting to photograph you in your sixties, Suzimonty doesnt do too badly and still looks great.

andyh is off-line
07 September 2012 20:07
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

Good thing, dont have an issue with it at all
www.andyh.info/blog.php

zoepinknose  is off-lineSilver Member
08 September 2012 04:27
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

So I'm thinking its like 70-30 for the sleeve!
Appointments booked! Will post pictures on my twitter Monday dinner time
Never a dull moment

08 September 2012 17:04
johnlp
Photographer

In general I don't like them, BUT, nowadays so many models have them that it's difficult to exclude all models with them, because ultimately other things matter more.  I can think of three models I've worked with in the last 6 months where their other qualities/looks outweighed the presence of their tattoos.

However, personal messages, tattoos on breasts, and full sleeve tattoos would put me off.  I shoot a lot of lingerie, and if I think that the tattoos would distract and detract from the femine look I'm trying to achieve, or shout over the lingerie itself, it would be very unlikely that I would ask that model to work with me.  In fact in the last month I have turned down a model who asked to shoot with me, because she had a full sleeve tattoo.

I also have to admit that personal taste about the subject matter of the tattoo(s) has a lot to do with my acceptance of them.

So to answer your original question.  It will probably have no affect on your bookings.

11 September 2012 12:42
jessicamonroe
Model

Im heavily tattooed, im a Law student in Uni once i put the full sleeve blouse and smart clothe's on im just the same hard worker as someone without all the ink and they wouldnt know, but it's not everyone's taste's which i respect that.Personally i have had alot more work since getting ink if you want that sleeve get it dont let anything/anyone stop what YOU want xx

11 September 2012 12:59
JadedRed
Model

Quote from Sarge
I am 43 and years ago (in my late teens) people were getting hearts with daggers through them, anchors and roses tattood on them as it was fashionable. These now look rediculous and old fashioned.

Actually those seem to be very fashionable again.

I always wonder, when people use the argument that tattoo designs will eventually become old fashioned, if those people themselves always keep their clothing, hair, etc, bang on trend, and if not why they think other people worry about such things.

11 September 2012 13:00
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

Thanks hun- I got it done- still another 2 hrs to do and I love it! Love your look too xx
Never a dull moment

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2012 15:51
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Quote from JadedRed

Actually those seem to be very fashionable again.

I always wonder, when people use the argument that tattoo designs will eventually become old fashioned, if those people themselves always keep their clothing, hair, etc, bang on trend, and if not why they think other people worry about such things.

I should have put a disclaimer on my post.... i know nothing about fashion

The difference with clothing is that you can bin it and buy new (i got rid of my Farrah trouses, Fred Perry jumper and La Cost T shirts long ago), I now wear fashionable up to date clothing (for my age), its not the same with tattoos.
As for my hair, age and nature has decided on my style

I went to Asda tonight and noticed a lad in his mid 40's. His arms were covered in tattos and i couldnt see what any of them were due to their age. They actually looked as though he had just finished work and was up to the shoulders in dirty oil.
I guess this could be a mixture of cheap tattoos and not getting them topped up, but i have noticed that when they get topped up they are no longer crisp and sharp, they are 'blury', if thats makes sense.

12 September 2012 07:28
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

Just as well mine are high quality expensive tattoos... Like a designer top lol!
Never a dull moment

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
vahomemortgagelender