Reminder Secure

Cancellation tomorrow etc

This thread is being watched by 1 person
27 August 2012 05:32
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Do some models really get lots of cancellations - some seem to suffer from it persistently judging by the short notice casting calls they continually post?

Or is it just a marketing technique designed to encourage 'white knight' photographers to jump to their financial rescue?

If it's the former then I'm sorry that's the case. If it's the latter then well done for having the nous.

I kinda think most instances fall into the latter category though...

27 August 2012 05:34
Socialdisaster
Photographer

I don't think it's that thought out, as to encourage the whiteknights. But I think it is a useful ploy because you can add things to it like "slightly reduced rates" and so on.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Fizzy is off-line
27 August 2012 05:37
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

I only put up short notice casting calls when I've genuinely had a cancellation but without much hope of them ever getting filled. So far I've not had a single replacement booking from them, just a wasted day and wasted travel expenses, so if it is a marketing strategy for some models, it's not a good one.
Art nude model - £35ph

TarMoo is off-line
27 August 2012 05:51
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

Some models seem to constantly get cancellations. I wonder what the percentage is and how much notice the typically get. Are these true cancellations or shoots which have not been confirmed.

Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Fizzy is off-line
27 August 2012 06:03
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha. Checked over my casting calls and I've put two last minute casting calls out in the last year, both were cancellations on a booked and confirmed shoot, one because the photographer broke his shoulder and another because the photographer had simply forgotten to write the booking down and subsequently forgotten about it. I didn't get a single reply to one of them and the only reply I got to the second one was for a one hour shoot if I had my own location (I didn't and have a two hour booking minimum anyway).

I highly doubt it's some model ploy to get more bookings. Sometimes you are just genuinely unlucky with the people who book you and sometimes it does seem like when it rains it pours and you get a little cluster of cancellations all at the same time.
Art nude model - £35ph

27 August 2012 08:09
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from fizzy
This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha..

That wasn't my intention.  But I do wonder whether it's possible to be rationally paranoid!

Chrissie Red is off-line
27 August 2012 08:50
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from fizzy
This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha. Checked over my casting calls and I've put two last minute casting calls out in the last year, both were cancellations on a booked and confirmed shoot, one because the photographer broke his shoulder and another because the photographer had simply forgotten to write the booking down and subsequently forgotten about it. I didn't get a single reply to one of them and the only reply I got to the second one was for a one hour shoot if I had my own location (I didn't and have a two hour booking minimum anyway). I highly doubt it's some model ploy to get more bookings. Sometimes you are just genuinely unlucky with the people who book you and sometimes it does seem like when it rains it pours and you get a little cluster of cancellations all at the same time.

2 is NOTHING!!

I see one every week from one model, I think maybe its a follow up to "only have 1 day free left this month" which isn't strictly true so she posts up saying she has had a cancellation. I rarely get them but I rarely fully book myself out so if I get a cancellation then its not a big deal x

27 August 2012 10:52
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red
2 is NOTHING!!

I see one every week from one model, I think maybe its a follow up to "only have 1 day free left this month" which isn't strictly true so she posts up saying she has had a cancellation. I rarely get them but I rarely fully book myself out so if I get a cancellation then its not a big deal x

I can't quite work out whether you think they're genuine cancellations or some some sort of ploy. But that's the sort of frequency I had in mind when I started the thread.

That disaster chappie seems to make a good point though - they're an oppurtunity to slip in a 'slightly reduced rates' offer, presumably necessary because the generally advertised rates are too high. Makes sense I suppose.

Melissa Tongue is off-lineSilver Member
27 August 2012 11:03
xxmrmthxx
Model
xxmrmthxx
Oxfordshire
Henley-on-thames

reason why im quitting

27 August 2012 11:12
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from xxmrmthxx
reason why im quitting

Quitting because of cancellations?

Looking at your work references you seem, on the face of it, to be regularly booked - more regularly than many other models here.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Carliegomez24 kacie REDXXX RoxyMendez toxicinnocence
antoinewynn brunswickci davewilliams david1500 Dolayley flawless_photo gshocker30 gunnergraham gwentman humphries hylander iestyn jackw jonnywoo Jph1954 mike0048 nickdandalos orca_photography Pendragon140994 rscott360 Spiritofwales stevegosh Studio1 tonycsm