This thread is being watched by 1 person
John Hawthorne is off-line
10 December 2007 20:09
JohnFH
Photographer
JohnFH
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Scott, you are probably remembering the days when Purestorm was not moderated - it was downright awful in terms of bickering and even hatred.  I left because of it but came back when I heard moderators were involved.  With moderators controlling the forum, Purestorm is a completely different place.  There have been a lot of other improvements as well, so stick around.  (I don't suppose I get any commission now do I? winking1 )

About ModelMayhem - yes, overly American in the extreme and the fourm is useless and literally a complete waste of time.  However I also think the quality of photograghy is better there.

I use both Purestorm and ModelMayhem and no other site and I use Purestorm a lot more than ModelMayhem.
www.johnhawthorne.co.uk

squodge photography is off-line
10 December 2007 20:50
squodge
Photographer
squodge
London
London

Most of the models I've worked with are from myspace - they contact me!
Purestorm is good for portraiture/glamour/art nudes.
ModelMayhem is, well, good for nothing right now - useful for when I was in NY/Chicago in May.
Net-Model gets me the occasional good model [Mizz_Z, the 'nurse' in my portfolio].

~ squodge ~

There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not.

11 December 2007 05:51
miss_kristine
Model

what I've noticed about Model Mayhem is that hardly any of the photographers there offer paid work. Its all TFCD.

I once got one paid shoot booked through there though. But he cancelled on the same day because 'the weather was terrible'. he was in cheshire. I live in Birmingham. I spoke to another photographer from the same area, the same day on msn, and he said the weather had been lovely all day.

I also had a part paid shoot from there, which is my first and only bad experience with a photographer.

11 December 2007 05:55
RobM
Photographer

I got banned from Model Mayhem for being too argumentative and aggressive in the forums. Mostly becuase I kept reminding them that sometimes the UK popint of view on something was different and that the American way wasn't the only way

Remember: If you can't have fun doing it, then it ain't worth doing

11 December 2007 06:28
RedShutePhotography
Photographer

I have read this thread with  a vested interest and have to say I have worked with more models from Model Mayhem than I have Purestorm, Also I find alot of people on Model Mayhem feel more inclined to contact me. But I like the chat on Purestorm its more of a community and you can mention muffins and spandex and people have a laugh about it. Also if I was on MM only I wouldn't have met great people.

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. ~Ansel Adams www.rsphotographics.110mb.com

11 December 2007 14:17
Serena
Model

I joined Model Mayhem about 3 months ago.  I have had 1 shoot from there with a chap called Adrian Cutter.  I thoroughly recommend him.  We did some great stuff in Liverpool.  Do check him out.  Great guy. 

I've not had any other work from there yet but I think it's a site worth putting a few pictures on. happy5
Fun, friendly and experienced mature model with lively personality and youthful figure!

12 December 2007 15:46
Venustas
Photographer

Personally I find MM friendlier. The people on there have always been free with the advice and help when needed and certainly seem to show a more open mind to things.

Some of the people on here really shock me at how rude agressive or downright bitchy they can be and had this site been my first experience of photographer/model networking sites online I would have just turned the pc back off and stuck to business cards and ads.
Yes on MM there are those types too but they get shot down by everyone else as arrogant egotistical pillocks whereas on here they seem to be in the majority.

Having said that there are plenty of decent people on here and being more uk based I have had more models contact me on here for tfp (mixed blessing).

Saying there are better photographers on here compared to all you can find on MM is concieted and I wasnt shocked to note it was a moderator who said as much.

I note sombody says photogs on MM only offer TFP well shock shock horror horror thats the case with models on here and MM and all over the net because the view of nearly everyone on the internet is everything should be for free. I get paid more by doing events. I just do the odd TFP via these sites to bulk up the portfolio to get the paid jobs outside of the net.

12 December 2007 18:04
miss_kristine
Model

What I meant is that on MM I've experienced to get nothing but TFPCD offers. No paid work whatsoever. While on here and NM I do actually get quite a lot of paid work.

And I kinda get the impression that on MM the reason they dont pay their models is because they got the "my amazing talent and excellent work should be payment enough for the model" attitude, and not like on here and NM that they dont pay because they simply just cant afford paying their models.

Thats what I've experienced anyway...

Liz P is off-line
12 December 2007 19:29
Lizzie_P
Photographer
Lizzie_P
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from Venustas

Personally I find MM friendlier. The people on there have always been free with the advice and help when needed and certainly seem to show a more open mind to things.

Some of the people on here really shock me at how rude agressive or downright bitchy they can be and had this site been my first experience of photographer/model networking sites online I would have just turned the pc back off and stuck to business cards and ads.
Yes on MM there are those types too but they get shot down by everyone else as arrogant egotistical pillocks whereas on here they seem to be in the majority.

Having said that there are plenty of decent people on here and being more uk based I have had more models contact me on here for tfp (mixed blessing).

Saying there are better photographers on here compared to all you can find on MM is concieted and I wasnt shocked to note it was a moderator who said as much.

I note sombody says photogs on MM only offer TFP well shock shock horror horror thats the case with models on here and MM and all over the net because the view of nearly everyone on the internet is everything should be for free. I get paid more by doing events. I just do the odd TFP via these sites to bulk up the portfolio to get the paid jobs outside of the net.

I agree, the forums have a lot more advice and interesting discussion topics. It is also a lot busier, and the topics move much quicker so theres always something new to read. I don't post so the friendliness thing doesn't bother me, and even though they are mostly American, they do give some good advice. I tend to listen more to the Pro New York fashion photogs who post, I figure they know what they are talking about!

Pyretta Blaze is off-line
13 December 2007 12:02
PyrettaBlaze
Model
PyrettaBlaze
Swansea
Swansea

Im on MM, I dont really find it any good for work as it seems USA orientated, but the people are sweet
I'm not an artist, I'm a work of art.

172 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alaispeach ashleighmckenzie Bleeding_rose1 BrionyM claire_marie27 cody danithompson dannielise Ddavy dems2011 donnydean ellarose GemmaRickett hannahpeachytaylor jennykiss69 Jessica_Scarlett JessicaMetz KatieAnna KatieC1990 ladyartist LauraReeves lauz125 LisbethModel LukeBradleyStott michellehush MissRubyRexx misstrixierisque mstopaz Neeks92 oohemily pamelawhat Poison1974 Poline rachelkate Rage Rhiannagrey rubysea sas23 Soph2302 sophiemaddison Tashaholz tilliemodel tishie20 tonileanne whosthatgirl
albumzd AlexMorrison alfirth alwayscouture arteephoto asnphotography badger bavister bbphotos BhanuAlley bicycleracer bigcolin BluewaterPhotos borojohn brian_markie brianappleyard cherry_blossom_media ChrisOr chrispics clarmike clearview_photography CLNimages corky cos08 danny_springgay dannyrich dave2008 daveinsurrey Davidhepworth dfletcher4images digiwarp DJ200 eirikkn epsmith Essexjohn fireplace Gavrelle gazmorris gemini_fotografik gerry99111 gperl grisey gsphoto H_M_D_P hampshirehog Hardwick Hexpictures holywood hubertczajka Ianmcculloch imageatthemill insideimages jakeyboy Jhonjames Joe29 johnboy2 josh_woodcock_photography karr182 Ken_Smith Kjoservices larslavell lenscap lify love lre92 LWalker madisonbass mareeoosh mark44 markeewould marlhamphoto martyn_b mattcairns michael6996 Mikex79 mklein mobi36 modjo30 musicman Myshoot Neil_M nicmarchant Paphotouk Paul_Jones peteb peter_d_photography peterh photographybyfleur Picturemike pixelworx pmeu prism35 quentinferier RazorSharpImages rembrandt Requiem RobSmithArts rodandthefaces ron RTNPhotography shinywear silverstar Simon_P Simon2503 snapychapy sniffer socialdisaster Steve_Stanford stevegosh stevespurgin stiletto StNeots stolenfaces thegingertwins theleedschap TheStudioMK Thunder_Photos TiptonPhotography tonycsm Tris viewphotographic vivt wayne
HeatherMac Karly_SFX_Makeup
prpstudios uniquecapturestudio