This thread is being watched by 2 people
Chris Richards is off-line
22 August 2012 18:40
crlightworks
Photographer
crlightworks
East Sussex
Crowborough

It would be really nice to see some more models comment on this thread. I found the responses from Chrissie_Red and cathfazzaxxx to be really insightful.

I can quite understand how a shoot at a 'home studio' could sound a bit daunting to models, with the conceptual potential of 'dirty on the decking', 'cosy in the conservatory', and 'sultry on the sofa', but I think it only takes a look at the photographers profile and images to get where they're coming from regarding a 'home studio' shoot.

Is shooting at a home studio not all part of 'the revolution', with the artists being able to produce their work from home without needing the big boys (studios, etc)? Like the sort of thing Seth Godin talks about in his book 'Linchpin'. Obviously, there are undeniable benefits to using a proper studio to shoot in, but I'm just saying.

I've done the vast majority of my studio work at home, and I kind of like that fact that I can produce the images I do in my lounge with speedlights that some struggle to do in a 'real studio' with all that space and proper studio strobes etc. Shooting at home certainly minimises the outlay and the risk (especially in the case of no-shows).

I think HowardJ's points are all good, but especially his point about avoiding ending up with the same look all the time. For that reason if I want a 'set', I'll scout a suitable location to shoot at and dress/light it accordingly (generally something I do with reliable models or when I've been able to score some Felix Felicis). That helps keeps things fresh.

I've had several TF shoots (as well as paying clients) at my home studio and there's never been a problem. I conduct shoots in a professional manner. My partner is always present and we give all models (TF or Paid) the same treatment; providing them with a comfortable changing room with snacks and drinks, air-con for the hot months, we have first aid kits (my partner is first aid trained) and fire extinguishers.

The idea of a 'home studio' may have a certain stigma for now, but perhaps in these revolutionary times, it could be the way things are going.

ajc07977 (Andrew) is off-line
22 August 2012 20:06
ajc07977
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
ajc07977
Suffolk
Ipswich

Quote from crlightworks
" I can quite understand how a shoot at a 'home studio' could sound a bit daunting to models, with the conceptual potential of 'dirty on the decking', 'cosy in the conservatory', and 'sultry on the sofa' "

To be truthful ... for me ... 95% of the time I find so called 'proper' studios to be AS 'tacky' or 'cheap' as some home studios (and in many cases SEVERAL times more cliche, predictable and too often MORE 'cringe worthy'.)

I'm biased though ... as I am very very rarely impressed by or drawn towards most bland studio set ups. Why ? (well see above for starters) and as many have said - most spaces have that 'same background' look - be that tacky sheet set-up in a dining room ... or 'next please' commercial studio naffness. The IRONY - is that although I pride myself in following an 'environentmental shooter' ethos; many models are actually drawn to the 'studio look' that I (mostly) hate. For many it = 'professional' 
This I guess, makes me and outsider or 'higher than common lowest denominator' ? 

I love to see REAL environments used (albeit ones that are tidied up and 'optimised' somewhat !!) cheeky 

Why remove all charachter and 'real life' personality from a shooting environment - instead EMBRACE it (or use correct undertanding of selective lighting and exposure, often with fast glass and shallow DOF, to disguise background 'clutter' ... or sometimes 'enhance' what background features you have).

www.ajcphotography.com

andyh is off-line
23 August 2012 00:03
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

Quote from stolenfaces
 once you get into tfp people's experiences and requirements may be less straightforward.

Que?

Shoot's a shoot, why's money bending whats acceptable?
www.andyh.info/blog.php

Mike Riot is off-line
23 August 2012 04:11
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Quote from andy_h
Que?

Shoot's a shoot, why's money bending whats acceptable?

I don't think Mr Stolen meant it in a bad way, but some people will be happy to put themselves at risk for a few quid
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

24 August 2012 14:00
Violet_Ecstasy
Model

I've worked with approx 15 photographers in their homes/garages/outdoor buildings, and 5 at my home. I had been kind of put off shoots in my own home but my most recent one changed my mind. frown I would shoot at home again but I try to be more selective. 

Neil Anderson is off-line
24 August 2012 14:36
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from MikeRiot

I don't think Mr Stolen meant it in a bad way, but some people will be happy to put themselves at risk for a few quid

I meant that most models who actually get paid jobs (and you would consider paying) tend to be experienced and realistic.
The spectrum of experience and expectations of those doing tfp is wider. For example a new model may think she should only work with professionals,
Even an experienced model doing tfp may have specific ideas about the shoot location which fits the type of shots she feels she needs.

I wasn't suggesting that some people 'would be happy to put themselves at risk' models who get paid usually have a pretty good view of risks and are able to weigh them up intelligently.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Mike Riot is off-line
24 August 2012 15:20
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

My bad
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

Oscars Photostudio is off-line
25 August 2012 03:41
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Cheshire
Nr Warrington

It's a pity that so few models have taken the time to offer their opinion on this subject. Can it be that they have no problem with home studios anyway.

I've been using mine for about 20years. It is quite small. A few models have said that they have worked in smaller spaces. The models have use of another room for changing.
Recently I bought 3 sissor brackets (wall mounted) and a wall mounted boom arm (hair light) which keeps the floor area clearer. The only problem is trying to avoid filling the room up with other things when it's not in use and finding somewhere to put them when it is.
I have a set of brackets with paper rolls mounted above the window which eliminates alot of the natural light.

Set it up and have fun.

25 August 2012 05:28
AbiHillModel
Model

I've worked on several home shoots and been more than OK with it. I tell people where i'm going, how long I expect to be and I always take some spare money with me just in case.

Obviously clean surroundings are preferable regardless of the shoot location, but I think sometimes studios are too clinical and sets can look really quite unnatural whereas a home set up can be a lot more relaxed and "believable" if you're going for a conceptual shoot.

Check references, make solid travel plans even if close to where you're based and always tell someone where you're going. Go with your gut feeling and if you feel uncomfortable at any time just be upfront and if necessary leave.
http://www.wix.com/abihill/official

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Actor_H mandymack RoxyMendez winX
ad360photo bbphotos Blancho Bninja Chris_Mansfield david1500 Glam2k iDubai2018 Johno1 JOOPninja Kjoservices Ladiesman metro mike0048 moritz78 MrDL msmith_tog nickdandalos peterh redbaron Shootonlocation Snooper911 stevegosh