This thread is being watched by 2 people
Mike Riot is off-line
22 August 2012 09:49
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Right, I have a fairly decent sized spare room and have been thinking for a while about getting some brackets up, getting some paper rolls and having my own personal home studio.

The question is, do models feel safe and are you happy shooting in a photographers home? I don't want to get some stuff and then no one want to work with me because they don't like going to photographers homes.

Mike
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

andyh is off-line
22 August 2012 09:53
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Lancashire
Lancaster

The majority of my stuff has been shot either in my house, near my house, models place or at a hotel/location. Never had a problem and as far as I'm aware it's not been a showstopper in setting up a shoot

I dont think there's a massive amount of distance between gropey tog at their own studio or gropey tog at their house, but I'm not a model so I dont really know
www.andyh.info/blog.php

Chrissie Red is off-line
22 August 2012 09:56
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I actually feel more comfortable in a home studio, means if the shoot over runs at all we won't be getting chased out - unless photographers wife comes home and kicks me out

Mike Croshaw is off-line
22 August 2012 09:59
Mcroshaw
Photographer
Mcroshaw
Berkshire

Most of my stuff has been shot in my dining room! Never had a problem in 50 odd shoots.

Steve M is off-line
22 August 2012 10:04
Steve_M
Photographer
Steve_M
Nottinghamshire

Like andy_h I've photographed many models in my home studio. Never had any problems with this. I can't see as to why it's any different to taking a model to a secluded outdoor location or a hired hall for instance (both of which I've done many times too).

I do always suggest the model brings a friend but this doesn't happen that often.

Mike Riot is off-line
22 August 2012 10:11
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Thing is, I have also heard some horror stories about models at photographers houses.
I've never had a problem, as my feedback suggests, and I've shot on location, in a studio, at a models house and in my hotel rooms.

I just didn't want to splash-the-cash and end up not using it
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

22 August 2012 10:16
cathfazaxxx
Model

Quote from MikeRiot
Right, I have a fairly decent sized spare room and have been thinking for a while about getting some brackets up, getting some paper rolls and having my own personal home studio.

The question is, do models feel safe and are you happy shooting in a photographers home? I don't want to get some stuff and then no one want to work with me because they don't like going to photographers homes.

Mike

I thought that was my room for when I move over looool.

I think it's a good idea Mike it saves you spending the dosh to go to studios and travelling.

And you are a nice relaxed guy
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

Chrissie Red is off-line
22 August 2012 10:16
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from MikeRiot
Thing is, I have also heard some horror stories about models at photographers houses. I've never had a problem, as my feedback suggests, and I've shot on location, in a studio, at a models house and in my hotel rooms. I just didn't want to splash-the-cash and end up not using it

Most of the shoots I've done have been either on location, in my home or in a photographers home.
The majority of "troubled" shoots I've had have been when I've been working in a studio.
I wouldn't work with a completely new photographer in their home studio but you don't have that problem as you have refs so I shouldn't think it would be anything to worry about at all.

22 August 2012 10:17
Blacklion
Photographer

I would say 90% of the shoots I've done have been at my home and there's never been a problem. I can only recall trying to book one model who was new who stated she didn't work at a home studio. Having a spare room to set up a studio is a dream. I normally have to re-arrange my front room to set things up!

Paul Hodson is off-line
22 August 2012 10:38
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I have had models to my home without problem. Frankly being collected by car and driven into the middle of nowhere - which I also do - is probably a lot more worrying - and potentially dangerous too. After all at least the model can tell her family and friends the address she is going to.

Of course if you are collecting at a station the model still cannot be sure of where she is going.

More about references than anything else - if they can be trusted.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah DanielleWx Kacie NikkiLouise93 RoxyMendez Zadi
63jian dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Dphphotography jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy Ladiesman liteangle peteb Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales stevegosh Stoker thelook zprangz