Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
16 August 2012 03:29
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

It's basically a set of motor skills.

I think the most reliable method would be to follow the example of actors, which is to learn the muscular movements in the various parts of your face (and sometimes other parts of the body) and then practice them until you can reproduce all the expressions you've learnt, and in time subtly vary them.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 August 2012 03:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If the OP is wanting to go 'hardcore' with this I'm wondering if the Alexander Technique is worth looking at?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

gerda.m.model is off-lineSilver Member
16 August 2012 04:16
gerda_babbii
Model
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from skymouse
It's basically a set of motor skills.

I think the most reliable method would be to follow the example of actors, which is to learn the muscular movements in the various parts of your face (and sometimes other parts of the body) and then practice them until you can reproduce all the expressions you've learnt, and in time subtly vary them.

Will sure give it a go? Thanks
www.gerdamodelling.weebly.com

16 August 2012 04:17
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from RedChecker
If the OP is wanting to go 'hardcore' with this I'm wondering if the Alexander Technique is worth looking at?

Whats that? hehe

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 August 2012 04:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from gerda_babbii
Whats that? hehe

To be honest I haven't a clue but many actors and singers use it (it's all about muscle relaxation and control I believe)

I mention this as G-Man (from the Half-Life video games) was based on Alexander Technique practitioner Frank Sheldon (mentioned HERE).  The 'making of' book of the game shows how the game's creators took video and stills of Frank's face running through cycles of facial expressions to enable the programmers to maniuplate the character's face to recreate moods and expressions as demonstrated here
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chris Dee is off-line
16 August 2012 09:35
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
"that far off look" - studying that is easy, just look at ballet dancers they do it perfectly and look beautiful. xx

cheeky

16 August 2012 12:33
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from RedChecker
To be honest I haven't a clue but many actors and singers use it (it's all about muscle relaxation and control I believe)

I mention this as G-Man (from the Half-Life video games) was based on Alexander Technique practitioner Frank Sheldon (mentioned HERE).  The 'making of' book of the game shows how the game's creators took video and stills of Frank's face running through cycles of facial expressions to enable the programmers to maniuplate the character's face to recreate moods and expressions as demonstrated here

Cheers ill have to look into that

Bobby D Foto is off-lineGold Member
16 August 2012 13:02
FotoCreate
Photographer
FotoCreate
Hampshire
Southampton

go to this link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvqyOe6vsM 

That should give you pretty much any expression you'll ever need!

Best wishes,

B.
"The bad news is: Time flies. The good news is: You're the pilot!"

18 August 2012 14:53
madala
Photographer

Quote from mgphotomedia

Learn to develop a mood mentally in your head. Your expressions should then reflect that mood and as a consequence look convincing. A decent photographer should be able to help you develop the required mood.

+1

I have long been giving this advice to models.  It is equally as effective as an aid to getting the requested pose 'right.'  The inner thoughts translate into body language almost automatically.

How can a shot work if you are sitting on a sharp, hard, pointed rock with the thought going though your head is, "How much longer ? this hurts!"  and the photographer calls hor a happy smile ?

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
miles
bigearspix cygnet kesi