gerda_babbii
Model
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Hi
Can any models or photographers give me some advice on how to improve my expressions PLEASE other than practise in the mirror lol what sort of expressions would help me improve and how to master the art
I seem to get a bit stuck on fashion based shoots and end up with the same results i do try to do something different but normally look dopey so go back to the same old stuff.

Im interested and keen to learn more strong beauty/edgy and fashion expressions so any advice and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance X
www.gerdamodelling.weebly.com

15 August 2012 04:14
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Learn to develop a mood mentally in your head. Your expressions should then reflect that mood and as a consequence look convincing. A decent photographer should be able to help you develop the required mood.

gerda.m.model is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2012 04:19
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Ok thanks will try to practice that and put it to the test on the next shoot. Thanks

Alan Johnson is off-line
15 August 2012 04:22
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Collect images from magazines etc into a scrap book,  gives you some reference material for expressions to try.

Don't hold any expression for long.  When you hold an expression,  it tends to quickly go 'wooden'.  I often count a model in,  when I need an expression.

Relax 

Some find it useful to have a 'story' in their head to provide the reason for an expression.  Thinking of something that makes you smile, or frown or whatever can make the expression far more realistic.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

15 August 2012 04:28
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from Alan_Jay
Collect images from magazines etc into a scrap book,  gives you some reference material for expressions to try.

Don't hold any expression for long.  When you hold an expression,  it tends to quickly go 'wooden'.  I often count a model in,  when I need an expression.

Relax 

Some find it useful to have a 'story' in their head to provide the reason for an expression.  Thinking of something that makes you smile, or frown or whatever can make the expression far more realistic.

Thank you i am now on google images trying to find some interesting expressions
Thanks

15 August 2012 04:30
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Think i will stick to magazines lol most of google images for stong facial expressions come up with stuff like...............

Think i will give that one a miss lol

Paul Jones is off-line
15 August 2012 09:35
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from gerda_babbii

Hi Can any models or photographers give me some advice on how to improve my expressions PLEASE other than practise in the mirror lol what sort of expressions would help me improve and how to master the art

How does an actor do it?
They get into the role and play the part.

It's not just about 'looking happy' or 'smile for the camera'.
You have to be at one with your emotions.

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Chrissie Red is off-line
15 August 2012 09:58
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Looking in the mirror does help - or taking self portraits of the expressions and then studying them back on the camera and figuring out which ones work/need to be stronger or need to be toned down a little. I hated nearly every picture of my face from my first shoot, my expressions were awful - I was trying to look "sultry" but I looked like I had just chewed a wasp which was repeatedly stinging the inside out my mouth - yes.. it was that bad. My problem was over expressing, I didn't realise how stupid I looked until I seen the pictures. So I toned it all down and practiced lots with self portraits, my favourite expression is "that far off look" - studying that is easy, just look at ballet dancers they do it perfectly and look beautiful.
xx

15 August 2012 10:29
gerda_babbii
Model
gerda_babbii
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Thanks everyone will try all that as really need to improve

15 August 2012 11:30
TMG
Photographer

Do you not a have a photographer you can muck around with (for want of a better way of putting it)? I know the advice is to develop a narrative in your head and act it out, but I believe even actors have problems if there is no-one opposite them to act against.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jonnywoo Njsphotography woody