Reminder Secure

Advice On Opening A Small Studio Space

This thread is being watched by 1 person
13 August 2012 11:00
cathfazaxxx
Model

Does anyone think of me renting a space in Bristol to make it into a small studio would work?

As I can't shoot from home and can't move at present, all I can do is work at studios or photographers houses. But most can not provide somewhere to shoot.

I have been umming and eying for ages whether to sort something out but I don't want to do it if it is going to fail...

Someone give me advice
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

John VonGeezer is off-line
13 August 2012 11:06
GaryWallace
Photographer

Dorset
Bournemouth

studios are an expensive toy for most and a meagre living for some. Only a very few seem to get a decent living out of one. The gear alone could set you back a small fortune. It might make more sense to do a deal with an existing one. Negotiate a special rate and offer it as part of a package.

13 August 2012 11:21
flashman
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Not only have you rent to pay there will be rates, insurance, utility bills plus the initial decorating costs. Then as Gary said equipment is not cheap. Lights, softboxes, backdrops, props. Then the essentials, tea, coffee, JAFFA CAKES, soft drinks. You need to check BEFORE you sign anything that the landlord is happy for its use and then the local council will grant planning permission for a possible change of use. Once all this is done there are the legal fees and these are not cheap.
Good luck

13 August 2012 11:22
cathfazaxxx
Model

Quote from flashman
Not only have you rent to pay there will be rates, insurance, utility bills plus the initial decorating costs. Then as Gary said equipment is not cheap. Lights, softboxes, backdrops, props. Then the essentials, tea, coffee, JAFFA CAKES, soft drinks. You need to check BEFORE you sign anything that the landlord is happy for its use and then the local council will grant planning permission for a possible change of use. Once all this is done there are the legal fees and these are not cheap.
Good luck

that sounds like soooo much work.

i just want to be able to provide somewhere i can shoot booo
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
13 August 2012 11:57
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Why not talk to a local studio about a discount structure for volume bookings you make of their studio space. Once up and running you could cost out shared sessions to other photographers in small groups or as individuals! The problem is once you narrow down your options to a certain studio or a space you own or a studio you set up at home it might affect your market or just not increase it enough to justify the expense! Your contact rate here on PS is really good but be cautious that it will grow dramatically with additional dynamics!
Dominic

Peter Hague is off-line
13 August 2012 12:08
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from cathfazaxxx
i just want to be able to provide somewhere i can shoot booo

Any local hotels (independent, not chains) or guest houses etc ou can talk into letting you use them? I use to have several such deals and got decent rates from them.

"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

13 August 2012 12:21
CJI01
Photographer

I went to the Princes Trust fund for funding my own studio.
Business plan was a very rewarding process.
www.cjimages.co.uk

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
13 August 2012 18:06
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

I had a studio about 3 years ago (before i built my own at my home address).
It was a spare room above a hairdressers.
The owner offered it to me for free, but i ended up paying a small amount of money (about £30 per month) for its use.
I left because it was a 30 mile round trip, and i used to get sick of no shows.
My friend (another PS member) still uses it.
Is there anything like that in your area? A company that may have a spare room you could use?

13 August 2012 18:20
RobGolding
Photographer

As far as I am aware, there are 3 studios in Bristol at the moment. MJM studio's has 2 (different locations) and if I remember right, there are studios at Orange Street in St Pauls(Lemon lane photography)

Then there is the new Hengrove Studio's opening shortly, my mate Martyn Russell is opening with his partner Kim.

I would say that this is not a good time to be opening up a studio in Bristol....

diipii is off-line
14 August 2012 09:53
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Keep your money in your own pocket.
It only happens all the time.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
idubai2018 poah portalphotography