FallenAngel07 is off-line
01 August 2012 18:13
fallenAngel07
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Cumbria
barrow in furness

[ multiple identical threads merged by Moderator  ]

Is it common for models to go to shoots alone? Ive been given the oppertunity to do a shoot with a photographer but its quite a distance from me the photographer is willing my expensives but should i go alone? His studio is in his home by the way xxx

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
01 August 2012 18:15
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

In reply to the question - yes it is very common.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

Chrissie Red is off-line
01 August 2012 18:26
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I go to nearly all my shoots alone, If I'm travelling some distance though in the past my partner has travelled with me and just stayed at the hotel or went off and done his own thing while I shoot. Although I imagine your travel companion would need to pay their own travel costs. Many photographers work from home, nothing to be afraid of if he has good references then you will be fine. Also a good idea to contact some of the girls who have left him a reference and ask them for a bit more detail on what he is like to work with.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
01 August 2012 18:29
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Your finger seems to have stuck on the send button but yes models do travel to shoots alone. I shoot from home and I don't see any difference whether the shoot is at a home set up or a studio. Why should one be any safer than the other. You'll find both are as dangerous or safe as each other.
If the photographer is on here he/she will have some references. That should be a good indication of their character.
A good way to test a photographer is ask if it's okay to bring a "chaperone" da da daaaaa! yes I said it. Depending on the excuse the photographer gives on why you should not bring one. Should give you some idea on how safe you might be.

Seriously if you don't feel comfortable then don't go but generally we as photographer's are ok.

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2012 18:46
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

Quote from frankpht
Depending on the excuse the photographer gives on why you should not bring one. Should give you some idea on how safe you might be.

a) 'They tend to get in the way when I'm busy trying to chop the model into tiny pieces and put her in a bin bag' = dodgy

b) 'I have an up to date Certificate of Sanity from the Sanity Commission, have never been arrested, am semi-professional and was once married' = only slightly dodgy

c) ' that' = could go either way

01 August 2012 19:55
CJI01
Photographer

Some togs have a studio which they also live in.
Doesn't mean that they are not respectable.
I've worked for legendary togs and many lived at their studios.
www.cjimages.co.uk

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2012 23:58
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Whats distance got to do with it.
When behind closed doors you are as safe or unsafe if its 1 mile away or 300 miles away.
Look at the Tansy's tips for models http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=209563 , follow up a few references off models with PM's and then decide.
I shoot from home and have a studio in my garden, and think i am perfectly safe to be with. In fact you are more than welcome to come here for a TF* shoot (bring a chaperone too if you wish).
Other togs (but not all) are the same.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
02 August 2012 02:55
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Models are usually unacccompanied.

The question of whether you "should" or "shouldn't" bring someone with you can't be answered. Either you want to or you don't. And either the photographer accepts this or doesn't.

What is important, though, is that you ask the photographer (preferably early in your discussions) whether it's ok for someone to come along. Some photographers will be ok with this and some not. The only "Should or shouldn't" I will give here is that you definitely shouldn't turn up to a shoot with an extra person that the photographer wasn't expecting and hadn't already agreed on.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
02 August 2012 03:30
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

I allow chaperones to come with a model but only on the the following terms:
  1. they pay their own travel expenses (I once had one fly in from Dublin with the model at his own expense)
  2. they do not interfere with the shoot regarding poses or pre-agreed shoot content. (boyfriends can be a problem as chaperone, especially on nude shoots)
  3. they do not act in away that disturbs the model during the shoot. Most chaperones I have experienced have been very helpful as willing 'gaffers' and 'riggers' on shoots and making the tea etc. but one was evicted from the shoot location, by the model I might add, for putting her off her stride with snide remarks and being caught out as a 'secret drinker'.  Their engagement ended that day!
  4. the model is responsible for the chaperone's actions - if the chaperone misbehaves and spoils the shoot the model faces losing her fee. Fortunately I have never had to cancel a shoot because of a chaperone's actions.
On the whole I have no problem with a chaperone accompanying a model and always offer the option during the pre-shoot discussions. Most models I work with do not bring chaperones and those that do usually do so because they can't drive and need a chauffeur!

I can understand some photographers not wanting chaperones, and I respect their reasons, but anything that makes the model more relaxed and happy on a shoot is an advantage in my book.

So, the decision has to be yours about whether you take a chaperone or not, but remember that 'he who pays the piper chooses the tune' and a phtographer also has the right to decide who they allow on the shoot.  Hopefully you can both negotiate a happy conclusion.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 August 2012 03:41
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from frankpht
A good way to test a photographer is ask if it's okay to bring a "chaperone" da da daaaaa! yes I said it.

Quite correct.
The better ones usually say no.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

39 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa caramacman danixhale missbelluk
ad360photo bbphotos carshaltonkev chandos DaveR70 Davidn dirkus Djanimation donaldmac eosfan Essexjohn extra_mayo geoffmarchant HarishPadalia iestyn john_at_tina_spice joolsy Ladiesman philippahh PhilStorm Pictureimage shox stephenmuddell stevegosh Steveh32 steven1 Stuartb swalsh58 Thunder_Photos Visions11 wacTony WainwrightM woody zx999uk
matt