Mosquitoes!!!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
indemnity is off-line
30 July 2012 06:37
indemnity
Photographer

Lancashire
Preston

Apart from all the advice of lotions and potions... in doors plug in gadgets worked for me, 6yrs in Canaries and 4yrs in Cyprus. Outdoors, might sound silly, but a fan stops them, they can't fly to their target in wind. You'll get bitten to death on a still night, not on a windy one.

Spike is off-line
30 July 2012 06:39
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

When I worked in the Hebrides vitamin B tablets or eating Marmite(high in vitamin B) definately made me less appealing to the Scottich midgies.
It may have a similar effect on mossies.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

30 July 2012 10:58
Gfun
Photographer

Healing brush tool works a treat :-)

Mike Rhys is off-line
31 July 2012 05:27
tob
Photographer
tob
Germany
Hamburg

Try high concentrated vitamin B1 pills, it will take a while until it works. Once you recognise a yeast smell, that lasts, at your skin you shall be "protected".
Usually you start this vitamin B1 treatment in spring and stop it in autumn when the mosquitos are gone.

My wife had the same problem as you, it worked for her.

Hotfrog is off-line
20 August 2012 08:27
Hotfrog
Photographer
Hotfrog
London

Is there something in Tonic soda (Quinine?) that deters them?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 August 2012 08:28
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Hotfrog

I tried that when I worked in Venezuela on someone's recommendation - little buggers still ate me alive every evening.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Spike is off-line
20 August 2012 08:57
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Quote from Hotfrog

Quinine used to be used to treat malaria, as far as I remember it is not a deterent against mosquitoes.

However on the off chance it does, it's an excellent reason to have a large Gin & Tonic at the !st sounds of buzzing, though if drinking outside I would cover myself in one of the more traditional repelents, on the strength of this thread have ordered some of the Avon stuff.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

20 August 2012 09:07
BexClark22
Model

I have been using avon so soft spray and it is a definite winner in keeping them away! I can see why as it smells of hairspray!!!!

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
20 August 2012 10:22
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Quote from BexClark22
I have been using avon so soft spray and it is a definite winner in keeping them away! I can see why as it smells of hairspray!!!!

Works for me.  I am usually a midgie and mossi magnet,

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

As does eating mega amounts of raw Garlic.  I once ate 8 globes (yes globes, not cloves)  of raw garlic in Crete and the mosquitoes just left me alone ....... but so then did the girlfriend, the smell of garlic was coming out in my socks for 4 days! surprise
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Ken Smith is off-line
20 August 2012 12:24
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

100% DEET for sale on Amazon with 101 reviews, mostly 5 stars:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramid-Repel-100-Insect-Repellent/dp/B000VZFNR4/
David Wilder, Unemployed, 42, ROCK LEGEND. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4NpAnDV8s

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chloejade25 Emmaheron KellieBBW
63jian ad360photo chandos clarmike colinpierce Creativedge eosfan Jb3329 Kjoservices KrissB kyber Ladiesman Lextalionis MauricesImagery MIB moritz78 nicholas_ainsley Oberonfoto Pat9669A pb_photography Platidonio shinywear siclews Steveh32 zzdigital
grailmodels
kerandastudio2