Reminder Secure

Mosquitoes!!!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
29 July 2012 11:24
BexClark22
Model

How do you keep the little buggers away!! I have tried all the lotions and potions and I am literally covered in mosquito bites! Because I have an allergy they have all swollen up and have gone so red!!!!!!! I can't find anything to make them leave me alone! Anyone have any suggestions?!

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2012 12:15
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

citronella oil can help to keep them away, they supposedly don't like the smell of it, as to the bites teatree oil can help put a small amount onto the bite and I do mean small amount very good antiseptic.

29 July 2012 12:43
firework
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from BexClark22
How do you keep the little buggers away!! I have tried all the lotions and potions and I am literally covered in mosquito bites! Because I have an allergy they have all swollen up and have gone so red!!!!!!! I can't find anything to make them leave me alone! Anyone have any suggestions?!

i look like you could play dot to dot on my body =(

when you find a potion or lotion please let me no x

29 July 2012 13:01
BexClark22
Model

I will try citronella, I know the horse fly sprays contain it! Also I have pure tea tree oil so will put some of that on and will let you know how it goes

And same with the dot to dot thing! It is driving me mad, I look ridiculous!!

Profile Pictures is off-line
29 July 2012 13:02
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Jungle formula maximum, from boots, makes evening shoots, especially near or in water lots more comfortable.

29 July 2012 13:04
BexClark22
Model

I have tired Jungle formula and it doesn't work Maybe a have super sweet tasty blood :P

29 July 2012 13:15
Matthew1988
Photographer

Find something with lots of DEET in it, keep it away from anything plastic though as it is pretty strong.

scubie is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2012 13:20
scubie
Photographer
scubie
West Sussex
worthing

Having spent many nights in a bivvy fishing in France, I found "naff off" from equestrian shops to be the best. It does contain Citronella oil, don't use citronella oil on your skin unless well diluted -- will burn you!!
boots do a small pen called "afterbite"-- smells like it contains ammonia and works very well as long as you apply as soon as you get bitten. Jungle formula is totally useless!
If your sitting round a barbecue or similar, get some citronella candles, they do them on long sticks to shove in the ground.
I feel your pain

Doug

JackR is off-line
29 July 2012 13:55
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
West Midlands
Burntwood

Bex - there is only one thing that Mozzies absolutely HATE.... Avon 'Skin-so-Soft' Dry body oil spray.

You can buy it anywhere online cheaper than Avon sell it for. I have used it successfully in the tropics, UK, Middle East, etc...

PG_Photographic is off-line
29 July 2012 13:56
PG_Photographic
Photographer

Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Assuming it is the same for mosquitoes as it is for midges the traditional method used to be smoking a pipe. Certainly seemed to work when my Father and Grandfather smoked pipes but doesn't seem as effective with cigarettes presumably because they don't generate as much smoke.

Basically, I believe midges track you mainly through the carbon dioxide you breathe out and can actually detect changes up to 200m away although I think once closer up they also pick up natural odours from your body.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment
antoinewynn clarmike D_H_P diphoto Don_Dark eosfan Essexjohn gshocker30 imageatthemill JohnDentonPhoto kennmac1957 MIB mrdl Njsphotography panda49 plld psn Thunder_Photos Twilightphotography xcellent