Reminder Secure

How do you get the NHS to get a wiggle on

20 July 2012 09:08
alshepherd
Model

It's not really model related but it's getting on my wick. Well I've been have severe pains in my upper back and it's affecting my left wrist as well. This has been going on since janurary, which consequently meant I ended up losing my job as a hairdresser. I have paid god knows how much to brilliant osteopaths, and sports masseurs, and a lot of other holistic methods, also went to physio. But they still don't know whats up, and I'm trying to get an mri scan sorted, which they said they'd referred me for, not they've F*** up on that, I keep badging them but nothing works. I'm 19 so shouldn't be having problems like this. Any ideas what route I can go down? Or how I can get the NHS to hurry up x
See my full portfolio at http://anniesnow.wix.com/official

Alan Johnson is off-line
20 July 2012 09:37
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

I'm no expert,  but I'd go back and see your doctor and push for dates.  If that doesn't work you may need to complain to your PCT, (Primary Care Trust).

Don't let it drag on.  The daughter of a friend had a similar problem getting to see specilaists at 20,  she now has severe problems which everyone is saying is due to 'her leaving it so long'!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Matt Harper is off-line
20 July 2012 09:43
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

A hell of a lot of hairdressers get wrist problems, a lot get back problems too, the result of prolonged twisting at a slightly leant over position.
However, it shouldn't be happening at 19, unless of course, you don't do anything else that keeps the back free and strong.

The only thing you can do is try your doctor again and maybe again. If it has stopped you working, I assume he or she knows this.

20 July 2012 11:08
alshepherd
Model

I've tried, but I get the same response that it's not urgent. I've even burst into tears a few times infront of them, which should show how much problems it's causing me. I've told them on many occasions I've lost my job because of it. I've got an apt next week, but it takes three weeks for them to write a dam letter it seems :/ x
See my full portfolio at http://anniesnow.wix.com/official

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
20 July 2012 20:12
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

If it's your GP saying it's not 'urgent', can you see a different GP? A letter from the GP to the consultant asking for the appointment to be expedited should hopefully lead to you being bumped up the waiting list.

Also phone the relevant department and ask them to make a note that you can come in at short notice if a cancellation comes up (as long as that's true!)

[advice courtesy of my partner, a former NHS worker ant]

21 July 2012 05:40
Dani-Elle
Model

Hello lovely, you need to be extremely assertive and pushy with them, especially when it comes to MRI scans because referring people costs them and they will avoid doing so if they can.

My friend had severe lower back issues which left her unable to move sometimes and despite paying for regular physio and her GP telling her there was nothing they could do to help and she should just stay active it persisted. In the end she got so Dani-Elle is a naughty person ed off and forked out for a private MRI scan and they found a slipped disc which in-tern required surgery. She is now back on the mend and her GP - extremely apologetic!

Another friend's mum went private altogether after being fobbed off by her GP for many years and they discovered that her back was broken! They also told her it was lucky they discovered it when they did.

My own experience: a couple of unexplained fits in my early teens led to persistent testing for epilepsy over and over again even though the occurrence of the fits did not match an epileptic pattern. Eventually, months down the line following a dangerous episode where I fell off my bicycle and into the middle of the road, the last resort was an MRI scan, and oh would you believe it; a brain tumour! Luckily it was benign but all that time they spent messing about, had it been malignant it may have been too late.

Some back troubles do occur due to wear and tear but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it checked out just to be sure. My dad did something to his back by bending down to pick my brother out of a pram when he was a baby and he must of been late 20's ish. Best to tackle an issue early days if it needs tackling. Firmly insist that you want an MRI scan and they should refer you then. If you still have no luck it may be best to see someone different.

Hope it all works out okay.
If a job is worth doing, Is worth doing right.

HowardJ is off-line
21 July 2012 06:16
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Dani-Elle
My own experience: a couple of unexplained fits in my early teens led to persistent testing for epilepsy over and over again even though the occurrence of the fits did not match an epileptic pattern. Eventually, months down the line following a dangerous episode where I fell off my bicycle and into the middle of the road, the last resort was an MRI scan, and oh would you believe it; a brain tumour! Luckily it was benign but all that time they spent messing about, had it been malignant it may have been too late.

My brother had a similar experience. 14 years of epilepsy from birth and all the associated medications and brain scans. My Dad eventually arranged an MRI on his company medical insurance. Bingo.. you've got a brain tumour the size of golf ball and it's going to be inoperable in 2 months and you'll die. One emergency op later, no epilepsy and no major adverse effects.

21 July 2012 06:22
Gfun
Photographer

Private doctors told to delay NHS Treatments

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/private-hospital-told-doctors-to-delay-nhs-work-to-boost-profits-7962582.html

Not an answer to the OP but on subject!

0 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators