What's with the low rates?

This thread is being watched by 3 people
Evelyn Knight is off-line
25 June 2012 06:58
Evelyn_Knight
Model

Dorset
Bournemouth

I keep seeing people putting up casting for models to shoot with them to nude or topless for like £20-£25 per hour.

My rates are £35 per hour for nude and £30 for topless and unless it was for a particularly good photographer, I just wouldn't accept anything less.

Thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

25 June 2012 07:01
Socialdisaster
Photographer

You are worth what you think you are worth. Whether or not anyone else agrees with you, or will pay, is a different topic that I would assume is governed by many different market factors.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

SHOOTING STAR by ratisha is off-line
25 June 2012 07:03
ratisha_photography
Photographer
ratisha_photography
County Durham
durham (stanley)

£20 to £25 is average

in nude if your good like ivoryflame you could get alot more (up to £55 i think) but unless you have a great reputation a perfect body for art nude or a great usp like being a well trained ballet dancer than £25 is right

in glamour it depends again good well published hard working models with great bodies again like jo louise and emma kate dawson can charge higher up to about £50

on average adult models only get £50 and ive seen quite a few offering discounts of £25

but its how much you skills and reputation are worth not how nude you are

ratisha

25 June 2012 07:09
istobie
Photographer

Quote from Evelyn_Knight
I keep seeing people putting up casting for models to shoot with them to nude or topless for like £20-£25 per hour.

My rates are £35 per hour for nude and £30 for topless and unless it was for a particularly good photographer, I just wouldn't accept anything less.

Thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

What kind of level of work are you getting at your rates ? If you're busy, question answered. If you're not getting enough work, lower your rates. If you're too busy, put your rates up a bit.

Rates have fallen however from a few years ago.

Colin Pierce is online
25 June 2012 07:12
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

At the end of the day it is the same as any other product. It is all down to market forces. If modelling is the career path you have chosen then you want to earn money at it. If you charge £35 for nude shoots and get sufficient work charging that then good for you and obviously the market has decided you are worth that. I personally usually pay only £25 to £30 for a nude model. It always baffles me really why models make a distinction between clothed and nude though. If you are willing to pose nude then why have the attitude of I will charge £20 for fashion but not take my clothes of for anything less than £35? If you are a model, then you are a model full stop. If you want to charge £35 then charge it as a flat rate for all genres. Can you imaging a photographer charging more UNLESS you take your clothes off.

Peter Hague is off-line
25 June 2012 07:17
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from ColinPierce
 It always baffles me really why models make a distinction between clothed and nude though. If you are willing to pose nude then why have the attitude of I will charge £20 for fashion but not take my clothes of for anything less than £35? If you are a model, then you are a model full stop. If you want to charge £35 then charge it as a flat rate for all genres.

That's fine in theory and the way it should be. In practise, a model would be ripped to pieces in the forums for asking  £35/hr for clothed shoots.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Orson Carter is off-line
25 June 2012 07:19
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
Somerset
near Frome

Quote from Evelyn_Knight
I keep seeing people putting up casting for models to shoot with them to nude or topless for like £20-£25 per hour. My rates are £35 per hour for nude and £30 for topless and unless it was for a particularly good photographer, I just wouldn't accept anything less. Thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

Do what works for you and leave other people to do what works for them. 
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

Matt Harper is off-line
25 June 2012 07:20
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from ColinPierce
At the end of the day it is the same as any other product. It is all down to market forces. If modelling is the career path you have chosen then you want to earn money at it. If you charge £35 for nude shoots and get sufficient work charging that then good for you and obviously the market has decided you are worth that. I personally usually pay only £25 to £30 for a nude model. It always baffles me really why models make a distinction between clothed and nude though. If you are willing to pose nude then why have the attitude of I will charge £20 for fashion but not take my clothes of for anything less than £35? If you are a model, then you are a model full stop. If you want to charge £35 then charge it as a flat rate for all genres. Can you imaging a photographer charging more UNLESS you take your clothes off.

Quite!
Boobs and bums are worth more than a face, experience or ability.  I suppose that isn't  models' faults, they just take advantage of it, when really, it is the photographers'  or publishers' faults as they have proven over the years that they are happy to pay more money for a girl to get her clothes off. 

SHOOTING STAR by ratisha is off-line
25 June 2012 07:23
ratisha_photography
Photographer
ratisha_photography
County Durham
durham (stanley)

to be fair as pointed out in another thread the other day models who take there clothes of are taking a much bigger risk in the long run (an inability to persue many careers) that should dictate that nude IS worth more than clothed as it poses a great reduction on the models options in life
ratisha

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
25 June 2012 07:41
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

The internet is a funny place.

Its only on sites like these where you get paid more depending on the level of nakedness. In the real world models get paid more for clothed work than most adult models on here make.

If you speak to the (very) few models on here who work in both sectors and who can/will cross the genre's, they will tell you their best paid jobs have always been fully clothed:-)

£25 is a low rate if you are getting booked for 2/3 hours and you have to travel 2 hours each way, but a good rate if you are getting booked for 6 hours ten mins down the road. Its about flexibility and common sense really.

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Chloejade25 chosin LunaDaze
ajsphotography Argentiq bbphotos colinpierce djb1 dorrian eyecandiphotography frankfoto geoffmarchant GSC4X James7799 john_at_tina_spice jpdo Kjoservices lenscape mike0048 nickdandalos ron rscott360 steveh32 vapourtrail vincent Willjamieson