Reminder Secure

Booking Hotel Rooms for Photoshoots - Whole night cost? or Photoshoot cost?

This thread is being watched by 4 people
Dragon Graffix is off-line
27 May 2012 16:20
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

I have photographed someone a couple of times modelling the clothes that they make themselves. Each time the seamstress/model has booked a hotel room for the photoshoot. She has paid for a full night (which includes breakfast) even though we have only used the room for 4 hours. Nothing in the room (towels, bedding, toiletries) are used, and nothing is really disturbed. The first time the hotel knocked a fer pounds off the bill, and the second time, nothing at all.

May I ask those of you with more experience of this, is paying for a whole night standard practice? or do you find it easy to negotiate a better price based on just using it for a photography backdrop?

Just interested in what you have to say, and if it saves the seamstress a few quid next time, then it would help her!

Thanks
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

Tim is off-line
27 May 2012 16:45
Zprangz
Photographer
Zprangz
Somerset
Cheddar

Negotate with the hotel and others in the area, if they know you are looking elsewhere you may get a better deal.  However if they are part of a big chain of hotels then there will be policy on these matters.

Do you need to shoot in a bedroom?  Most hotels have meeting rooms you can hire by the hour, so could be worth asking about.

Tim Large TA Craft Photography

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
27 May 2012 18:08
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

I have been advised that you can book a day rate for a room. This is sometimes significantly cheaper.

Never tried it myself though.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Rupert Rudd is off-line
27 May 2012 18:18
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Three weeks ago I used a small hotel near Kings X and asked if they still did rooms by the hour. By reply I got "not any more, the area has cleaned its' act up since St Pancras and Eurostar and we make better money".
Made me smile.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Paul is off-line
27 May 2012 18:57
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocation
West Midlands
UK Professional Photographer

Why not check out the photographer friendly hotel register

Just give me a couple of months to design and launch it first

Having said that, everthing i have invented so far in life already existed. It was just hiding
.. it is what you leave out of the photograph that makes the picture

Mike Riot is off-line
28 May 2012 06:35
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Honestly, Premier Inn for £29 a whole night... or Travel Lodge for £19... Can't go wrong
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

Peter Hague is off-line
28 May 2012 06:43
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Most hotels prefer to work on their standrad overnight stay terms. If they let it to you for the day, chances are they won't be able to resell it for the night, and they'll be making a loss on the deal. Of course, it's possible to find a privately run hotel who may have empty rooms they'd rather let in the day for a lower fee than see no return at all, but that's one of the photographers skills, sourcings such places.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Garry Ent is off-line
28 May 2012 12:07
garrye
Photographer
garrye
Lancashire
bolton

These are worth a look at for day rates

http://www.between9and5.com

KHV is off-line
28 May 2012 12:24
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Oh yes, Travel Lodge and Premier Inn you really cannot polish a turd.

If you are going to use a hotel because it's got something special, then hire something suitable, and be prepared to pay a few hundred and sum more for a night.

28 May 2012 20:04
photoclassic
Photographer

Quote from MikeRiot
Honestly, Premier Inn for £29 a whole night... or Travel Lodge for £19... Can't go wrong

Premier Inn will go absolutely nuts if they catch you.  Company policy is absolutely no bookings for photoshoots and it's almost certainly the same in most other chain hotels where they have a uniform branding of decor.  Best to use a private hotel rather than a chain, where you can negotiate directly with the owner for a mutually agreeable rate.

I've never booked a hotel for a model shoot but for my private boudoir clients I recommend they deal with the hotels rather than me as the managers are more understanding and less likely to bump up the price. 
We do not stop playing because we have grown old; we grow old because we have stopped playing

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs isobel111 zavego
ad360photo belmez2000 Blancho cygnet Essexjohn eyecandiphotography Gentleguy gwentman Jobe JohnDentonPhoto jonnywoo kaosrox M1chae15 mlp nickdandalos p4pFetography rikspiks rscott360 stephenmuddell stevegosh thelook tms