18 May 2012 19:03
Neonpink
Model
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
Neonpink
Greater Manchester
Manchester

I'm not the best at doing makeup and want to be able to produce make-up looks (Nothing complicated) of a higher standard when im required to do my own make-up on shoots.

Im currently a student already (nothing to do with make-up) so I imagine it would be difficult to do a make-up course at the same time due to costs, I know when kit is purchased it can get pretty pricey!

What about any make-up books? Does anyone recommend them and if so, which are the best for photography make-up.

Im not looking to become an expert or anything, just want to be taught how to apply make-up properly and at least get my make-up techniques to of a higher standard.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
19 May 2012 03:41
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

You could pay a MUA to make you up and ask her/him to explain what they are doing and why..

Si
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Ariana Wood is off-line
20 May 2012 15:54
ArianaWood
Model

Kent
Maidstone

Youtube tutorials are also great for all sorts of different looks/explanations/etc.

Laura Shipman is off-line
20 May 2012 18:42
laurashipmanmua
Make-up Artist

Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

I like Bobbi Brown's book, and Kevyn Aucoin's is good too.

beauvoir is off-line
21 May 2012 00:54
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

If you're a little hard up for cash, why not get a notebook. Then you can rip ideas out of magazines as they have pictures and tutorials in there, often with really gorgeous pictures. And it's good for inspiration as well as even if they don't have instructions, you can still get the pictures and play around in front of a mirror. Also, you can find so many tutorials on youtube, so write down step by step instructions and a link to the video.

Laura Jo is off-line
21 May 2012 07:46
Neonpink
Model
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
Neonpink
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Quote from laurashipmanmua
I like Bobbi Brown's book, and Kevyn Aucoin's is good too.

Is it the Bobbi Brown make-up manual?

Just had a preview of it and it looks pretty good! I'll check the other one out, thanks!

David Hunt Images is off-lineSilver Member
21 May 2012 12:25
DavidHunt
Photographer
DavidHunt
Hampshire
Portsmouth

PM Sent
www.davidhuntimages.co.uk www.themakeoverstudio.com

Laura Shipman is off-line
23 May 2012 18:48
laurashipmanmua
Make-up Artist

Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from Neonpink

Is it the Bobbi Brown make-up manual?

Just had a preview of it and it looks pretty good! I'll check the other one out, thanks!

Yeah it is, some people complain that there's a section aimed at aspiring MUA's but most of it is about skin care and make up tutorials, what colours will suit certain skin tones.

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CIEGE_CJ Coldasice80 mandymack xxalixx
chandos extra_mayo frankpht Jamesfitzpatrick JohnDentonPhoto LGI modelimages4u NatashaCalamita Pegasuspics rscott360